Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who bought their car in March with basic autopilot for $2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have bought the autopilot if I had time to try it out, but as I said the trial ended without notice.

Half price now would be a nice gesture? For those who bought in that period.

It didn’t end without notice. Originally the cut off for it expiring was Sunday, March 17, as that was when I decided to buy it before it was gone. Had thought about it for two weeks. Then Elon announced it would be extended a few more days—thinking Wednesday of that week, wasn’t following that much at that point.

Tesla responded at that time with the half off AP/FSD options only due to the car’s price being reduced by several thousand (think maybe even as much as a $6K difference) which upset buyers who paid more for their cars prior to March 1. So they offered this discounted option to them. For people who got their cars at a lower price after March 1, and still want to get AP/FSD at half off prices are you also willing to now go back and pay more for your car to match our prices? Fair is fair, right?

Last edited:
Got my Basic Autopilot for $2,600CAD ($2,000USD) post-delivery.
LR RWD delivered June 2018 with no AP or FSD.

There was a sort of fire-sale for a short period that you would only know about if you followed Elon or Tesla on Twitter.
Logged on to Tesla account and saw the lower pricing.
Many people were not aware of the "sale" because it was not officially communicated to anyone as far as I know.

Good luck.

Actually it was post on Tesla’s site. There was a blog post about it. The info in the Forbes article I linked to summarized it but someone on Tesla’s forum had quoted it at the time and it’s still visible there. The Tesla forum site poster provided a link at the time. The specific blog was taken down sometime after it expired but I do recall having seen it on their site while I made up my mind to order at the half off price.

As others are outlining, Tesla changed how features were packaged between Autopilot, Enhanced Autopilot, and Full Self-Driving; and they've changed the pricing of those features several times. This has led to a lot of confusion, not to mention complaints when people realized that they could have gotten a better deal on these packages under whatever the pricing offer of the day was.

I'm posting because I placed my order on March 14, 2019, and I took delivery of my car on March 30 -- the same delivery day as @wdewing999. At that time, Autopilot was fairly basic -- mostly just lane-keep assist and adaptive cruise control. Several features that had been part of Enhanced Autopilot a few months earlier had been moved into the FSD package by the time I bought my car. These include automated lane changes, Summon, and Autopark. Navigate on Autopilot was also part of FSD, but I don't recall if it was ever part of Enhanced Autopilot. I believe this feature split between Autopilot and FSD remains the same today, but Autopilot is now standard on everything except the off-menu SR.

My purchase agreement shows a price for Autopilot of $3,000 and of FSD of $5,000. My recollection is that Tesla offered these prices as valid at the time of purchase, and that each one (or at least FSD) would be $1,000 more if purchased later. Thus, the quoted $3,000 sounds right, if not better than advertised in March of 2019. I see that FSD is now $7,000. Although the basic Autopilot package is now standard, Tesla changed prices when they made it standard, resulting in an effective price increase of a bit less than the then-current Autopilot price.

All that said, I recall back in March that Tesla would occasionally offer free trials of Autopilot, with reduced pricing during the trial period, to entice existing owners to fork over more money. I haven't followed whether such free trials have continued. If they have, then @wdewing999 might consider waiting for the next one in the hope of getting Autopilot for less money.
I had a free trial, was going to purchase it toward the end, and it abruptly ended 20 days earlier. I was and am not happy. TESLA will not honor the reduced price and can’t explain why the autopilot abruptly ended early.

Reactions: Tom K
As far as I know, currently that is not possible, as has been explained upthread. I know this situation has been somewhat confusing.

That offer expired months ago. Offer was back in first few weeks of March. Maybe they will offer something in the future but Musk has said FSD’s price will be increasing as they get the feature set in place and get final govt approval.

Ah, okay. Is there a way to upgrade from EAP to FSD at all at this point, and if so, what's the price? I'm asking because I do not see anything on the My Tesla page, but I may just be missing something obvious. Thanks for the info.

Ah, okay. Is there a way to upgrade from EAP to FSD at all at this point, and if so, what's the price? I'm asking because I do not see anything on the My Tesla page, but I may just be missing something obvious. Thanks for the info.

AFAIK yes- and some have reported it showing on their tesla page as purchasable right there so odd you don't see it.

I think it was $3000 prior to the launch of advanced summon, and I think should be 4k now.

Just wait until Tesla needs cash again and they'll have another fire sale. I bought in my M3 8/2018 without EAP or FSD. In 3/2019 they had a fire sale with AP for $2k and FSD for $3k. I bought both then, although I regret buying FSD since I've yet to get any value out of it and expect I never will.

As Tesla had made abundantly clear to all their early adopters, it pays to be patient and wait to buy.

Just wait until Tesla needs cash again and they'll have another fire sale.

So... never then?

Tesla not only has billions in cash on hand, they're cash-flow positive, and expected to remain so at this point.

I bought in my M3 8/2018 without EAP or FSD. In 3/2019 they had a fire sale with AP for $2k and FSD for $3k. I bought both then, although I regret buying FSD since I've yet to get any value out of it and expect I never will.

As Tesla had made abundantly clear to all their early adopters, it pays to be patient and wait to buy.

Those couple of weeks are the only time, ever, that Tesla sold those for below the original prices. And publicly admitted doing so was a mistake they don't intend to repeat.

So suggesting to just wait for them to make the same mistake again seems....poor advice.

Just wait until Tesla needs cash again and they'll have another fire sale. I bought in my M3 8/2018 without EAP or FSD. In 3/2019 they had a fire sale with AP for $2k and FSD for $3k. I bought both then, although I regret buying FSD since I've yet to get any value out of it and expect I never will.

You may well be correct; however, I also wonder how much the "fire sales" have had to do with Tesla needing quick infusions of cash. They were profitable last quarter, and if that continues, Tesla may be less motivated to offer such deals. I'm certainly not saying that I'm certain that there will never again be such sales, but we're all trying to predict the future from the past, and it's not clear that the past is a solid guide to the future on this issue. I realize that's frustrating to people who want to make a decision about a purchase in the low thousands of dollars, but it's where we are because Tesla has been very willing to change pricing on short notice.

“Basic” Autopilot (TACC and Autosteer) is now included with every Tesla. It’s not an option. You don’t have to spend extra money to get those features. And they are extremely useful features.

Full Self Driving is an option.
For people who didnt buy it before it was free. It is an option to buy today.
My understanding is that the OP wants to buy AP only since he doesnt have it.
AP lone in my opinion is not worth the 3k.

“Basic” Autopilot (TACC and Autosteer) is now included with every Tesla. It’s not an option. You don’t have to spend extra money to get those features. And they are extremely useful features.

Full Self Driving is an option.
For people who didnt buy it before it was free. It is an option to buy today.
My understanding is that the OP wants to buy AP only since he doesnt have it.
AP lone in my opinion is not worth the 3k.
See the screen capture shown below of one of the Model 3 order configuration pages. Autopilot is not “an option to buy today”. It is included with every Tesla at no additional cost. FSD (Full Self Driving) is an option that you pay extra for.

9C9CE8DB-9F77-416F-A38B-7096633BC1B9.png

See the screen capture shown below of one of the Model 3 order configuration pages. Autopilot is not “an option to buy today”

Except, it is.

On every single Model 3 Tesla ever delivered prior to ~April 2019 that didn't buy at least EAP yet.

Because AP didn't become "included" until then.

100% of those owners have the option to buy basic AP today in their Tesla.com accounts.

So... never then?

Tesla not only has billions in cash on hand, they're cash-flow positive, and expected to remain so at this point.

Those couple of weeks are the only time, ever, that Tesla sold those for below the original prices. And publicly admitted doing so was a mistake they don't intend to repeat.

So suggesting to just wait for them to make the same mistake again seems....poor advice.

Never say never. I agree that they’re in better financial shape now. But, we’ll see what happens at the end of Q1 2020. That’s been their toughest quarter in the past. I’d at least wait until then.

And, just because they say something is a mistake and they never do it again, doesn’t mean it’s true. They often say free supercharging is a bad idea, but they keep using it to drive sales.

And, just because they say something is a mistake and they never do it again, doesn’t mean it’s true. They often say free supercharging is a bad idea, but they keep using it to drive sales.

FWIW they stopped using it quite a while ago on the 3 (assuming you mean lifetime)

They're using it on the S/X again, but profit margins are much higher (and sales volume much lower) on those

I’m going to re-quote that this member said upthread because I think it nicely clarifies the situation, which can be confusing.
On March 1st, Tesla announced “All customers who bought a Tesla before yesterday’s price decrease will be able to buy the Autopilot or Full Self-Driving capability for half of what those features would normally cost after initial purchase.”
  • Tesla owners who hadn’t bought EAP can get basic Auto Pilot for $2,000 (it normally costs $4,000 after purchase) and FSD for an additional $3,000. In other words, for $5,000 they’re getting what would have cost $8,000 if they had ordered it when they purchased the car or $11,000 as an upgrade. So,someone who hadn’t ordered auto pilot or FSD and wants those features are getting what amounts to a $6,000 discount. Good deal for the folks who didn’t buy what Tesla was selling.
  • Anyone who bought Auto Pilot* ($5K on purchase or $7K afer purchase) will now be able to upgrade to FSD for $2,000 as opposed to the $5,000 previous upgrade price. These folks (myself among them) get a $3,000 discount over the orginal upgrade price. But even if I upgrade with the discount, I still wind up paying $1,790 for my car — including the upgrades and after taking advantage of the larger tax credit, then someone who orders the car today.”

See the screen capture shown below of one of the Model 3 order configuration pages. Autopilot is not “an option to buy today”. It is included with every Tesla at no additional cost.
And to clarify my statement, I was referring to a new purchase made today, not to someone trying to add AP to a car they bought months ago. My apologies.

You may well be correct; however, I also wonder how much the "fire sales" have had to do with Tesla needing quick infusions of cash. They were profitable last quarter, and if that continues, Tesla may be less motivated to offer such deals. I'm certainly not saying that I'm certain that there will never again be such sales, but we're all trying to predict the future from the past, and it's not clear that the past is a solid guide to the future on this issue. I realize that's frustrating to people who want to make a decision about a purchase in the low thousands of dollars, but it's where we are because Tesla has been very willing to change pricing on short notice.

You don't understand how accounting works

You don't understand how accounting works

correct. While a 'fire' sale does bring in cash today, that cash is mostly a liability and not revenue and therefore has nothing to do with profit today (or this quarter). So boosting profits was not the reason for last year's fire sale, particularly those with HW 2.5.

OTOH, since 'Feature Complete" will be next week or so -- yeah, right -- more revenue could be had from any additional FSD sales.