Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who bought their car in March with basic autopilot for $2k

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW they stopped using it quite a while ago on the 3 (assuming you mean lifetime)

They're using it on the S/X again, but profit margins are much higher (and sales volume much lower) on those

I agree about SC.Free SC also hurts in the form of lines, waits and power costs (esp on high volume 3)

FSD/AP though helps for data gathering etc. It's pure profit for Tesla when it comes to us holdouts. I wish they would do free trials again soon.

Reactions: wdewing999
I agree about SC.Free SC also hurts in the form of lines, waits and power costs (esp on high volume 3)

FSD/AP though helps for data gathering etc. It's pure profit for Tesla when it comes to us holdouts. I wish they would do free trials again soon.

I agree. I’m not sure why basic autopilot is $3000 for those of us who purchased before April 12, 2019. Here is what Tesla says:

1) We are putting basic autopilot on all new Tesla cars because it has been proven that cars driven with autopilot are safer than those without it.

2) We gather autopilot data from all cars using autopilot so that we can use deep learning to teach autopilot how to self drive.

you would think that just those two things would be enough for Tesla to offer basic autopilot to those who don’t have it, for a price far less than $3000, but add to that we only saw a $2k price increase or less on cars delivered after April 12 and that makes $3k sound ridiculous.

Reactions: vickh
AFAIK yes- and some have reported it showing on their tesla page as purchasable right there so odd you don't see it.

I think it was $3000 prior to the launch of advanced summon, and I think should be 4k now.

Hmm, I don't see it on my page still, but for $4k I am okay without it for now. EAP gives me advanced summon regardless, though tbh I have never really used it. Thanks for the info all the same.

If anyone is in a similar boat to me (EAP, no FSD), but sees the option to upgrade, please post a screenshot. Like I said, I might just be blind (all the more reason to get FSD!) :)

Hmm, I don't see it on my page still, but for $4k I am okay without it for now. EAP gives me advanced summon regardless, though tbh I have never really used it. Thanks for the info all the same.

If anyone is in a similar boat to me (EAP, no FSD), but sees the option to upgrade, please post a screenshot. Like I said, I might just be blind (all the more reason to get FSD!) :)

I have EAP on my model 3 (April '18 delivery) and just checked: FSD upgrade is available for $4k. (I passed on the $2k fire sale.) Sorry, no screen shot.

Reactions: cantsingh
I got my 3 RWD LR in May 2018 with no autopilot of any kind. In very early March '19, when the $2000 AP fire sale hit, I had just gotten my tax refund a few days prior, with my $7500 tax credit in it. So I clicked the button and got what's now known as "Base AP" for $2000. The sale was supposed to be the whole month of March but ended after 7 to 10 days. I guess a lot of people jumped on it!

Would I ever buy FSD for $7000? No way in hell. Way too expensive. FSD / NOAP might be nice, but I don't need it that bad.

If Tesla ever gave us the option for Base AP cars to add turn signal lane changes for a few hundred bucks, I'd get that, it'd be nice to have.

I upgraded from EAP to FSD on my Nov 2016 Model X P100D on Mar 7, 2019 for $2,000 and added Autopilot to my Apr 2018 Model 3 LR RWD on Mar 13, 2019 for $2,000. That price was only available for a week or two because everyone flipped out about Tesla lowering the price, so they hiked the price back up and have since increase FSD by another $1,000.

The natives get restless if Tesla lower's the price on anything.

Neither was an option at purchase of the car for that price, they were upgrade offers for people who purchased before the option change and price drop.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cantsingh
I upgraded from EAP to FSD on my Nov 2016 Model X P100D on Mar 7, 2019 for $2,000 and added Autopilot to my Apr 2018 Model 3 LR RWD on Mar 13, 2019 for $2,000. That price was only available for a week or two because everyone flipped out about Tesla lowering the price, so they hiked the price back up and have since increase FSD by another $1,000.

The natives get restless if Tesla lower's the price on anything.

Neither was an option at purchase of the car for that price, they were upgrade offers for people who purchased before the option change and price drop.

Agreed. "Natives" need to be reminded that the people who qualified for the lower AP price had paid more for the car.

Agreed. "Natives" need to be reminded that the people who qualified for the lower AP price had paid more for the car.

I thank those people who have posted, and I see there were some who purchased in March 2019 and were able to take advantage of the $2000 price. Which means they paid what I paid.

I also see some who weren’t sure about those of us who don’t have any autopilot so I am posting an image of what my auto pilot purchasing screen looks like.

Attachments

• 4FEBA67B-B758-4AFD-BC5F-92246F1F2837.png
    4FEBA67B-B758-4AFD-BC5F-92246F1F2837.png
    114.8 KB · Views: 69
I thank those people who have posted, and I see there were some who purchased in March 2019 and were able to take advantage of the $2000 price. Which means they paid what I paid.

I also see some who weren’t sure about those of us who don’t have any autopilot so I am posting an image of what my auto pilot purchasing screen looks like.

that's roughly comparable to the total cost of the old EAP and FSD when they were available (and outside the little 2 week window of confusion around March 2019) if you bought them post-car-purchase.

They were $5000 and $3000 with the car respectively, but 1-2k more (bounced around from time to time), each, after purchase.

OPTIONS....
I accept delivery of my M3 SR+ today. I missed the new build w/ wireless charge and usb_c by 1 day(June 3), but no biggie.
Basic autopilot as mentioned above went down to 2k, where on my PA it shows 3k. Will tesla price match during the 7 day return period? Can I refuse delivery and reorder? To me, for 1k, its worth waiting a month or 2 to cancel and re order.

OPTIONS....
I accept delivery of my M3 SR+ today. I missed the new build w/ wireless charge and usb_c by 1 day(June 3), but no biggie.
Basic autopilot as mentioned above went down to 2k, where on my PA it shows 3k. Will tesla price match during the 7 day return period? Can I refuse delivery and reorder? To me, for 1k, its worth waiting a month or 2 to cancel and re order.

Let us know what tesla tells you when you ask them, since that i what you need to do (ask tesla).

OPTIONS....

Bit confused here... SR+ (and everything except SR) should already come with basic AP included at no added charge- and has for over a year AFAIK.

OPTIONS....

I am scheduled to have my M3 SR+ delivery this week and my Order Agreement shows AutoPilot is included. Will the AutoPilot itemized in the PA?

OPTIONS....

The sale is only for older cars that were purchased without AP. There is no price adjustment for new cars, as AP is no longer an option is is standard.