Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who came from S to X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve currently got a P90D and about to take delivery of a new LR Model X 6 seater. Been leaning towards the X because it seats 6 (I have 4 kids) and has a trailer hitch from the factory (I put one on my S but it’s less than ideal). I’m finding myself worried that I’m going to miss the S.

Has anyone made a similar transition and care to share your thoughts?

Reactions: croman
I just moved from a 2015 Model S (which I loved) to a 2018 Model X. I did the move for a few reasons:

1. Higher driving stance
2. Easier to get in and out of
3. Towing capability standard
4. More room for cargo and passengers.
5. Latest tech - FSD capable.

Having said all of that, I do sometimes miss the S - the X sites much higher, and you don't get that same "stick to the road through the curves" feeling. Of course you also don't need to be a gymnast to get in and out. :)

I moved from 2014 RWD Model S 85 to 2019 7 seater Model X 100D, positives:
- quieter,
- smoother,
- seats are much more comfortable,
- better fit and finish,
- a bit more space in the back,
- it feels much heavier,
- security cameras,
- dashcam,
- cool falcon doors

Few negatives:
- less aftermarket support
- less efficient due to size and weight
- less options for aftermarket wheels (again due to weight)
- not much space in the back compared to S, my toddlers always kick front seats, which never happened in my van or even 2020 CR-V we are trading for Model Y in few months
- falcon doors are not really helpful in tight garage spaces
- worse headlight output compared to my xenon projectors
- no more free supercharging :(

I'm still getting around 230-250 miles on 90% SOC, same as I was getting in my S

But overall I'm super happy and my next car will be refreshed MX again in a 3-4 years :) Can't go back to anything else at this point :)

Original owner of a 2015 S85D, to a 2022 XLR (6 seat), took delivery last night (I just wrote a post about this). Built quality, fit and finish, and technology all significantly improved in 7 years. The S has the body color roof so the X glass roof / FWD doors are a huge difference. Son is happy that he doesn't feel like he's bumping his head on the roof anymore. This will make a better road trip car due to more spacious feeling, can fit more passengers, and longer range (the S is 243 RM a full charge, the X is 313 RM at 90% charge).

I don't have enough seat time in the X yet to have a well-formed impression but so far so good.

I'll kinda miss the free Supercharging and free connectivity, but probably what I'd miss more is the feeling from driving a Model S that's older than every Tesla on the road except for pre-Autopilot Model S and Roadsters. :cool:

Bruce.

Original owner of a 2015 S85D, to a 2022 XLR (6 seat), took delivery last night (I just wrote a post about this). Built quality, fit and finish, and technology all significantly improved in 7 years. The S has the body color roof so the X glass roof / FWD doors are a huge difference. Son is happy that he doesn't feel like he's bumping his head on the roof anymore. This will make a better road trip car due to more spacious feeling, can fit more passengers, and longer range (the S is 243 RM a full charge, the X is 313 RM at 90% charge).

I don't have enough seat time in the X yet to have a well-formed impression but so far so good.

I'll kinda miss the free Supercharging and free connectivity, but probably what I'd miss more is the feeling from driving a Model S that's older than every Tesla on the road except for pre-Autopilot Model S and Roadsters. :cool:

Bruce.
With 7 years of free Supercharging can you estimate a dollar value for it? I have it also and am curious as to your long term thoughts.

This depends entirely on your personal situation. If you don't have a charger where you park, and depend on a nearby supercharger, OR if you travel extensively, free supercharging is a big benefit. If not, it is not. I had free supercharging for about 4 years and probably saved something like $350 over the 4 years, so in my case it wasn't that big a deal.

Reactions: StanMI
Free supercharging is something I’ll give up as well. I suspect it’s about $500/yr for me. I have a second home about 4 hours from here that we drive to 6-8 times per year and I supercharge once or twice (depending on temps) each way. I don’t REALLY know the value though, because I’ve never had to pay for it.

Reactions: StanMI
I realize it's a relative amount. My thinking was more along the line of did you find value in it and if so can you associate a cost to It.

I tend to feel it has a value to me (right now) of about $500 per year. Not a make or break $$$$ but it is nice to have.

With 7 years of free Supercharging can you estimate a dollar value for it? I have it also and am curious as to your long term thoughts.

According to TeslaFI, I have 5640 kWh of Supercharging since late 2016, which it thinks is worth $786.29. I have no idea if the dollar amount is correct or what the cost is based on...it feels on the low side to me. That doesn't cover the entire time I've owned the car, but it's probably the right order of magnitude. As someone else pointed out it depends on your personal situation. I mostly charge at home (81%) but I also hunt Superchargers up and and down the US west coast.

Bruce.

The difference between the S and X is big sport sedan vs big SUV. I love my S, my wife loves the X. The S is all about style and performance, the X is a utility vehicle. The S is a 85D with the sunroof and all options but performance. The X again is all options but performance. We mostly use the X on road trips where it excels. We have a refrigerator/freezer between the middle seats which is accessible from the front seats. We do around 4 trips a year that average 4000 miles in the X. We've been in blizzards in the midwest and extreme heat in the Mojave desert. -14°F to 120°F, no problems. The is white on white because of the desert driving. The technology is much better in the newer 2019 X. The S feels obsolete in that area. It was great when new but now it's poor on long trips compared to the X. The S is more fun to drive still.

We moved from 2014 S85 (new) to 2018 X 100D (CPO) to 2022 X LR (new). Actually, I slightly prefer the lower stance of the S, but we got the Model X because we purchased an RV travel trailer. The cargo capacity of the Model X is a fringe benefit - the original Model S was good but the Model X is fantastic. We plan to purchase a Model 3 in the next 12 months, which will become our everyday driver and save the Model X for towing/cargo.

Fit and finish has improved over the years, but I expect that would be true for the Model S as well.

Just traded my 2013 MS P85+ for a 2016 MX P90DL last week. :)

I really liked the MS. It had the rear facing seats so our family of 6 could easily fit in and still have the enormous frunk for luggage. But the battery warranty was running out and also our 10 year old was starting to get too tall for the rear seats, so MX is the logical choice.

I was actually looking for something slightly newer, but this MX was a good price and they paid more for my MS than I had paid myself two years ago...

Pros:

+ Ludicrous+ :)
+ FWD doors are amazing
+ 7 seats that actually fit adults and are legal to use (MS is only type approved for 5 people in Europe, even if you have 7 seats).
+ Autopilot, although only AP1 but my MS had none.

Cons:

- Surprisingly MX has much smaller carrying capacity. Center row does not fold. You could sleep in MS trunk, no way in MX. And frunk is smaller too. We are in Finland so sometimes there might be a need to transport skis. No way to fit those inside the car and also MX can't have a roof box. I guess I won't be skiing..
- This MX has no tow hitch and it's not legal to fit one afterwards. But I have another car with towbar..
- This is ex-CPO so no free supercharging or premium data! But I don't supercharge very often..
- MCU1! I had upgraded my MS to MCU2, now a step backwards. But the eMMC chip is already fixed and MCU seems to work reasonably nicely.

- This MX has no tow hitch and it's not legal to fit one afterwards. But I have another car with towbar..
The aftermarket Draw-Tite 76143 hitch is specifically designed for the Model X. It's legal in the USA, but I have no idea about its legality in Finland or elsewhere in Europe. You would also need to check whether your Model X has the towing wiring, or whether that could be added at a Tesla Service Center.

I’ve currently got a P90D and about to take delivery of a new LR Model X 6 seater. Been leaning towards the X because it seats 6 (I have 4 kids) and has a trailer hitch from the factory (I put one on my S but it’s less than ideal). I’m finding myself worried that I’m going to miss the S.

Has anyone made a similar transition and care to share your thoughts?

I am coming from a 2016 MS P100D, just picked up a MXLR, so very similar situations. I have 2.5 yr old kid and another one on the way. The increased passenger space was the main reason we picked up the MX—the newer tech was just icing on the cake. I will tell you that the MXLR is no slouch—it still feels very fast. It might even be more responsive and peppy off the line the my MS or at least very close—the accelerator feels very sensitive. It even pulls hard at high speeds on the highway, just like my MS P100D. The ride feels smoother and quieter and the sound system is at least 10x better than my MS, especially in the bass/low frequency area. You will really enjoy the front visibility, especially out of the A-pillars. I’m sure you’ve experienced many situations in your MS where you can’t quite see what’s on the left or right when looking for oncoming traffic for example—this is no problem for the MX, it feels like you’re in some kind of dome or helicopter.

FYI I still have the MS P100D and plan to keep it for a very long time since I have free unlimited SCing and premium connectivity for life. I also don’t mind driving a performance sedan that’s planted to the road for errands and such :)

Reactions: Art VandeIay
I just went from Raven X to S Refresh.

With 4 kids. I think the X will work better.

I’m ordering an X hitch. It bolts right onto the S now. 3500 lb tow capacity though.

X towed great.

X had a softer ride. I won’t miss shudder.

I wouldn’t buy an X right now though. Needs a year to flush out bugs and ramp up issues. But if you want to be a beta tester, go for it.

The aftermarket Draw-Tite 76143 hitch is specifically designed for the Model X. It's legal in the USA, but I have no idea about its legality in Finland or elsewhere in Europe. You would also need to check whether your Model X has the towing wiring, or whether that could be added at a Tesla Service Center.

The issue in Europe is that the car papers show 0kg as allowed towing weight. Cars with factory towbar have 2250kg.

Changing that would require some official document from Tesla, explaining the steps and parts needed to convert 0kg car to 2250kg.

This is an unique Tesla problem, every other car brand marks all cars with max towing weight even if there is no factory installed tow bar..

• Informative
Reactions: gglockner