Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who can't charge from home.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Neilio

Jul 8, 2020
Brentford
So, we are moving to a bigger apartment at the end of the year. Our current apartment has free charging in the car park. It looks like the new one doesn't, despite vague assurances from the estate agents that it does.

Does anyone else lack home charging? If so, how do you deal with it? Charge everytime you're out, or just let it run down and then stick it on a public charger when you drop low for a big charge? I'm worried about the latter as I like the fact I can wake up with charge.

So, we are moving to a bigger apartment at the end of the year. Our current apartment has free charging in the car park. It looks like the new one doesn't, despite vague assurances from the estate agents that it does.

Does anyone else lack home charging? If so, how do you deal with it? Charge everytime you're out, or just let it run down and then stick it on a public charger when you drop low for a big charge? I'm worried about the latter as I like the fact I can wake up with charge.
I've been doing this for years, and it really helps to understand your daily commute. Winters will be worse than summer as the car uses more energy to keep the battery warm and protected so the car may wake itself up more depending on temps. Never an issue for me as I have an AC public charger 1 mile away, and a DC Fast charger 3 miles away. I typically charge once a week and don't have any issues or inconveniences. I only drive 20 miles a day though at the moment due to Covid. When I was doing more driving I'd charge 2 times a week.

Reactions: Neilio
I have no home charging, live in Ealing. I usually let it run down over a few days and will then pop it on a 7KW charger round the corner (Ubitricity or source london) for a few hours when I'm working from home or not planning on using it.
I will also typically supercharge for 10-15 mins if returning from a longer trip, often at Park royal, charging is pretty quick as the battery is usually warm and empty. I guess its not cheap compared to home charging, but seems to work fine for our use.
Obviously times are not normal, and I expect when I get back to the office and working more normally that pattern might change, We have work chargers, and I will probably need a bit more on route supercharging. There are plenty of options in london so its not too much of a problem.

Two useful comments there. My daily commute will be very similar to @webbah and I live one Borough over from @Reddom . I guess I'm just a bit annoyed because I'm losing out on home charging and the estate agent said there was some in the new place, but talking to residents there isn't. I guess I'll have to refuel like those silly ICE people !

Two useful comments there. My daily commute will be very similar to @webbah and I live one Borough over from @Reddom . I guess I'm just a bit annoyed because I'm losing out on home charging and the estate agent said there was some in the new place, but talking to residents there isn't. I guess I'll have to refuel like those silly ICE people !

I'm not in the UK, but one of the cheapest options I've found is from ENbW. With their "Frequent Charger" tarrif it's 4 Euro a month, and then 0.28 Euro Kwh for AC, or 0.38 Euro Kwh for DC with NO TIME LIMITS. Works with most networks throughout Europe and to my knowledge the UK. In Switzerland I am lucky as I pay 50 Chf a month for unlimited charging at any GreenMotion/ev-pass charger.

ENBW is a German utililty company but many of us switched from Maingau as they changed their pricing. Again, although I live in Switzerland and not Germany it was easy to sign up and use their app and get a charging card.

Does the car park not have standard AC outlets? You can get-by with one of those.
That's a good point. I'm not sure but in my current building these are reserved for cleaners and not residents. I might try and convince the owners of the block to put some in. Other similar apartment blocks round here all have charging points and at least 2 I know of are completely free to use. It makes sense to add them.

That's a good point. I'm not sure but in my current building these are reserved for cleaners and not residents. I might try and convince the owners of the block to put some in. Other similar apartment blocks round here all have charging points and at least 2 I know of are completely free to use. It makes sense to add them.

Worth speaking to the owners, Completely free isn't really free. The tenants pay for them.
Our developers put a few in when they built the place. Developers have since moved on and now the company running has decided to allow installation in parking spots without at your cost and then charge a flat fee for use. They may be happy to do the same.

I can only trickle charge due to some complicated issues with the panels in this complex and the lack of available power. With the pandemic and since I work from home, this seems okay for now. My girlfriend has no job but doesn't really need to work, so she's fine with trickle charging too.

This is different from 'can't charge at home' I know. What do people do when they have no home charging....Supercharger only?

We had a '7.2kW' installed into in-laws appt for our car. Thankfully a relatively easy install for location and used the same guy that had done another so he sort of knew the setup. Should point out at this point that the guy needed industrial installation qualifications, so not a regular spark.

A short while before install, by chance, the (residents) management committee put out a request to see if people wanted to install communal infrastructure for EV's. No takers except us, so when we sought permission, it was granted on basis that we paid the whole works (we expected that and no OLEV) but would have to follow the model, ie connected to flat meter (and installer) of the first (and up to that point, only) roadgoing EV install.

I had a long chat with the spark whilst having to act as go between him and some irate residents who has their power briefly disconnected and some wanting to barge into the plant room communal sockets to charge their golf buggy batteries whilst the front was off the fuse/distribution cabinet :eek: (quite frankly I should have let them electrocute themselves with their attitude, but thats another story). It transpires that not going with the communal infrastructure is a big mistake. There are quite a few flats sharing the same phases of the 3 phase supply, via a huge fusebox and distribution cabinet - hence the need for industrial install. I believe that each phase is rated at around 140A, so equivalent of around 50A per flat without diversity.

The plan of the communal infrastructure was to balance the supply somehow for all flats to share, but without the communal effort, its a first come first serve on the capacity of each of the 3 phases. Thankfully the first EV and ours are on different phases, so the spark was happy to sign us off on a dedicated 32A charge point. There is one more phase without a charge point, after that people will not be so lucky and certainly no spare capacity on which to install further dedicated 32A devices.

[edited for typos and clarity]

Last edited: