Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who cut it the closest coming back from Richmond?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to admit, after flying the flag for my Model S and telling the unconverted how range anxiety isn't an issue for me, I did experience some coming home last night. My trip down was 123 miles averaging about 285 Wh/m with liberal use of the go pedal. I left the race track with 143 miles of range, thinking 20 miles was plenty of cushion. I know there's a little elevation change going back up to the Blue Ridge but I didn't think that much as my house is at about 700 feet and we're close to the James River. I took it fairly easy from the start but after about 1 hour on the road my average was around 325 Wh/mi and it felt like I was constantly going uphill. At one point my projected range and remaining distance were equal. At that point I did the sailboat equivalent of pumping out my water and throwing the guns overboard, turning off my A/C and dropping my speed to just to around 60 mph. By time I got about 12-15 miles from home I had my 15 mile average down around 300 and had a 5 mile cushion. Got home with loads of electrons to spare!

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 423
You just beat me too, barely. I had 12 miles rated range when I got home. I only had about 57 miles once I got off the track but after close to 3 hours on a public charger at VCU, I calculated I could just make it home, 116 miles later, I was home. Since wasn't too hot I kept the A/C off and drove 55MPH. I did get about 233wh/mile on the drive home. That was a record for me, made up for my track driving.

I have to admit, after flying the flag for my Model S and telling the unconverted how range anxiety isn't an issue for me, I did experience some coming home last night. My trip down was 123 miles averaging about 285 Wh/m with liberal use of the go pedal. I left the race track with 143 miles of range, thinking 20 miles was plenty of cushion. I know there's a little elevation change going back up to the Blue Ridge but I didn't think that much as my house is at about 700 feet and we're close to the James River. I took it fairly easy from the start but after about 1 hour on the road my average was around 325 Wh/mi and it felt like I was constantly going uphill. At one point my projected range and remaining distance were equal. At that point I did the sailboat equivalent of pumping out my water and throwing the guns overboard, turning off my A/C and dropping my speed to just to around 60 mph. By time I got about 12-15 miles from home I had my 15 mile average down around 300 and had a 5 mile cushion. Got home with loads of electrons to spare!

Not a Richmond trip, but back in April i round tripped from Philly suburbs to DC and back to the Wilmington Supercharger (forgot my UMC) and hit 0 miles about 6.8 miles from the Wilmington rest stop. Coasted at 48mph while the car yelled at me the rest of the way, but still made it without the car shutting down on me.

538983_10151835124583032_109973665_n.jpg

Not a Richmond trip, but back in April i round tripped from Philly suburbs to DC and back to the Wilmington Supercharger (forgot my UMC) and hit 0 miles about 6.8 miles from the Wilmington rest stop. Coasted at 48mph while the car yelled at me the rest of the way, but still made it without the car shutting down on me.

View attachment 27817

I hope to never see that screen on my Model S

I only came from Williamsburg, but. . . .

I sat in a parking lot on I-64W for an hour getting there because of an ICE fire, had to journey to Midlothian to pick up my grandson, time on track, return grandson, stop on the way home for dinner.

Miles left when I pulled into garage: 5 rated miles.

Close.

Does anybody know what the loss is when sitting in traffic?
I would think its inconsequential if you have the ac off, any thoughts?

I have only been in traffic for short times (10-20 min) and I see very minimal range loss. In fact, when coming back from Richmond, there was some construction, and my Wh/mi increased while in traffic. I'm guessing because I was still moving, just at a very slow speed and my understanding is the most efficient speed of the model S is around 25-30MPH. But just sitting still, I would figure (w/o AC or heat) would be not much higher than when parked overnight (vampire loss). It would be the same as sitting in your driveway with the car on.

I have received a lot of questions from friends about this and I think you have a much higher chance of running out of gas in an ICE sitting in traffic then a Model S running out of charge. We had a very bad sudden snow storm in DC a couple of years ago and the Beltway (I-495) was littered with ICEs that ran out of gas. It was a very bad storm, it took my wife 4 hours to get the 15 miles home.