Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Does Not Experience Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting so have you ruled out the upgrade? I’m still on the fence. The extra acceleration will be lots of fun and the new console would be an improvement but im not so sure about doing it if they can’t get these vision issues worked out.

Does anyone know if its 100% confirmed that its mostly the vision cars having the bulk of the issues? I use AP a lot as well as TACC …this might be a deal breaker for me.
So i'll say this much. The biggest reason I didn't already trade my MYSR for the MYP.. is because I felt the 2021 MYP was TOO similar to what I already had. The last time I weighed things out, the upgrade would cost about $13k difference including sales tax. For $13k I'd get a car that was significantly faster.. but had the exact same interior.. only about 25% more range.. and thankfully around 50% faster charging (both at home & at 250kW Superchargers on road trips). But I'd also be losing radar, passenger lumbar, and a few other goodies. The final draw was the wheels & tires. The 21" Ultraturbines are super heavy (40lbs each) and it came with summer Pirelli tires.

Fast forward about 6 months and I'm so glad I waited. The 2022 MYP finally got rid of the summer tires, replaced by the much better all-around Michelin Pilot A/S4s. The new AMD chip. The 12V LiON battery. Heated windshield wipers. HEPA filter. And if I've waited this long, might as well give it another few months for Austin-built cars with the 4680 battery and what should be much better/thicker paint. Possibly even higher quality assembly all around, which means fewer gaps, rattles, and road noise.

Still sucks to lose radar. But the things above seem like pretty awesome upgrades and probably things I would actually notice.

My final hope is that radar returns. Make no mistake, radar was removed for one reason.. because of component shortages. Every new Model S and Model X (LR & Plaid) still comes with radar. If Tesla was truly 100% in on vision only, why does radar still ship with the more expensive S/X vehicles? Its my personal opinion that radar will return in the next year or chip/component availability returns to normal.. and growing pressure amounts on Tesla to deal with phantom braking events. Until then, it is what is.. and you kinda understand what you are getting yourself into by purchasing a Tesla with vision-only AP & FSD.

Reactions: WyomingEV
What was kind of weird last night was that while I was using AP and saw some police sirens flashing ahead on the side of the road. The car started to slow down so I took it out of AP. My wife asked if my car was trying to crash into the police car, and I said that they seem to have programmed the car to do the opposite now. My guess is flashing lights at night probably obstructs the camera enough that the car can't quite make out what's going on so it slows down as a precaution. It was pretty far ahead when the car slowed down though, so perhaps I'm wrong about that.
The AP software was updated in later 2021 to slow down if it sees emergency vehicles.

• Informative
Reactions: gx9901 and Daekwan
Are people with FSD beta experiencing the same PB issues?
I just got back from a roadtrip that I take every few weeks for work... Before I got into FSD Beta, it would always phantom brake when a truck pulled onto the freeway from a merging lane.... I was in this same situation a few hours ago, and luckily it didn't do it this time around... Same with passing semis... Previously, there was a high likelihood of a brake event while passing a semi... I passed several, and not a peep this time...

The only phantom brake event I got this time, was when I was going up a curved incline, and there was an oncoming semi in the oncoming lanes... Before FSD Beta, this would sometimes result in a hard phantom brake, where it would scrub 30mph.... This time, I got a phantom brake, but it was a brief pulse, but it only scrubbed three miles per hour. It basically dropped my speed from 75 to 72, and then accelerated back up to 75... Previously, I would have to manually hit the gas to bring it back up to speed quickly.

This has been my only phantom brake event since getting into FSD Beta... Previously, I was getting phantom braking pretty regularly, usually in the same spots of my commute... There's a 2 lane road near the base of the hill by my house, where TACC would always phantom brake with oncoming cars.... I haven't had any phantom brake events there since getting into FSD Beta...

Reactions: Electroman
I just got back from a roadtrip that I take every few weeks for work... Before I got into FSD Beta, it would always phantom brake when a truck pulled onto the freeway from a merging lane.... I was in this same situation a few hours ago, and luckily it didn't do it this time around... Same with passing semis... Previously, there was a high likelihood of a brake event while passing a semi... I passed several, and not a peep this time...

The only phantom brake event I got this time, was when I was going up a curved incline, and there was an oncoming semi in the oncoming lanes... Before FSD Beta, this would sometimes result in a hard phantom brake, where it would scrub 30mph.... This time, I got a phantom brake, but it was a brief pulse, but it only scrubbed three miles per hour. It basically dropped my speed from 75 to 72, and then accelerated back up to 75... Previously, I would have to manually hit the gas to bring it back up to speed quickly.

This has been my only phantom brake event since getting into FSD Beta... Previously, I was getting phantom braking pretty regularly, usually in the same spots of my commute... There's a 2 lane road near the base of the hill by my house, where TACC would always phantom brake with oncoming cars.... I haven't had any phantom brake events there since getting into FSD Beta...

This is the experience you get when you are driving with FSD Beta enabled, correct? (As opposed to just using AP on cars with the full FSD paid)

At least this gives me hope that Tesla has a code that handles PB better and will probably trickle into AP branch as well.

I did order MY with FSD.

This is the experience you get when you are driving with FSD Beta enabled, correct? (As opposed to just using AP on cars with the full FSD paid)

At least this gives me hope that Tesla has a code that handles PB better and will probably trickle into AP branch as well.

I did order MY with FSD.
Correct. That has been my experience anyways...