Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Does Not Experience Phantom Braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE:

Well I got my Model S end of December and took it for its first long ride today. I now know what Phantom braking is when using AP and passing trucks. Happened frequently today. This has never happened on the Y which has over 25,000km on the clock. Not sure what is different but something sure is.

Hope your experience isn't as bad as mine has been. Do you know if it still has the radar or did they gut it too like the did the 3/Y in May of last year?

Sad to hear about the S as ours will be here in about 2 weeks.

That was my understanding too. Very concerned if your S is bad. I can't stand our Model Y's phantom braking issue. I kept hoping it would get better and if not, sell it and hope our S (that should be with radar) would be better. This of course assumes they didn't push the S to full vision.

Really interesting @DayTrippin …. I’ve had little to no phantom braking on my new MYLR. 2022 VIN. I had a few instance that woke me up before the first SW update which was prior to the Xmas package but not much since. I’ve had some minor slowing in corners, and I mean minor. I’ve had a slight braking for a cyclist but nothing to write home about and today I was passing a broken down tractor trailer on I25 and had a tap on the brakes but only 2-3 mph dip in speed. Absolutely nothing drastic at least from my perspective. That is the extent of it for me. Now, I’m not FSD but I was in auto pilot with auto steering on.

I find it very interesting that this would be a car to car variance. A real controlled test of 100 cars would be damn interesting… ferret out the tolerance of the driver and the variance car to car, etc…. Oh well we’ll probably never see that. I hope your cars all come to where mine has been in the first 1000 miles. That part I’m please with. Now, auto headlights and auto wipers are a effin joke. I’m super pissed about the charge only usb-c ports in the center console. And the v11 GUI needs work. The Human Factors department (if there is one) needs serious attention. More generally, Tesla customer service is piss poor compared to my experience with Lexus and even Toyota. Lots for Elon to work on for sure. Tesla is going to wake up in a few years to a landscape of customers having choices. Choices from companies that know how to build cars and know how to take care of their customers. If Tesls don’t get their collective *sugar* together then that future isn’t going to be as bright as todays reality is.

Wake up Musk…. Love your cars but quit lying to us and service us like a person who bought a 70k car deserves. The wolves are coming!

Last edited:
It was horrendous the first few months after I got the car. Almost totally unusable. Each iteration it got better. Stlll not ready for prime time. It is very discouraging what @Midnightsun posted about his model S which still has radar. How will fool self driving ever work if phantom braking is this bad. I went about 5 miles tonight on 75 through Dallas and had one phantom braking event and I have absolutely no idea why.

I was in the HOV lane at about 70 mph and apparently something tricked it into braking. Not a massive one like it can be but about a nice 15-20 mph drop and luckily nobody close behind me. Maybe the tall little polls separating the HOV from the other lanes somehow fooled it.

I've never bothered with FSD as I can't see having even more of the same. I have enough issues in just basic AP and while using TACC. For the love of God Elon just give an actual dumb cruise option somehow.

Reactions: SFNM Jack
I do very often on 2 lane highway, and especially when a semi is coming the other way. Other times on the I-8 in AZ. Even though im on an interstate and no cars near me it will happen. Hopefully they will fix someday, because it breaks really hard at times.

I took delivery just about one year ago. Initially phantom braking was very frequent both on AP and TACC. It was happening pretty much every time i used either feature.

In the last three months though I only had two incidents. Im traveling the same routes so I believe software updates are slowly improving the system and reducing instances of phantom braking.

I had my first phantom braking last week. It wasn’t just scary for us, I felt sorry for the car behind (and credit to him for reacting quickly). What made it worse was that I was in the outside lane of three in order to overtake at freeway speeds. This is the worst lane for phantom braking, vehicles are not just going fast but they are accelerating in order to overtake

I have a 2022 Model 3 only 3 days old and it is Phantom braking everywhere, all the time with not one car, truck or obstacle anywhere. Bright sunny days, 2 to 4 lane highways, not one vehicle to my side, behind or in front....slams the brakes from 60 mph to as slow as 28 mph out of the blue for no reason. in the slow lane, it will slam the brakes for an approaching beginning of a guard rail, will brake nearing the crest of a hill as the cameras see the tree tops as "fast approaching", will slam the brakes hard at the end of a large dip in the road as the cameras see the upward section of the road as if the car is going to impale itself into the road. will brake for any size oncoming vehicle on a 2 lane road. essentially useless system. Needs a FEDEAL recall before someone is hurt bad. It IS NOT safe to use. VERY DANGEROUS.

I never had any phantom braking until I got the FSD beta which moved me to Tesla Vision. It is still a problem but has improved drastically in the past few months to the point that is is more a sudden slow down. Still the biggest drawback and needs work. And yes @shabbabear, late afternoon bright sunny days are the worst. Almost never happens in the evening.

I have a 2022 Model 3 only 3 days old and it is Phantom braking everywhere, all the time with not one car, truck or obstacle anywhere. Bright sunny days, 2 to 4 lane highways, not one vehicle to my side, behind or in front....slams the brakes from 60 mph to as slow as 28 mph out of the blue for no reason. in the slow lane, it will slam the brakes for an approaching beginning of a guard rail, will brake nearing the crest of a hill as the cameras see the tree tops as "fast approaching", will slam the brakes hard at the end of a large dip in the road as the cameras see the upward section of the road as if the car is going to impale itself into the road. will brake for any size oncoming vehicle on a 2 lane road. essentially useless system. Needs a FEDEAL recall before someone is hurt bad. It IS NOT safe to use. VERY DANGEROUS.
First post. Welcome!

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
Its happened only about 2 or 3 times in the 15K miles and 1-year of ownership of my 2021 Model Y w/radar.

Heard its much worst on the vision-only models.
Mine is February 2021 build and has radar. Very occasionally will phantom brake. Was really bad when i took delivery but slowly improved in the year since. I was thinking of upgrading to a P model. I thought vision was supposed to be better. Doesn’t sound like it from all the complaints and NHTSA investigation.

Mine is February 2021 build and has radar. Very occasionally will phantom brake. Was really bad when i took delivery but slowly improved in the year since. I was thinking of upgrading to a P model. I thought vision was supposed to be better. Doesn’t sound like it from all the complaints and NHTSA investigation.
Yep. Its one of the things that kept me from upgrading to an MYP last year.. as the value of our 2021 cars has now skyrocketed and made it very reasonable to trade up. Thanks to a 100mile commute, AP is one of the top 3 reasons I purchased a Tesla. I absolutely rely on it to get me back & forth to work with less fatigue.

Yep. Its one of the things that kept me from upgrading to an MYP last year.. as the value of our 2021 cars has now skyrocketed and made it very reasonable to trade up. Thanks to a 100mile commute, AP is one of the top 3 reasons I purchased a Tesla. I absolutely rely on it to get me back & forth to work with less fatigue.
Interesting so have you ruled out the upgrade? I’m still on the fence. The extra acceleration will be lots of fun and the new console would be an improvement but im not so sure about doing it if they can’t get these vision issues worked out.

Does anyone know if its 100% confirmed that its mostly the vision cars having the bulk of the issues? I use AP a lot as well as TACC …this might be a deal breaker for me.

Mine is vision-only and I've only experienced what I considered true phantom braking on one occasion. It was once in both directions during about a 30 mile trip on a highway between Minnesota and Wisconsin. That was the only time my car slowed down for no apparent reason. The few other times it seemingly phantom braked, I had a reasonable idea on why it happened. Because I've read about phantom braking so much, I generally only use AP when the cars behind me are not too close.

What was kind of weird last night was that while I was using AP and saw some police sirens flashing ahead on the side of the road. The car started to slow down so I took it out of AP. My wife asked if my car was trying to crash into the police car, and I said that they seem to have programmed the car to do the opposite now. My guess is flashing lights at night probably obstructs the camera enough that the car can't quite make out what's going on so it slows down as a precaution. It was pretty far ahead when the car slowed down though, so perhaps I'm wrong about that.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz