Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Else Doesn't Care about the Performance Model? vs. AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm quite comfortable with my decision, the lower price, the cheaper insurance and the extra range.

FYI, there is no difference on insurance with Performance (at least the stealth). I believe the VIN pattern is the same as the AWD so there's no differentiation from the carrier.

My P3D- costs nearly the same to insure as our Chevy Volt (in CA, Farmers).

Reactions: Scott7
I saw a thread on reddit yesterday where a lot of AWD users chimed in about how they regretted not purchasing the Performance model from the getgo.
Am I the only one who doesn't care about the P model? Even at $6500, I don't have any regrets and absolutely love my AWD. Am I out of the norm for being totally content?
A solid 90% of the posters are pretty salty about not springing for the P when they bought their AWD.
That being said, I had no idea that a P3D- was offered, that I should've done more research on but whats done is done.

I really, really, WANTED a P3D, but I didn't want to wait the additional six months or a year for the car, so I bought the first-production model, the LR RWD. (I wanted LR for my annual summer trip up to Canada for hiking, which, in the end, I only did once before moving to an island that's 50 miles long and 25 miles wide.) Coming from the Roadster, my Model 3 LR RWD is a little bit slower. But in the end, I really don't need to get to sixty in 3.5 (?) seconds. My car is the quickest off the line of any I ever see on the road. I suppose somebody here has a P and maybe an S-P100D. But the fact is that for merging and passing, this car is plenty quick, and when EAP is engaged, I don't feel the need to pass anybody. I don't need the LR battery, but if we were to get cloudy weather for a week, I could easily go that long without charging the car.

Best car ever. I'm glad I have it. No complaints about the price and no regrets about the version I got. In fact, if it were totaled now, I probably would not get P or D.

• Love
Reactions: WarpedOne
I just finished a 1000 mile drive to visit parents in my AWD. No auto pilot.

Vermont to Asheville. Overnight with a 5 year old......

The car did not disappoint at all and I was able to make moves and be decisive. It allowed me to escape some weird drivers.

I had one moment where I looked down doing 95, had my internal radar go off, slowed to 77 and sure enough not 5 seconds later 2 Virginia troopers!

AWD is great.

A solid 90% of the posters are pretty salty about not springing for the P when they bought their AWD.

I've read the thread you are referencing on reddit. I didn't get the opinion that "90% are salty". In fact, most straight up said they are very happy with their AWD, but that if the option to pay $2k difference was available at the time (as it is today) for the exact same car, but with the fully unlocked acceleration, they would have done so.

That seems extremely reasonable and is also how I feel. To me it was not worth the $11k difference for a P+ at the time I bought my car, but if the $2k P- was available I would have done it. I'm not salty and it's certainly not a regret. My AWD is even better than I imagined and I got exactly what I paid for.

And to anyone who recently bought an off-menu P- I say: You got an excellent deal! Way to maximize the current buying opportunity and congrats on your car!

Before price difference was around $11K to go from AWD to performance with wheels and brakes. So I got AWD. Now price difference is smaller to get faster car. $2k with smaller wheels and brakes. I am happy now. Might be happier if I have waiter a year to get m3p- ? Maybe since now cars a cheaper, not considering any rebates and credits.

This! The price difference when most of us having regrets now was over $10k. Now you can get one minus the PUP for roughly a $2k premium over LR AWD. That's why everyone is asking for the software only purchase option to upgrade to Performance and saying they regret it, but in actuality it's not really regret. I'm happy with mine, but if available for only $2k it's a no-brainer. Guys put on exhaust systems for more than that and barely any gains.

4.4 sec 0-60 is nothing to sneeze at.

I think mine is supposed to be 5.1 seconds? That's plenty.

Unintended consequences: I didn't want the upgraded interior. I would not have paid for it. I got it because it was in the first-production Model 3. Take PUP or wait another half year or more. I love it. I'd have gotten P3D without PUP if it had been available. Turns out, I'm perfectly happy with RWD and 5.1 seconds 0-60, and I'm glad I have the PUP.

4 seconds to 60 in the Roadster was loads of fun. But it was just that: fun. Not needed. And even at 5.1 (or is it 5.5 now?) I still have one of the quickest cars on the road.

• Love
Similarly, there a whopping .9 second difference between the AWD and the RWD, but here the difference is $9,000 (I know, I know, there are some perks with the AWD over the RWD, like 70 more miles, but not $9k worth)

If you live in a harsh climate area (like me,here in the Northeast) - AWD has value.

Couldn’t give a fig less about the 0.9sec, but any additional handling in the winter is most welcome.

Back to original topic; the P is meaningless to me. 0-60 in 4sec is a parlor trick as it is; anything more is silly.

My car’s a daily driver, doesn’t go to a track. Don’t care.

FYI, there is no difference on insurance with Performance (at least the stealth). I believe the VIN pattern is the same as the AWD so there's no differentiation from the carrier.

My P3D- costs nearly the same to insure as our Chevy Volt (in CA, Farmers).

That's interesting. I must admit I didn't get a comparative quote as I knew what I was getting, but I just assumed a crazier car would carry a higher premium...

Reactions: john85775
That's interesting. I must admit I didn't get a comparative quote as I knew what I was getting, but I just assumed a crazier car would carry a higher premium...

Liberty added my P3- for $72 a month extra. We have 4 cars total, two drivers, and one is an SR+. I don’t think they can tell the difference. I even brought up that it was a Performance because I didn’t want an issue. I also sent them an email of the fact and they responded I’m good.

I have an AWD. Put my foot down for fun, and what felt like 2 secs later I was breaking the speed limit, before I'd had the chance to enjoy the experience. So I'm quite comfortable with my decision, the lower price, the cheaper insurance and the extra range. It's plenty fast enough for me. Each to their own though.
yup, same here. not missing a thing and not worth the extra money to me.

The P is cool, but it comes at an additional cost if you can't control yourself: Tires.
As in you will be buying new rear tires at 8K miles if you floor it on the freeway onramp and random side streets every day.
Mine isn't a P, but even so I changed it to chill mode. I only change it back to standard if I need a little extra something for a drive. I just wished I could make that change using voice controls (call it "bad day" mode or something).

The P is cool, but it comes at an additional cost if you can't control yourself: Tires.
As in you will be buying new rear tires at 8K miles if you floor it on the freeway onramp and random side streets every day.
Mine isn't a P, but even so I changed it to chill mode. I only change it back to standard if I need a little extra something for a drive. I just wished I could make that change using voice controls (call it "bad day" mode or something).

Personally I’d never use Chill mode. There have been a few instances where I *need* to get out of the way. Not having power when I need it is a liability.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I'm not arguing cause I understand the difference between want vs. need.
Just trying to use logic that says if you are going to bring up potholes & cold weather then having 18" All Seasons or Snow tires isn't going get you 3.2 secs.

3.2 secs is under the best of all race (incl. weather, tires, suspension, driver etc.) conditions.

So at the end of the day, it's Camaro bragging rights aka just numbers.
3.2 just requires some dry roads. Stock tires, average driver etc. aren't issues. Even all seasons probably don't change 0-60 in any noticeable way.

Reactions: SleeperService