Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Else Doesn't Care about the Performance Model? vs. AWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason the Miata remains a best-selling roadster after 3 decades of production is because people can enjoy the sensation of driving hard, without actually going fast. One of the common critiques of cars like the Nissan GT-R is that they go too fast, too easily, without the associated thrills of getting it up to speed and on-edge.

My previous car had my ideal speed -- 250hp/3100lbs which is equivalent ratio to the Model 3 RWD. I could go keep my foot on the go pedal for a few seconds without going to jail.

My current car is a bit too much -- 330hp/3300lbs which is equivalent to the Model 3 AWD. I did a full launch for the first time ever last week (~4.4s), because it's my final month with the car. Aside from the occasional romp merging on the freeway (when the wife isn't riding along!!!), I have no opportunity to go WOT wit it. Nor the desire, on public streets.

In parts of the US and Germany, I can see the P capabilities being exploited. For most of us doing the europe commute, it's simply inaccessible speeds.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Plenty of power left while underway in my experience, but I can see how you might like standard accelleration from a dead stop in emergency situations.

Admittedly I could leave it on standard and behave myself, which is really what I should be doing. Seeing those rear tires at 4/32 with 8000 miles just freaked me out a bit, especially since there was no tires squealing involved.

Personally I’d never use Chill mode. There have been a few instances where I *need* to get out of the way. Not having power when I need it is a liability.

The reason the Miata remains a best-selling roadster after 3 decades of production is because people can enjoy the sensation of driving hard, without actually going fast. One of the common critiques of cars like the Nissan GT-R is that they go too fast, too easily, without the associated thrills of getting it up to speed and on-edge.

An old saying among car guys- it's more fun the drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

3.2 just requires some dry roads. Stock tires, average driver etc. aren't issues. Even all seasons probably don't change 0-60 in any noticeable way.

Correct- no model 3, even the P, is traction limited...better tires don't change the 0-60 at all.... (lighter wheels will though- which is yet another reason P3D- > P3D+)

4.4 sec 0-60 is nothing to sneeze at.

Especially when it's actually 4.0 if you measure it the same way they measure the P :)

Here’s my take, which is sure to stir up some people (but to each their own) - given the choice between the LR AWD and the performance model AT THE SAME PRICE, I’d pick the AWD. Comfort and the ongoing cost of tires is more important to me than being a second faster. Add in the price difference and it isn’t even a choice at that point.

When I bought my Model 3 I wanted the Performance version but couldn't justify the extra $11k. All I wanted was the faster 0-60 time, while the bigger brakes are nice they aren't needed for the street, the other things that come with the Performance I'm just not interested in, especially the low profile tires. When Tesla gives the Performance an 18" wheel option, I might bite.

Meh, I have P3D minues, I didn't want the 18's or the 20's so I bought light weight 19s. I do wish I had the red brakes though. I mean I don't really need them...

I guess the white interior and FSD purchased doesn't show, so I'm just another dude who couldn't afford the 5k more for red brakes.

Meh, I have P3D minues, I didn't want the 18's or the 20's so I bought light weight 19s. I do wish I had the red brakes though. I mean I don't really need them...

I guess the white interior and FSD purchased doesn't show, so I'm just another dude who couldn't afford the 5k more for red brakes.

There are places who will paint them red for $500-$600 dollars. Not sure if you are in AZ based on your user name.

I am pretty sure that if we take a survey we could see strong relation of age of the driver and his car (performance vs non performance) choice. The younger drivers mostly would go for P, experienced ones for non P. Also, people do not like to agree that they made a mistake, so most people will defense their choice.

I am not exclusion, so I will defense my choice to buy AWD non P model.
1. I do not care about extra second from 0 to 60, as whatever I have now is crazy fast already.
2. Performance model has no choice for 18" wheels, and I think 18" wheels are more practical.
3. I do not do racing.
4. I believe that famous "clicking" problem related to huge torque, which leads to premature mechanical wearing. I try do not "test" my car too often for the same reason, despite it is very tempting.

I have an AWD. Put my foot down for fun, and what felt like 2 secs later I was breaking the speed limit, before I'd had the chance to enjoy the experience. So I'm quite comfortable with my decision, the lower price, the cheaper insurance and the extra range. It's plenty fast enough for me. Each to their own though.
My insurance doesn't differentiate AWD from the performance so it's the same insurance price.

I've never seen it as a choice on the menu and I don't believe it's an off menu item. I asked someone at a Tesla service center and they didn't know anything about it.

It was an off menu item because it was a limited production run of a small number of units and that is a fact whether you want to believe it or not. Also I would take what Tesla service people say with a grain of salt. They are not always attuned to information as this community is.

With that said, yes the AWD is hella quick. I have no regrets. The P3D is definitely quicker off the line and I'd take it any day of the week if I could rewind the clock and wait for the price drops. If they allowed a paid upgrade for AWD to give even 3.7 seconds to 60, I'd take it.

On topic - At the end of the day everyone's interests and thrill factor is different. It's a completely subjective thing, which makes this whole thread kind of pointless.