Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who else is disappointed about the base model 3 batterie. 50 kWh/ 220miles

please only vote if you are or were considering the base model m3!!!

• Disappointed about the base model range -getting the bigger batterie version M3 because of it

Votes: 18 12.5%
  • Not disappointed about the range at all. It's all I need. Done deal and happy days

Votes: 87 60.4%
  • Disappointed about the range but I don't want to pay $9000 more for the bigger batterie.

Votes: 38 26.4%
  • Cancel order

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although it now appears the "75kWh" battery in the Model 3 is actually larger (has more usable capacity) than the "85kWh" battery they sold back then.

True but even at 30 kWh upgrade it's still much higher than GMs prices per kWh unfortunately.

Look at the range upgrade prices of the Model 3 or X.
You can't compare current prices because stuff is bundled in like SAS, higher amp charger, etc. The price was listed in 2013 very clearly with no bundled items. (I take that back, it included free supercharging)

60-kwh-price.jpg

Upgrade on a bolt is non-existant but also irrelevant when comparing price per kWh to consumers.

I'm not considering to buy a Mod.3 for my kids, i owed 3 Mod.S p and maintenance, in Italy, is becoming a problem. It is useles to have a nice car sitting in the garage or having trouble with AP or cruise control wthout a solution.
I loved my cars but....

I'm not considering to buy a Mod.3 for my kids, i owed 3 Mod.S p and maintenance, in Italy, is becoming a problem. It is useles to have a nice car sitting in the garage or having trouble with AP or cruise control wthout a solution.
I loved my cars but....

What problems have you had apart from AP? Because no company offers a great AP solution at this point in time. You mention maintenance?

Upgrade on a bolt is non-existant but also irrelevant when comparing price per kWh to consumers.
Not true.

Replacement is subsidized by marketing priorities (aka avoid bad PR.)
Upgrade requires additional R&D, suspension hardware to support the extra weight.

Don't look at the kWh label, look at the $/range increase
$10k bought 57 miles in the chart you show
In a Model 3 $9k buys 90 miles.

But let's look at today:
Model 3: $9k USD for 90 miles extra

Model S:
75D: 259 miles range, $74,500 USD
100D: 335 miles range, $97,500 USD
76 miles extra for 23k USD

The $/mile upgrade of the Model S is 3x that of the Model 3.

Last edited:
Upgrade requires additional R&D, suspension hardware to support the extra weight.
This is designed into the base car

In a Model 3 $9k buys 90 miles.
On a Bolt $12305.44 buys 238 miles. ;)

The $/mile upgrade of the Model S is 3x that of the Model 3.
And the Model S now is even more than it was $/mi thus proving Tesla's current consumer prices are high even though costs are supposedly lower.

Last edited:
Maybe, but it still has to be recouped somewhere. The upgrade price looks like a good place to me, otherwise a less expensive suspension would have been called for.
I'm not buying that as a justification for the price hike. (especially since this wasn't actually done for the P100D leading to a lower roof strength to weight ratio in IIHS testing)

I think the price of the upgrade right now is either a marketing decision based on value or, since Elon mentioned they are concerned about a battery shortage, to steer people toward the base model.

As long as you don't include Teslas in that 'always'. e.g. Model S P100D 92 city 105 highway ...

Whoopsidaisy -- I'm not always right. Did you know that? Well everybody does now, haha! :p Duly noted, and I won't be spreading that particular piece of misinformation around any longer.

Anyways, can somebody explain to me why we're comparing Model 3 to a Bolt again? They're two very different cars. Aside from getting you from Point A to Point B and costing somewhere near the same ballpark when counting certain incentives (available only in the USA) for a certain car, cough cough,
  • Sedan vs hatchback
  • Very aerodynamic vs not so aerodynamic
  • 50 kWh vs 60 kWh (you need more capacity to overcome non-ideal aero design)
  • Supercharge vs DCFC (208 km/h vs 144 km/h, and where are you going to find a non SpC DCFC anyways?)
  • And one of them is less expensive than the other, remind me which that was again ... ?
  • Model 3 can be upgraded OTA to be self-driving when your pocketbook recovers from the initial purchase.
Sadly, the Model 3 goes 345 km vs the Bolt's 380 km (Model 3 goes 10% less distance on a charge). Total dealbreaker. /s

That last item is the only thing that is remotely similar about the cars, and it's not worth complaining about honestly.

And (@AUSinator) there are a dozen Superchargers up the coast of Australia.

Also have to keep in mind that prices are set by what the market will sustain, and not necessarily by production costs. Cost may go down, but if the current market can handle current prices there is less incentive to pass those savings on. Likely the reason smart phones continue to go up in cost despite getting cheaper to manufacture.