TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Who else is loving the 105 degree interior temp limit??

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Muzzman1, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

I live in SoCal where it's still summer, and since 8.0 when I get into my car that has been left in the sun, it is no longer so hot inside it's hard to breathe the air!! (I've seen 135!)
    I realize I could activate the a/c with the app, and I often do, but I my schedule isn't fixed, and at times I fail to turn it on in time.
    Moral here: Other than helping save lives the new temp threshold feature is awesome!

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  2. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I generally turn the climate on when I get up from my desk on hot (or cold?) days, but I was thinking that the passive cooling should reduce the wear and tear on the interior and electronics, too.

3. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

Have you seen your range drop? If so by how much ?

4. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

The range hit should be negligible. I'm looking forward to this feature too!

5. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

The car was sitting in direct sunlight for 5 hours today. Parked the car at 69%, it was still 69% when I got it.
    I have all kinds of logging on the car, but unfortunately none of the logs track interior temp except when the car is on, so I cannot say how long the HVAC was active for.
    Elon suggested in a tweet that it could maintain that temp for a yr.

• Informative x 1
  6. DJung

DJung Member

It's great! If I forget to turn on the AC beforehand, I don't have to return to a 139 degree car. But a lot of people have been telling me that I left my car running.

7. anxman

anxman Member

I'm really curious to see what the actual impact on range is.

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Read muzzman above. There is no noticeable impact on range.

9. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

If it is less than 105 outside all it has to do is run the fan, which takes a negligable amount of energy.

• Like x 1
  10. jcaspar

jcaspar Member

I had mine come on Wednesday and impact seemed around 7% loss of battery (this is with a 85 battery)with car parked for a typical work day. This included any vampire loss. Not terrible.

11. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

So 7% per day on a 85kWh is 6 kWh per day.

But Elon says this will last a year.

Conclusion: Tesla is about to ship a 2190 kWh battery.

COOOL!!!

• Funny x 1
  12. Saghost

Saghost Well-Known Member

I think the pack has to be bigger than that - Elon also said it shuts off when the battery reaches 20%...

13. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

From above: This included any vampire loss. --- so it is not actually 7%. You would need to know what their typical day is.