Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who gave up buying P85D because of the smaller frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious. I am struggling between a P85D and a S85 (Too bad that P85 is no longer available). To me what's appealing for P85D is of course its acceleration (plus the red brake calipers and the next gen seat option), but it has a smaller frunk and also it's decreased range (I am still waiting to see how's the new update would improve the range) that is also important for me too. Tough decision.

I had originally ordered the S85. Before the 10 day change time ran out, I switched to a P85+. I am so glad I did. Yes, the performance, and yes the great looks, red calipers, carbon fiber spoiler, etc. Not sure if a smaller frunk would be an issue for me. I rarely even open it. So much room in the trunk. It depends on your lifestyle, kids, etc. The range question on the P85D will be resolved with motor balancing software updates. I wouldn't worry about that at all. Get the best and know there won't be regrets!

I chose the P85D and have been very happy with my decision. The smaller frunk made no impact on my decision, as the model S already has lots of storage available inside. I also figured that most people don't use the frunk very often because you have to be careful when closing it to not crease the hood. I've been avoiding using it for that reason.

I go to the store, put what I've purchased in the back, close the hatch and drive away. The frunk just seems like it's for longer-term storage, like if you want to always carry a blanket for an emergency picnic, and some flares. In this case, the size is not that important.

I was not too concerned about range since 99% of my normal driving is all within 100miles. It would be nice to see them improve the range back to the P85 level, and I expect Tesla to accomplish this since it is something they originally promised, and there is currently no "Eco" or "Normal" mode in the P85D.

I will tell you that you will never get tired of the acceleration and performance. I picked up my car from the factory a week ago, and I've been having lots of fun showing people how to flatten their eyeballs against the backs of their skulls.

I received the car with the regular seats, and will have them swapped out for the next gen seats in a few months. I sat in the next gen seats at the showroom and they are much nicer -- worth the wait!

I was initially tempted to sell my S85 and get the P85D. It doesn't make much sense as my S85 is less than a year old so I would lose a lot of money if I sold it. When I saw the very limited front trunk space it was the last straw that made me decide to not go with the D for now. I actually use my frunk a lot for work. I'm not saying it's a total deal breaker, but since I value the frunk a lot, it makes the D less interesting to me personally. I know for other people it's not a big deal.

It makes me think about the Model X. With the third row seats there isn't as much cargo space and since the X is dual motor, the frunk is limited as well. I'm planing on getting the Model X for sure so I really hope they consider making one with a rear drive only so there is a larger frunk.

I use the frunk a great deal having a 1.5yo in the household. In my frunk lives a full size three wheel baby stroller (quinny buzz) which keeps it from rolling around and taking up the rear trunk. Not shown in the picture is the toddler seat which can attach to the stroller and the entire assembly still fits in my frunk. I will point out that the latest loaner P85 i received lost about 1" of frunk space, and the stroller no longer fits. During my time with the loaner, I found having it occupy the normal trunk to be a big annoyance. I also can attest that using the frunk multiple times per day has not resulted in any denting (35,000 miles and 18 months later). Just close it with the palm of your hand near the front lip (never slam).
stroller.jpg

I recommend you look at low mileage used P85 cars, there are many on the market at tens of thousands below their new price. I think they are the best Tesla bargain today. Those built after fall 2013 with the Tech package option have power folding mirrors and parking sensors.

Just curious. I am struggling between a P85D and a S85 (Too bad that P85 is no longer available). To me what's appealing for P85D is of course its acceleration (plus the red brake calipers and the next gen seat option), but it has a smaller frunk and also it's decreased range (I am still waiting to see how's the new update would improve the range) that is also important for me too. Tough decision.

I'm in the same boat as Sean. I use the frunk every day. I have 3 small kids. No way to do weekly Costco trips or 1500 mile road trips (see my recent post) without a huge frunk.

I will wait for the X then upgrade to a D. The loss of the frunk really is a deal breaker for me.

I thought about it. We are a family of 3 and don't really "need" the space. The closing issue would mean that it was just for long trips. Right now we get by but struggle with a smaller car for the long trips. In the end, I'd use it once a year when we restock our rental house. So a definite downside but not a deal breaker.

Haven't finalized yet but going for the P85D

I haven't been in the market for P85D, but the smaller frunk certainly is one small reason I find Model X compelling. I initially thought the frunk on (P)85D would just loose "the microwave", but it seems to go well beyond that. The frunk on my P85 is very nice, and one of the wow factors that convinced me of the Tesla drivetrain concept, and I hope Model X will retain more of that feel my current P85 gives me, being deeper at least. I know Model X won't be quite the same as P85, but perhaps still nicer than P85D. Perhaps you could consider the Model X, although I understand from past discussions there are real concerns it might arrive very late (even later than to other current markets...) to the Hong Kong market and thus not really be an option for all.

That said, even without any frunk Model S trunk is very impressive to me, with all that space underneath. Of course I understand some of that comes at the expense of not carrying a spare. I wouldn't not buy a P85D due to the frunk if I was in the market for a P85D, though, it is still better than the frunk on a BMW i3... ;)

I am planning to have two kids soon (one is coming on July) so I think maybe a big frunk would do some benefits to me. But I do want the next gen seat because the existing rear seat is not that comfortable. Tough decision.

With two kids the rear seat is just going to be a shelf to put the child seats on, the comfort of it won't matter.

I love all the space in the frunk, we use it all the time. I don't know that it would be a deal breaker, the D frunk is still a usuable space, but you can't fit a weeks worth of grocerys anymore in it.

If you plan on getting the rear-facing seats, the frunk will be your only storage space if anybody is sitting back there.

That, and 1G acceleration in the rear-facing seats might not be fun for the kiddos and you'd probably have to clean puke off the rear window.

I'm so glad I have a P85 and bought it when I did. We use the frunk all the time. We first were apprehensive about closing it but after awhile that faded and we now use it all the time. I store all of our charging adapters, first aid kit, sports equipment and blanket in the microwave safely secured in a plastic box behind the Tesla Cargo Net. For the rest of the frunk we always end up putting items in there that are errand-specific; the kind of items that you're out and about and you thunk your forehead and say "Why didn't we bring the vegetable boxes to return since we're already all the way out here?" Boom, pop the frunk and complete the errand. There's always a bunch of stuff in there. We also load all of our groceries in the frunk. It allows us to park on the side of the grocery store away from everybody and right up against the walkway. We pop the frunk and load everything in the front. When we return home we pull into our garage and the frunk is about two feet from our garage door leading to our house. Easy as pie.

The accelaration of the D would be nice but I get enough thrills from the occasional stoplight run with my P85. With the reduced frunk size, complexity and possible additional failure points of two motors, additional $30K cost over my P85 (when I purchased it) and reduced range issues that are currently not resolved, I couldn't be more pleased to have what I have.

Coming from a P85 to a P85D, I don't miss the extra frunk space. The trunk space is huge, with or without the seats folded. As for range, I haven't yet noticed a discernible difference, though there will be an improvement in efficiency when the sleep mode is activated on the front motor.