Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who Gets Car Number 1?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know someone who lives down the road from Jay Leno and I asked him to ask Jay if hes interested in the Tesla. I have know idea if Jay was at the intro or if Swartzegnedder will get one. I do know who has the number one car and its the guy who runs or owns the Peterson Auto Museum. He has number 1 and 100 I believe.

Incidentally, I've gathered from various scattered comments that 10 prototype cars have already been manufactured. Two are in California for show-and-tell promotional duties. The rest were kept in England: two for durability testing and six for crash testing. (One of those has already been crashed, it did fine.)

This gives just a hint of how hard it is to start up a car-making business. It also gives a hint of how helpful it is to work with an established, low-volume maker like Lotus Engineering.

At the debut I asked that question to a couple of Tesla guys. They hemmed and hawed for a few seconds and said they did not know and that would have to be worked out. They have a list of who has paid and when. The conversion ended up with even further unanswered questions. Who gets #10, # 50, #100?

I would imagine number 1 would either go to a museum of to Martin or Elon until they mothball it.

I keep searching for when these cars will be on the market--any dates set in stone? I see that you can order the next round, but I'm dying to see these things hit the market :eek:

Here's the answer:

This was from the end (of page 3) of an interview article on Yahoo:
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center-article_141/;_ylt=ApATeP8.yvsf4LP1y2kUOOFtJNIF?p=1
----------------------------
JON: Finally, which serial number did you get?

MR. EBERHARD: Oh, number two is mine.

JON: And who got number one?

MR. EBERHARD: Elon Musk, the guy who is the principal investor in the company. We actually had a bit of an arm wrestling match over who got the first one and he finally conceded that I could have it and then I gave it to him.

[Laughter]
----------------------------