TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who Gets Car Number 1?

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Vern Padgett, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Vern Padgett

Vern Padgett Member

Anybody know who will get Tesla Roadster Number 1? Number 2?

Did Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger sign up for one? Has Jay Leno said anything about the Tesla?

Inquiring minds want ... you know the rest.

Vern

2. danny

danny Administrator

i, chuck norris, will
    but seriously i have no idea
    we should contact tesla about that

3. danny

danny Administrator

I know someone who lives down the road from Jay Leno and I asked him to ask Jay if hes interested in the Tesla. I have know idea if Jay was at the intro or if Swartzegnedder will get one. I do know who has the number one car and its the guy who runs or owns the Peterson Auto Museum. He has number 1 and 100 I believe.

4. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Mainecoon Butler

Will he put it into the museum?

"The car that changed everything" ;D

5. Vern Padgett

Vern Padgett Member

Maybe he will put one next to his GM EV-1.  That was a nice scene of it, car 99, in "Who Killed the Electric Car?"
    Vern

6. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

Incidentally, I've gathered from various scattered comments that 10 prototype cars have already been manufactured. Two are in California for show-and-tell promotional duties. The rest were kept in England: two for durability testing and six for crash testing. (One of those has already been crashed, it did fine.)

This gives just a hint of how hard it is to start up a car-making business. It also gives a hint of how helpful it is to work with an established, low-volume maker like Lotus Engineering.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I talked to a guy at http://www.evtworld.com/atv.asp who said a Tesla was spotted at a show in Chicago recently. BTW these guys are coming out with an Elecrtic ATV. Also fun but affordable sooner.

e

8. jadresak

jadresak Member

I dont know who got car number one. But if I could pick who should recieve car number one, I would pick Dick Cheney. Now that would be irony.

9. danny

danny Administrator

that it would be, and then go home to a solar powered house

10. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

At the debut I asked that question to a couple of Tesla guys. They hemmed and hawed for a few seconds and said they did not know and that would have to be worked out. They have a list of who has paid and when. The conversion ended up with even further unanswered questions. Who gets #10, # 50, #100?

I would imagine number 1 would either go to a museum of to Martin or Elon until they mothball it.

11. DDB

DDB Member

I keep searching for when these cars will be on the market--any dates set in stone? I see that you can order the next round, but I'm dying to see these things hit the market :eek:

12. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Mainecoon Butler

Current timeframe is "fall 2007"

13. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Here's the answer:

This was from the end (of page 3) of an interview article on Yahoo:
    http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center-article_141/;_ylt=ApATeP8.yvsf4LP1y2kUOOFtJNIF?p=1
    ----------------------------
    JON: Finally, which serial number did you get?

MR. EBERHARD: Oh, number two is mine.

JON: And who got number one?

MR. EBERHARD: Elon Musk, the guy who is the principal investor in the company. We actually had a bit of an arm wrestling match over who got the first one and he finally conceded that I could have it and then I gave it to him.

[Laughter]
    ----------------------------