TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who Gets the S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Trixie, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Trixie

Trixie Member

While talking to a Model S couple the other night, it was very funny to hear how they decided who would get to drive the S. They decided that whomever would be driving the FARTHEST would get to drive the car. My friend said, "I told my husband I needed the car and he asked where I was going? He never asks me where I'm going. Why is he asking me so many questions, when it occurred to me, it wasn't about me, it was about the car."

Tesla changes the paradigm again!

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Ha!

Range anxiety reinvented!

3. sfriedrich

sfriedrich Member

My dear and wonderful wife said when I told her that we had an X reservation in addition to the S... "but I love my (Acura) MDX!". The Model S arrived last Tuesday... she hasn't mentioned the MDX since... nor driven it. Yeah, the S is all that!

steve

4. Lyon

Lyon 2016 S P100DL, 2016 X P90D

This is why I made a Model X reservation as soon as I was able to. Even though I made the S reservation I've started to hear some rumblings about how there will be days when she needs to drive it if she's got a lot of errands, the kids have lots of things to do that day, etc and it would make a lot of sense for her to drive the Model S. She's right, of course, but I'm not going to be happy about it.

5. Francis Lau

Francis Lau P-1456

My wife and I take turns buying new cars. She bought her Audi A4 couple of years ago and I am getting my Model S in the next 2 months. She loves her Audi and i dont get to drive it. :) However, I am really nervous about her next car as she has been eyeing the Audi R8. Maybe after she drives the Model S, she decides to get one or the Model X. She is not getting mine, not after I have waited for 3 years :)

6. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

I gave my wife her BMW 535i xDrive for her 50th birthday, so it would be very wrong if I were to start driving it regularly. (That's my line, and I'm sticking to it! :biggrin: )

7. TMS doc

TMS doc Member

That's how my wife and I decide who gets the Model S--whoever is driving the farthest. That's because it's the most fun, nicest to drive, least expensive to operate, and greenest (probably in that order). It really has turned range anxiety on it's head when that becomes the criteria for who gets to drive the EV.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Fortunately, my wife clings to a little bit of technology anxiety, and lacks a bit of confidence around new technology. Do I promote that anxiety...I hope not, but in this case I'm not working particularly hard to mitigate it!

She's a good woman, mine. She really understands when stuff like this is important to me, and I am due for a new vehicle (Prius 9+ years old with ~134k miles), so this is kind of a "no brainer" for who's car this is. But I am a bit nervous that she's going to fall in love with it.

On my side of things, she doesn't really like low riding and wide/long cars because of parking, so I think she'll not want to drive it places where she'll have to park in tight spots.

9. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Hopefully there will be the luxury version of the GenIII, in addition to the basic model. Small car, detailed beautifully, all electric.

10. napabill

napabill Active Member

Not sure how this is going to work with us. She, for example, refuses to trust a thermostat. Likes to physically turn things on and off. The absence of buttons and physical switches is going to freak her out, I suspect.

11. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

If they can produce a not fully optioned but premium Gen 3 for under $50k that fits in 'Compact' spots easily, their 'non-demand' problem will explode. :)

12. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

I can see it now; hundreds, perhaps thousands of couples at a stalemate in divorce proceedings because neither will give up the right to the Model S. :tongue:

13. jat

jat Member

I'll be driving it, but I will swap cars with my wife (who will be taking my LEAF) when she needs to drive further than the LEAF will allow.

14. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Heh, mine isn't sure about my plan to get one of those Nest thermostats but is perfectly happy to drive the Model S. :smile:

15. dailydriver

dailydriver Member

It will be my daily driver for now, although my wife can use it whenever she would like. I have other vehicles (less practical) that I may get back to once the novelty has worn off (although I'm not sure that will happen).:wink:

16. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

My wife understands that the Model S is mine, and she looks forward to getting her Model X the following year. She is a little nervous round new tech (she is still leery of the Nest thermostats in our house) but with a year of demonstrations and seeing how the charging process works out, she should be ready when the X arrives (#1891).

17. PopSmith

PopSmith Saving for a Model 3

Hopefully you can convince her to wait for Roadster 3.0 instead. :wink:

18. Liz G

Liz G P03056

He got the last 2 cars. This one is mine!

19. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Actually I think the Model X is a more likely choice for her, she likes the extra height and interior space...without the Minivan look.

20. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

Ehum, we're still talking about Tesla here, right? I'll bet my last dollar that there will be a Limited Premium Signature Sports Performance Edition available at day one, in limited Signature Lavender for the first 1000... oh wait, Canada... 1200 only. :)