Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has a 2020 or a 2021 Raven Performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2022 Model Y performance. Im looking for something thats overall nicer and more luxurious. I drove a 2018 P100D and driving a 2020 Raven performance today to see the difference that makes.

My question is are you happy with your Raven model X? Any regrets or major issues you have encountered? Anything I should be aware of? Worth the upgrade of about $15-$20k (used vehicle) but two years older? Checking with my CPA but I believe I can write it off of taxes due to weight so that might offset the additional cost.

The Section 179 tax credits made my first 2 Model X's pretty much free vehicles. Accountant wanted me to trade up to a new one every couple years or so. It is a far different car than the Y. It also qualifies for 100% accelerated depreciation if you own and use it for a profitable business.
Larger size and adaptive air suspension makes it a much better road car. Model Y rode a little to firm for me, but it was much more nimble around town than the X.
Raven X was a huge upgrade, as is the latest 2022 refresh. They are remarkable and capable cars with a gravitas missing from the 3/Y.

One is not essentially "better" than the other, as they provides solutions to different desires.

The feeling you get, going down the road, is significantly different in the X vs the Y.

Reactions: bpobill
The Section 179 tax credits made my first 2 Model X's pretty much free vehicles. Accountant wanted me to trade up to a new one every couple years or so. It is a far different car than the Y. It also qualifies for 100% accelerated depreciation if you own and use it for a profitable business.
Larger size and adaptive air suspension makes it a much better road car. Model Y rode a little to firm for me, but it was much more nimble around town than the X.
Raven X was a huge upgrade, as is the latest 2022 refresh. They are remarkable and capable cars with a gravitas missing from the 3/Y.

One is not essentially "better" than the other, as they provides solutions to different desires.

The feeling you get, going down the road, is significantly different in the X vs the Y.
I appreciate your reply. I drove a 2020 Raven performance today with about 33k miles and they want $85,000 for it. Im waiting to hear back from my CPA to verify this will work for me. I would like to get this $80k or below if possible. Prices have come down a lot and I think it will continue.

2019 Raven Performance Ludicrous, bought used last month to take advantage of the accelerated depreciation before it goes away (or drops to 80% next year). Just finished a 400-mile Thanksgiving weekend trip on I95 in the Northeast and in comfort mode for suspension and normal steering it was like any other luxury SUV - just a lot quieter. Seats are super-supportive but also soft, it's often tough to find both in a German luxury car as you have to pick one or the other. Overall, the interior quality is worlds better than a 3 or Y - as it should be at nearly double the cost new. Is the interior twice as nice? That's debatable, but it's definitely much more polished - wood (or carbon fiber) trim, some physical controls, seemingly better noise insulation, adaptive air suspension that does what it should, more power and incredible storage space in the frunk and trunk - just not so much in the second row. Second row headroom, legroom and shoulder room all feel bigger and I found the angle of the back support and seat base to be a little too vertical in the 3/Y - it's adjustable in my 5 seat X via an old-fashioned lever making it easier to find a nice seating position.

They are really two completely different vehicles, it's like comparing a 3 Series or C Class to a 7 series or S class. Sure, they are made by the same company and share some similarities but they are differently priced/classed vehicles. Choose whatever works best for you, I'm happy with my Raven performance.

X is great, really can't complain about anything beyond Tesla itself as a company. My car was shoddily painted at the factory and had to be repainted here, but now the paint thickness in the left wing door is such that the sensors see ghosts randomly and Tesla does nothing..

2019 Raven Performance Ludicrous, bought used last month to take advantage of the accelerated depreciation before it goes away (or drops to 80% next year). Just finished a 400-mile Thanksgiving weekend trip on I95 in the Northeast and in comfort mode for suspension and normal steering it was like any other luxury SUV - just a lot quieter. Seats are super-supportive but also soft, it's often tough to find both in a German luxury car as you have to pick one or the other. Overall, the interior quality is worlds better than a 3 or Y - as it should be at nearly double the cost new. Is the interior twice as nice? That's debatable, but it's definitely much more polished - wood (or carbon fiber) trim, some physical controls, seemingly better noise insulation, adaptive air suspension that does what it should, more power and incredible storage space in the frunk and trunk - just not so much in the second row. Second row headroom, legroom and shoulder room all feel bigger and I found the angle of the back support and seat base to be a little too vertical in the 3/Y - it's adjustable in my 5 seat X via an old-fashioned lever making it easier to find a nice seating position.

They are really two completely different vehicles, it's like comparing a 3 Series or C Class to a 7 series or S class. Sure, they are made by the same company and share some similarities but they are differently priced/classed vehicles. Choose whatever works best for you, I'm happy with my Raven performance.
if you dont mind me asking, how many miles and what did you get it for? Prices are dropping very fast, but curious if this level of depreciation will continue or go back to normal soon. You can dm me if you're okay sharing it with me.

12/20 build ‘21 MXPL w/vertical screen and round wheel, I love the car. It’s my only Tesla but I’ve driven ‘18 & ‘19 performance loaners, and a relatives ’20. The ’20 seemed identical to mine, only difference I could tell was no wireless phone charger. I felt the 18 & 19 were a lesser experience, I didn’t make notes but ride and regen not being as nice were my impression.

if you dont mind me asking, how many miles and what did you get it for? Prices are dropping very fast, but curious if this level of depreciation will continue or go back to normal soon. You can dm me if you're okay sharing it with me.
Doesn't look like I can DM yet but I purchased it from Tesla's site to get the extended warranty so I've got just under 2 years of factory warranty coverage (in-service date of late Sept 2019) which was a consideration for me given the falcon wing doors and front half-shaft concerns with the X. Prices are sliding, yes, but from having watched for a few weeks before purchasing I will say that depending on how exacting your specifications are you may not find many available from Tesla directly. I'd posit supplies for used Ravens, at least performance models, are tighter than they were 2-4 weeks ago.

For example, I wanted a Raven performance X with clean history, under 36k miles (mine has 33k), in black or silver, with 5 or 7 seats, with black or cream interior (no white) and 22's. Didn't care about FSD as almost all features that one can use are in enhanced autopilot now, which my car has along with the Ludicrous upgrade, because why not? Based on those search criteria, and a preference to not pay shipping if at all possible, there were all of two cars available. I watched for a bit, one sold in the high 80s, and then when I saw the other take a steep drop one night (repricing can happen daily) I mashed the purchase button instead of rolling the dice for a few more days.

Even today, there are zero cars that match my desired spec and the few available in CA in white, which I don't like, are priced $10+K higher and would require $2K for shipping, albeit coming with FSD.