Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has a MY order on hold expecting to take delivery in Q3 and is now considering waiting for a Austin MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like the title suggest, I have a MY order on hold (currently $2500 cheaper than current price) and my lease is up in August, but I’m going to push it out two additional months for two reasons 1) tax credit (fingers crossed), and 2) Austin MY. If by October only #1 comes to fruition I’m still considering tabling my order further and renting a car for a few months until Austin MY’s are delivering. Anyone else in my same situation? What are everyone’s thoughts? Help me work through this situation.

Like the title suggest, I have a MY order on hold (currently $2500 cheaper than current price) and my lease is up in August, but I’m going to push it out two additional months for two reasons 1) tax credit (fingers crossed), and 2) Austin MY. If by October only #1 comes to fruition I’m still considering tabling my order further and renting a car for a few months until Austin MY’s are delivering. Anyone else in my same situation? What are everyone’s thoughts? Help me work through this situation.
I’m sure they will only have the performance or higher trim models out of Austin at first and it won’t even be volume production for a year

I placed my order on hold in May. Just got word that the estimated delivery is October here in Illinois. So I went ahead and released my hold. I am now waiting to be contacted by a sales associate. They want an copy of proof of insurance. Illinois is one of the states that does not need a vin but I'm not sure how I can insure a car without "a car"😁, so I assume that they will need that when the time comes for delivery.

I am not officially on hold. I just never filled up any info after paying the $100 in late April so I've never proceeded to the point where they can add me to the VIN pool. I did get a call from my SA at the beginning of this quarter to ask what was up and I just said I needed to wait a while and asked if I could be on hold. She didn't volunteer putting me on formal hold but said that it's probably fine as is and if they do decide to cancel my order at any point, that I'd get a heads-up first.

I'm definitely waiting to see if anything happens with the tax credit. If that happens, I'm definitely going to move ahead with my order. I don't really see Austin being a huge game changer. Odds that they will ship with 4680 cells are extremely low seeing as they cancelled the Plaid+, and that would have been easy enough to support due to low volumes if they had their 4680 manufacturing proceeding as planned. All the other potential tweaks with an Austin production won't make a big difference to the consumer, and I'm not entirely sure that I'd be eager to be a guinea pig for a brand new line while they sort out their teething pains.

In light of the looming possibility of a tax credit and possibility of Austin MY’s at any point… I’ve made arrangements to turn my current lease in ON TIME (not extend it) and drive a Smart Car until such time as one of the two aforementioned things occur and then I’ll take my order off hold. I’ve got until October until Tesla is suppose to ask me to “put up or shut up” (take my order off hold), so hopefully one of the two happen by then so I don’t lose my order all together (which I likely wouldn’t let occur regardless of the two happening or not) since I’m already $3K ahead price wise.

I'm similarly interested in waiting for Austin production. I'm haven't placed my order on hold yet, but I'm expecting a VIN "soon", at which point I'll probably put it on hold. The next likely information may occur on the TSLA earnings call next Tuesday. Undoubtedly Elon will be asked about the Austin factory status.

I'm similarly interested in waiting for Austin production. I'm haven't placed my order on hold yet, but I'm expecting a VIN "soon", at which point I'll probably put it on hold. The next likely information may occur on the TSLA earnings call next Tuesday. Undoubtedly Elon will be asked about the Austin factory status.
I was never even assigned a VIN; I placed an order in early April and the SA immediately put it on hold… I haven’t even filled in the preliminary information online yet. Hopefully this buys me as much time as possible.

If a tax credit happens Tesla will almost certainly raise the price of the cars to offset it.

You guys should just buy the car you want, there's always going to be something new around the corner.
We got locked in pricing and in my case I do want a Austin MY for all the reasons that I’m sure have been mentioned here and in other places. Austin MY is gonna be 2.0 version essentially. It’s really dumb to not wait a couple months for it.

Reactions: blinkme323
Honest question, why are people waiting for Austin?

I understand that the new battery cells would be useful, but what's the benefit of waiting for a new factory? Does anyone really prefer to get a car built by employees who are just getting into the groove of it? Is there some benefit to an Austin-built car which is not possible from a Fremont-built car?

Who's to say they won't come out with a new model that won't translate to your MY order? Maybe it will be the SR++ or something. They could easily dodge all the people waiting for the MIT MY discounts by doing that. Who's to say there won't be any QC issues when they first rollout. They might sell for less but have less range as well.

I personally would want to see at least a few months of production to see if the aren't any new issues. I thought about playing the waiting game when I put my order but there is no firm time when they will actually roll out. Every day I am enjoying my MY LR. Given the rate of inflation, nothing is stopping Tesla from greatly raising the price. I have seen other manufacturers not honor old pricing and find a way to get out of it.

Given the strong demand for MYs, someone would likely buy it if your price wasn't honored in the future. Personally I think it would suck but Tesla has more customers than vehicles so if they lose a few customers at a much lower price and pick up others at the higher price, they just might do it. I feel they shafted us how they handled the radar, removed the passenger lumbar support and how knows what next.

I took advantage of a great rate for financing, rolled that money into an account with a good rate of return and enjoying my car now. I would love to see a tax credit like all of you. I purposely ordered a Model S that was below the limit for the MSRP just in case it does go through. Glad I did anyway as that car has already increased in price 5k. Who knows what it would shoot up to if the credits come back. I am sure they'll jack the MY price a few more thousand if that happens.

Hopefully we'll all end up happy.