Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has a MY order on hold expecting to take delivery in Q3 and is now considering waiting for a Austin MY?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Austin 4680 Y's will likely be SR+, LR+, P+. So if you currently have an order for SR, LR, P, then your order won't transfer and you lose your price difference. We don't know the cost of these upcoming vehicles, but the price difference for the added range might make them worth the extra cost.

The SR Model Y, when it was available, not being labeled SR+ (like the Model 3 is) was our indication that this is coming for the Y.

I'm on the fence, my order is now over a year old, my price is locked in at $49k and $8k FSD. I may go ahead and take delivery and try to sell it at a profit before snapping up an Austin LR+.

I'm not sure why everybody expecting an immediate range increase, I'd think they will leave the same range just fewer cells.
This is already a good thing since, with redaction of wait from megacusting and lighter battery pack, we should be able to see better efficiency from the car.

Austin 4680 Y's will likely be SR+, LR+, P+. So if you currently have an order for SR, LR, P, then your order won't transfer and you lose your price difference. We don't know the cost of these upcoming vehicles, but the price difference for the added range might make them worth the extra cost.

The SR Model Y, when it was available, not being labeled SR+ (like the Model 3 is) was our indication that this is coming for the Y.

I'm on the fence, my order is now over a year old, my price is locked in at $49k and $8k FSD. I may go ahead and take delivery and try to sell it at a profit before snapping up an Austin LR+.
Sorry to burst your bubble. Resale values for Tesla's are very high but NOT for the FSD prices though, Model y price now is $4000 more than what you reserved for which will offset the loss you might encounter with FSD a bit and you might get what you paid for the whole car.

Profit?? I don't think so. I am not saying it is impossible but highly unlikely.

I'm not sure why everybody expecting an immediate range increase, I'd think they will leave the same range just fewer cells.
This is already a good thing since, with redaction of wait from megacusting and lighter battery pack, we should be able to see better efficiency from the car.
Initially, they might not increase the range. Since the demand is too high, they will want to produce more cars to satisfy the demand. But, whether Tesla like's it or not demand will drop very soon as more cars come in to the market and I am sure they will increase the range at that point.

Also, tesla already expressed during quarterly investor meetings that Range improvement is their main priority. So, it might happen sooner than we think.

We got locked in pricing and in my case I do want a Austin MY for all the reasons that I’m sure have been mentioned here and in other places. Austin MY is gonna be 2.0 version essentially. It’s really dumb to not wait a couple months for it.
Nobody has any idea what the Austin built cars will be like or include.
For all we know they'll have quality control problems like the early model 3s and still come with the old batteries.

Or Tesla will consider it a substantial change and cancel everybody's reservation since you ordered the "old" model. This is what happened to people that thought they were going to get refreshed S and X cars. They got messages that Tesla was no longer producing that model, and that if they didn't take an inventory car they weren't getting *sugar*.

Maybe you'll get lucky. Or maybe you'll be one of the 50,000 posts on the forum talking about how Tesla screwed you and ruined your life.

Good luck.

I put my $100 down in May I think but put a hold on it until December (waiting for refinance to go through, bonuses, etc.). I'm seriously thinking about releasing the hold in the next month or so. I've been flipping back and forth on waiting to see if the Austin models will have more range just because I drive about 250 miles round trip a couple times a week and I'm guessing that with using AC/heat and going through the mountains, I may not get that range without a small charge up on the way back. The added range (if there was one) would easily get me there and back.

Sorry to burst your bubble. Resale values for Tesla's are very high but NOT for the FSD prices though, Model y price now is $4000 more than what you reserved for which will offset the loss you might encounter with FSD a bit and you might get what you paid for the whole car.

Profit?? I don't think so. I am not saying it is impossible but highly unlikely.
When we sold (private sale) our Model 3 with FSD nobody wanted to pay even a dime more for it. It sold at the same price as other non-FSDs. The resale value was good and we purchased FSD during the $2,000 sale at the end of 2018 so it wan't a huge loss, but I agree that FSD isn't worth much in the used marketplace. Until is actually does something useful I don't see it adding much value to price sensitive shoppers.

• Informative
Reactions: orion2001
Nobody has any idea what the Austin built cars will be like or include.
For all we know they'll have quality control problems like the early model 3s and still come with the old batteries.

Or Tesla will consider it a substantial change and cancel everybody's reservation since you ordered the "old" model. This is what happened to people that thought they were going to get refreshed S and X cars. They got messages that Tesla was no longer producing that model, and that if they didn't take an inventory car they weren't getting *sugar*.

Maybe you'll get lucky. Or maybe you'll be one of the 50,000 posts on the forum talking about how Tesla screwed you and ruined your life.

Good luck.
That's literally what happened to me with the MYSR. I got pretty much the last one that popped into inventory. I still have an existing MYSR order, but I filled one with an inventory car (which was a herculean effort) after Tesla told me they had no intention of ever filling my order.

In another thread someone is claiming a $20k+ offer over their price out the door. But good point about FSD, I should probably remove it if I don't plan to keep the vehicle. Luckily that seems to be possible without losing my $49k base price.