Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

who has BMW wheels on their S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't recommend doing so since the center bore (hub) diameter is not the same. I believe Tesla uses 64.1mm while BMW uses 72.6. If you can't get the proper hub-ring adapters then you'll place a lot more stress on the studs and invite all kinds of wheel vibration.

ive had hub centric spacers on at least 15 cars and 20 different wheels, thats not a concern for me at all, or an issue, as long as you bolt them on correctly (heck I even had one set that I couldn't find spacers and as long as you torque the bolts correctly and in a right way, it will never vibrate). Mercedes and vw have same bolt pattern, and always end up on vws, never was an issue from my experience or others on forums.
just wanna see some pics, surprised its not more common (tho Tesla wheels are pretty, maybe people just dont like experimenting?)

I mounted these aftermarket BMW wheels in summer 2014:
upload_2020-2-27_22-53-46.jpeg

It is a staggered set from Soleil Wheels, 20x8.5” and 20x10”.

For those of you that are interested: the set is for sale in The Netherlands, as I’ve switched to 21” Arachnids.

For sale

Indeed no worries about the center bore; just get the right adapter rings, available in every decent tire shop.

I don't have BMW branded wheels but I have wheels that were made for an F10 BMW 5 series. The F10 has the best offset and wheels size out of the BMW lineup that closely matches what our Model S needs. These are HRE P43SC 20x9 +27, 20x10 +40 and they fit perfectly. I could even space them out another 5mm if I wanted it a little more flush since I'm lowered.

IMG_20191109_083007_MP.jpg

I don't have BMW branded wheels but I have wheels that were made for an F10 BMW 5 series. The F10 has the best offset and wheels size out of the BMW lineup that closely matches what our Model S needs. These are HRE P43SC 20x9 +27, 20x10 +40 and they fit perfectly. I could even space them out another 5mm if I wanted it a little more flush since I'm lowered.

View attachment 516063

I think going for aftermarket wheels for BMW is the way to go rather than using OEM BMW because of the hub issue. Sure it's possible to mount and drive on lug-centric wheels, but I wouldn't recommend it. Going with aftermarket wheels allows you to use proper hub ring adapters to get the wheel centered properly.

I'd also note that using the proper lug nuts to match the wheel mount surface is also important. Again, it's possible to use a conical lug for a spherical surface and vice versa, but it's not recommended.

I use these lugs, please don't re-use the Tesla lugs, they are complete garbage.
(M14 x 1.5 Lug Nuts)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4VSVYG

The 5 series uses 72.6mm hub bore, you can easily find metal or plastic adapters to 64.1mm, plenty on amazon and ebay.
... I was going to go with some forged BMW M5 wheels until I stumbled across the HREs.

how are your wheels holding up? I have some 21” HRE S101’s off my M6 that I didn’t know would fit the model S. Can you please tell me everything I’d need to make them fit? I know you mentioned hubcentric adapter, how about the lug nuts? Offsets were actually m5 so I used spacers on the M6, don’t think I’ll have an issue there.

thanks in advance.

how are your wheels holding up? I have some 21” HRE S101’s off my M6 that I didn’t know would fit the model S. Can you please tell me everything I’d need to make them fit? I know you mentioned hubcentric adapter, how about the lug nuts? Offsets were actually m5 so I used spacers on the M6, don’t think I’ll have an issue there.

thanks in advance.

All you need are the hub centric rings (optional but recommended) and lug nuts. You can reuse stock lug nuts IF they fit in the lug nut holes of the wheels, otherwise you need any M14 x 1.5 lug nuts. I recommend not using the stock lug nuts, especially if you have the old version, since they can deform and cause major problems when removing/tightening them.

Do you know the offsets of the wheels? They should be etched into the back of the wheel somewhere.

All you need are the hub centric rings (optional but recommended) and lug nuts. You can reuse stock lug nuts IF they fit in the lug nut holes of the wheels, otherwise you need any M14 x 1.5 lug nuts. I recommend not using the stock lug nuts, especially if you have the old version, since they can deform and cause major problems when removing/tightening them.

Do you know the offsets of the wheels? They should be etched into the back of the wheel somewhere.

thanks for the very helpful response.

wheels are:
F 21 x 9.5 + 25
R 21 x 11 + 34

tires are 265/30/21 and 305/25/21