Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has done their own LTE upgrade?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 500197 No I didn’t bring my old sim in. I spoke with service and they said that they would sell me the LTE board for $85 but not the sim because it’s a restricted part. He then went on to say that if I change anything in the MCU they will know about it because I’ll “break a seal” and he MCU would no longer be covered under a warranty. Hey if anyone’s service center is selling them SIM cards I’d be a very happy guy if you could get one for me and I’ll pay you. Obviously I have one of the restrictive service centers near me.

My service center sells the LTE upgrade as a kit. I’d be happy to ask about purchasing a separate SIM card and let you know.

Lol- I just found that last night and was going to post it here!!! One question, when I took off the 3G board, one of the screws stuck in the bolt underneath and separated from the board below. Like you suggested, I removed it using a small socket. Can I just put he board back without securing that bolt or should I try to secure it with epoxy superglue or something else?View attachment 500405

Proper process would be carefully ez-out or drill that screw out (making sure to get all the metal shavings). As for liability reasons I would not recommend "using something non conductive to help hold the screw to the board to provide stability" You would also have to decide if 2 screws can hold the board secure enough for the kind of driving you do. ;) With that said I may start keeping a few old cages around in the event this happens to people. Going to see if I can also get a small inventory of all the mcu connectors so people can buy a replacement part if they happen to break a tab or something...

• Love
Reactions: Shadious
I ordered a used set from Ukraine. I’ll let you know how that works. Let me know how you make out when you buy yours.
Thanks @Tony T, I did not know if the screws were required to allow the card to function properly. I should have mine back together tomorrow and I’ll update afterwards. I am a bit bummed about the broken screw, but maybe I’ll just make do with two screws as opposed to 3

Thanks @Tony T, I did not know if the screws were required to allow the card to function properly. I should have mine back together tomorrow and I’ll update afterwards. I am a bit bummed about the broken screw, but maybe I’ll just make do with two screws as opposed to 3

Probably best to secure it the best you can... But afaik it's not electrical.

Well everything worked out great! Thanks @Tony T C5C68D0D-F2FE-46E1-8945-7C19F7C2814E.jpeg F095C8CF-EEE7-45B3-ABAB-2974033D8E4A.jpeg 334A9589-1D3F-4C75-9D08-607B0D78485E.jpeg for all the guidance and help through the process- you are a true asset to the forums and Tesla community! I got the new daughter board installed along with the LTE kit. Everything works great and I feel the processing speed is better now too. A couple of pics ....

Would anyone know how to activate a non Tesla sim in a non-core market zone?

With MCU1 EU cars built after 2015, we had the sim extender right next to the CAN diagnostics port beneath the center screen. We would replace sim, if necessary change APN from dev mode and that'd be it.

However with MCU2 there is no sim extender. Instead, there's a sim slot to the right of the MCU cage. When we replace it with another sim (no pin codes on the sim obviously) it doesn't work. When we try to change APN from MCU2 dev mode it always fails on stays on a loop so we have to reset. After rest old APN is back. I'm suspecting it might be programmed to work with eSIM but our market doesn't have eSIM. I'd appreciate a guide to enable MCU2 non-Tesla sim internet.

• Love
Reactions: Saleen09
Well everything worked out great! Thanks @Tony TView attachment 500699 View attachment 500700 View attachment 500703 for all the guidance and help through the process- you are a true asset to the forums and Tesla community! I got the new daughter board installed along with the LTE kit. Everything works great and I feel the processing speed is better now too. A couple of pics ....
Very nice. My board and sim just arrived in NYC from Ukraine... Install coming soon. I can't believe I'm jumping through hoops to get this hardware when some SC's are still selling it... and cheaper than what I paid used. I thought i did my research. LOL

Very nice. My board and sim just arrived in NYC from Ukraine... Install coming soon. I can't believe I'm jumping through hoops to get this hardware when some SC's are still selling it... and cheaper than what I paid used. I thought i did my research. LOL
Just a side note, the SC sold the board with a SIM chip in it, along with another brand new chip. I was not sure why, so I put the brand new one in and took the old one out. The SIM card cost $18 and was obviously needed. I am skeptical that yours will work without the SIM, but fingers crossed! If not you will need to buy a SIM card. Maybe calling a few SC will get you a “yes” answer.

• Informative
Reactions: T.R.T.e.s.l.a.
Just a side note, the SC sold the board with a SIM chip in it, along with another brand new chip. I was not sure why, so I put the brand new one in and took the old one out. The SIM card cost $18 and was obviously needed. I am skeptical that yours will work without the SIM, but fingers crossed! If not you will need to buy a SIM card. Maybe calling a few SC will get you a “yes” answer.
Thats strange about the 2 sim cards. Mine is supposed to have the original LTE sim card still in the board. So hopefully no issues.

Thats strange about the 2 sim cards. Mine is supposed to have the original LTE sim card still in the board. So hopefully no issues.
After further digging, my assessment is that the SIM card was put in the board prior to selling it to me. The package had been opened and the parts guy had no idea why. He thought maybe the service department opened it up and decided they didn’t need it. I was assured it was an unused part. So... the SIM card may very well be a working card that I’ll keep as a back up...

My parts came today from Urkaine ebay purchase. Took about 1.5 hours to get this done. I was very care and methodical and everything worked out perfectly. I will say that LTE coverage is lacking compared to 3G. Where I would have almost full bars of 3G, I have 1 bar of LTE. Even so, its faster so no real complaint there. Thanks for all the insight.

Purchased all the required parts from Charlotte NC service center for $109 + taxes. I've read some horror stories about other locations, but credit where credit is due, the service & people here are definitely really good. Excited to try it out in the next weekend or 2. I hope I don't break any trim parts and everything goes well. Fingers crossed. It'll also help me remove my Tegra board for eMMC replacement. I don't have much symptoms yet, but starting to see random "Navigation without live data" message.

Also planning to remove the instrument cluster while I'm at it. It has 2 small bubbles on top for the past 2-3 months. Thinking of sealing the screen edges with gorilla epoxy or something so that it doesn't worsen in summer. Any tips/suggestions for that mini project? Thanks in advance.

Edit: small tidbit- the service people said it'll need a firmware upgrade for LTE retrofit where the service person will need to physically access the MCU and configure it. That'll be about 1hr labor @ $175. I said it's still worth it because I was quoted $600 for full retrofit by them. Made both of us laugh :) In any case, looks like it isn't required as others have done it without any additional work.

Purchased all the required parts from Charlotte NC service center for $109 + taxes. I've read some horror stories about other locations, but credit where credit is due, the service & people here are definitely really good. Excited to try it out in the next weekend or 2. I hope I don't break any trim parts and everything goes well. Fingers crossed. It'll also help me remove my Tegra board for eMMC replacement. I don't have much symptoms yet, but starting to see random "Navigation without live data" message.

Also planning to remove the instrument cluster while I'm at it. It has 2 small bubbles on top for the past 2-3 months. Thinking of sealing the screen edges with gorilla epoxy or something so that it doesn't worsen in summer. Any tips/suggestions for that mini project? Thanks in advance.

Edit: small tidbit- the service people said it'll need a firmware upgrade for LTE retrofit where the service person will need to physically access the MCU and configure it. That'll be about 1hr labor @ $175. I said it's still worth it because I was quoted $600 for full retrofit by them. Made both of us laugh :) In any case, looks like it isn't required as others have done it without any additional work.
That’s great to hear. Although I feel like *sugar* because I had to spend $165 on a used unit for Ukraine because my service center would not sell me a SIM card. They said it’s a restricted part. Maybe because I’m still in full warranty.