Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has driven LR and P or D?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some folks have posted their acceleration graphs on another thread comparing P3D and S/X P's...
If i recall correctly when comparing those graphs, the P3D acceleration is very linear vs an initial jump and taper off from the S/X. Probably accounts for the 'gut punch' or lack thereof. I'd be curious to see a P85D vs P3D side by side since the specs are close, but power delivery is different.

Reactions: bradhs
hmm you're making me want to go on another test drive not during rush hour to try it again.
At the time I did have some hesitancy to push an expensive test vehicle I wasn't familiar with too hard and due to the traffic there were very few opportunities to really go for it anyway.
I thought I floored it all the way on 1 on ramp, but you're making me doubt myself now.

Well yes if you had to test drive in heavy traffic that would be a limiter for sure... I had a long straight open road and the employee even let me take it up a twisty mountain road a ways, which he says they don't usually allow or have time for recently, but because I already had ordered it, he wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting. So I had a great test drive, minimal traffic, throwing it through a few corners (he said treat it like you'll treat yours!) and then two 0-60 launches, the first of which I definitely felt a gut wrench, the second of which was still fast but less gut wrench, whether that's because they were back to back or because I was already expecting it, not sure. Either way, I definitely felt a difference b/w RWD and P with just how much bottled energy it feels it has when you push the pedal. Both have instant torque but the P feels like it's clawing with all fours to GO while the RWD felt much more...tame. Still wonder how the AWD fits in this spectrum, but once I made the decision to test drive the P I knew I'm not going back :p

I currently have a Model S P90D and Model 3 LR, and had the opportunity to test drive the Model 3 on windy roads behind Tesla HQ recently. Here are my observations:

• I love my Model 3 LR -- plenty quick and a blast to drive
  • Model 3P is MUCH quicker and handling feels tighter than 3 LR
  • 3P's acceleration is especially powerful at speed -- coming out of turns, passing and just driving around it is awesome
  • 3P off the line is much faster than LR but doesn't have the same knock-you-back-in-your-seat, send the phone and drinks flying initial acceleration of the Model S P90D
  • I also loved the white interior on the 3P (did not expect to)
I still love my 3 LR, but left the test drive wishing I had held out for the 3P -- it's really fun.

I currently have a Model S P90D and Model 3 LR, and had the opportunity to test drive the Model 3 on windy roads behind Tesla HQ recently. Here are my observations:

• I love my Model 3 LR -- plenty quick and a blast to drive
  • Model 3P is MUCH quicker and handling feels tighter than 3 LR
  • 3P's acceleration is especially powerful at speed -- coming out of turns, passing and just driving around it is awesome
  • 3P off the line is much faster than LR but doesn't have the same knock-you-back-in-your-seat, send the phone and drinks flying initial acceleration of the Model S P90D
  • I also loved the white interior on the 3P (did not expect to)
I still love my 3 LR, but left the test drive wishing I had held out for the 3P -- it's really fun.

This is on point.

I've driven (not owned) a P85D, P90D, 3LR, and now I own the P3D+ (or whatever we're calling it) The P90D definitely throws you back more on takeoff, but IMO, the P3D launches are something you can tolerate more frequently. I've only had the car since Tuesday evening, and have had limited seat time (100 miles), but it's a blast to get on the throttle at any speed. I've found it exploring its traction limits from a stop, and on the highway it goes 60-90 before you realize it. It must appear to other drivers that I've traveled through time and have suddenly and instantaneously fast-forwarded 10 car lengths...

The 3LR is fun, but the acceleration from a stop lags quite a bit. I did enjoy the acceleration at speed, but I don't recall it feeling nearly the same. Handling wasn't as crisp either, but there are aftermarket solutions for that. So far, I'm not regretting the $$$ spent!

Ok folks thx for the input. I decided to go for the P. Stealth. No 20” wheels, red calipers, or spoiler. Sure wish they offered the 19s, so I may go aftermarket at some point if I want other rubber. Hopefully will be delivered within my timing parameters. It seems like a lot of cash, but I expect to keep it 10 years so maybe it will pay off in grins. My 2012 P85 sure has.

I have a 3LR for 1.5 months and I drove test drove the P3D a few days ago. First impressions are the car feels heavier, but more balanced. The turns are tighter with minimal oversteer. Acceleration difference is noticeable. The P3D jolts your head to the seat whereas the 3LR doesn't. The ride comfort with the performance package was similar to my 18 Aeros.
In the end the extra speed is nice to have. I thought I was going to regret test driving the P3D, but I love my 3LR more now. If you have extra cash to burn for the P3D then it's may be worth it. I would probably only utilize the extra speed 10% of the time.

I have a 3LR for 1.5 months and I drove test drove the P3D a few days ago. First impressions are the car feels heavier, but more balanced. The turns are tighter with minimal oversteer. Acceleration difference is noticeable. The P3D jolts your head to the seat whereas the 3LR doesn't. The ride comfort with the performance package was similar to my 18 Aeros.
In the end the extra speed is nice to have. I thought I was going to regret test driving the P3D, but I love my 3LR more now. If you have extra cash to burn for the P3D then it's may be worth it. I would probably only utilize the extra speed 10% of the time.

Thanks for the comparison! Have you driven a standard dual motor version, also?

This morning while laying in bed trying not to wake up I was thinking of the P3D vs 3D vs 3LR. Here is something I was thinking. Since the real world need for quick speed is passing, why not test that acceleration, from 55 mph to 65/70/80 mph.

Have a pace car be a MS P100D in the second lane of a straight, flat 3 or 4 lane freeway during early morning Sunday when very little traffic on the road.

Following behind would be a P3D in left lane, 3LR behind the MS 100D, then a 3D in the right lane.

With all vehicles traveling 55 mph the pace car could have some kind of strobe light that signals all vehicles to accelerate at the same time, including the MS P100D.

With enough video cameras on each vehicle recording this run we could get lots of data to analyse. Just a thought. At least I would enjoy watching this video.

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
The rather large loss of efficiency changed my mind on the AWD. The loss of 30 miles of unadvertised range was not worth the marginal decrease in 0-60 speed.

I felt that way too. Except the it wasn't a simple 0-60 decrease, the actual acceleration profile is different with an AWD. Regardless, you're doing yourself a favor by staying with the RWD because its a nice cost savings. As long as your happy with the existing RWD performance the RWD is plenty good.

Thanks for posting the comparisons beteeent the P85D (which I have) and the P3D (in order). I’ve driven the P85D now for 50K miles, the initial 0-35 punch is amazing. When I test drive the P3D I noticed that to be missing. But the acceleration after 35 from the P3D appears to increase telling me it may do better when you’re already rolling vs the P85D.

The P3D handles better, would likely run circles around my P85D.

I wonder if that instant kick has to do with the SRM vs. AC induction motor torque curve differences.

Your 85D has two AC induction motors while the AWD has a SRM and AC Induction. RWD has a single SRM motor.

That perceived 0-20 lag probably has due to the functional limits of the 2 motor technologies.