Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has had/having their roadster deposit refunded

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More baseless claims. Got some examples to support your statement?
The burden of providing facts when you say you’ve provided facts is on you not me. I’m claiming what you said was opinion. Did you research the behavior of some swath of roadster buyers and do some analysis to say they thing 50k is piddly? No, then it’s conjecture.

I have spoken to a statistically insignificant number of deposit holders. Thus I made no guess as to what people are thinking but offered one reason that you would not give a deposit versus give a deposit. Nothing more than an theory one why to hold the cash versus lend it out. I didn’t make any behavioral determinations, thus I was asking what people thought.

I’m very sorry but claiming your opinions as facts is misguided. I’m asking what people think you gave your opinion and you think no one who gave a deposit would care—great. However, I have some examples of those who did. It doesn’t mean that’s broad sentiment so I became more curious about what people where thinking. I didn’t say people are dropping their deposits or withholding them for investment purposes. I gave that as one reason to do so, but I’m sure there others.

happy 4th to you and yours.

Last edited:
The burden of providing facts when you say you’ve provided facts is on you not me. I’m claiming what you said was opinion. Did you research the behavior of some swath of roadster buyers and do some analysis to say they thing 50k is piddly? No, then it’s conjecture.

I have spoken to a statistically insignificant number of deposit holders. Thus I made no guess as to what people are thinking but offered one reason that you would not give a deposit versus give a deposit. Nothing more than an theory one why to hold the cash versus lend it out. I didn’t make any behavioral determinations, thus I was asking what people thought.

I’m very sorry but claiming your opinions as facts is misguided. I’m asking what people think you gave your opinion and you think no one who gave a deposit would care—great. However, I have some examples of those who did. It doesn’t mean that’s broad sentiment so I became more curious about what people where thinking. I didn’t say people are dropping their deposits or withholding them for investment purposes. I gave that as one reason to do so, but I’m sure there others.

happy 4th to you and yours.

No but accusing me of something I haven't done and then being asked to provide proof to back up that claim is 100% on you. You said that I have an opinion but it's not supported by facts and is only supported by subjective opinion and I asked for proof of this accusation as the basis for the entire stance is based on that. Should be easy to produce, right?

If you don't want to be called out for your BS... don't post BS in the first place. Have a conversation based on the facts & don't take everything personal just because it doesn't jibe with what you think. This is how adults communicate.

Now you want to act like your post was literally based on the opportunity cost of the deposit when this was your very first post to start this whole thing:

I was going to out a deposit on a Roadster quite some time ago (early 2018) and thought better of the 50k interest free loano especially after getting opinions here. Given the roadster was being built in 2017 (we‘re building them now quote) and it’s now mid-2021 with no relief insight. Has anyone changed their mind and gotten, or in the process of getting, their deposit back? The missed market returns over the few years would’ve frustrated me and while I’d like to own one some day I’m very glad I didn’t cough up 5ok for what is starting to grim as far as delivery dates.

I was thinking this over because of the lack of info on Cybertruck which I think is a low priced and potentially high volume seller. Giving up 100 bucks on an option to own one is easy but the wait isn’t.

"The missed market returns over the few years would’ve frustrated me..." Your words. Not mine.

Tell me again how your conversation is scientific and not opinion based and you weren't actually stating the things you stated again.

No but accusing me of something I haven't done and then being asked to provide proof to back up that claim is 100% on you. You said that I have an opinion but it's not supported by facts and is only supported by subjective opinion and I asked for proof of this accusation as the basis for the entire stance is based on that. Should be easy to produce, right?

If you don't want to be called out for your BS... don't post BS in the first place. Have a conversation based on the facts & don't take everything personal just because it doesn't jibe with what you think. This is how adults communicate.

Now you want to act like your post was literally based on the opportunity cost of the deposit when this was your very first post to start this whole thing:

"The missed market returns over the few years would’ve frustrated me..." Your words. Not mine.

Tell me again how your conversation is scientific and not opinion based and you weren't actually stating the things you stated again.
Mine isn’t scientific. I said that it was a theory as to why one would withhold a deposit. I didn’t once say I think that’s what people are doing. The entire purpose was to ask people what they were doing.

as for your assertions of facts you provided none, and that’s ok, you offered an opinion. Opinions, like theories, are what we think and don’t pass as facts.

I then simply said I must have missed your facts, or what you think are facts, so please refer me to the items that weren’t conjecture and were rooted in fact. I read your posts they are only conveying your feelings. Sorry you find this confusing.

Let’s try this out. The sun is hot. While that sounds like an opinion we know the sun is roughly 5800 K, so yeah that’s hot and we can say it’s a fact the sun is hot.

I said it’s hot out today and my wife said it’s comfortable. It’s 82, I think that’s warm, my opinion, my wife doesn’t.

50k is a piddly amount of money for someone who’s buying a 250k car. You say it’s not, valid opinion. I say it’s is, valid opinion. Your opinion is just different then mine. What I didn’t say is that what I believe be true my theory on deposits is evidenced in behavior. I was asking people thoughts on behavior.

You say the 50k doesn’t drive behavior and provide some basis for that reasoning. That basis is still conjecture about what wealthy people think. Unless there’s some scientific poll behind that it’s just what you believe and it drives your opinion. All of which is good but it does translate to facts. I may if we could study in depth but until then we don’t know.

my comment on missed market returns is a fact as it relates to me and not others. The point was to find out if others had considered this. I’m sure many don’t care. They may also have lifted deposits for other reasons which would be interesting too.

I have not yet made a deposit having worried about this exact issue. There is no question that the duration of interest free deposit is part of the purchase price which is now longer than one may have anticipated. But the purchase price has not increased for inflation either. Hopefully it stays that way. If future owners who have not paid a deposit have to pay a higher price your interest free deposit would suddenly have a return after all.

Reactions: Zer0t
Having decided against the original Roadster despite a very impressive drive shortly after launch, it was the new Roadster that tempted me again. For about 30 seconds I considered the founders’ edition, and then more realistically the $50k deposit. But it didn't take long to realise that a Model S 'bird in the hand' would be so much more enjoyable than $50k of my cash in Tesla’s account / bush while they drag out delivery for years.

Getting the S also gave me chance to get to know some truths of dealing with Tesla.

Once FSD bitten, twice Roadster shy!

The EV landscape is changing pretty fast. I'm on my my 4th EV with a 64kwh Kona. While not without some flaws, it is a very viable car and with 250 to 300+ mile real range it makes the very best of its battery. And it has a straightforward 10 year battery warranty too plus 5 year bumper to bumper.

I have certainly come to the conclusion that with Tesla you should only pay based on today's reality because the goalposts are quite likely to get shifted.

I felt like I got a glimpse of the real Tesla when I studied the battery warranty on the MS.... Unlimited miles, no restrictions (supercharging etc), but without any clear statement about what performance they guaranteed.

I really hope the Roadster does deliver and that it will be worth owning one day, but I'm not going to pay until I can see the exact product I'll be buying.

I find it difficult to take somebody serious who is citing the opportunity cost of $50,000 over a few years worth of investment when they're end goal for that money is to buy a $200,000+ brand new vehicle that will be worth half of that in three to four years. This never was an investment opportunity so acting like you're out something when you don't get your massive depreciating asset in a timely manner is a bit counterintuitive.
Honestly, I’d expect this car to quickly increase in value.

your anger is odd. I asked a question as to whether or not people were tired of waiting on a car while sitting on an interest free loan to Tesla. Then we had a discussion that the smart money would stay invested. Regardless of the depreciation putting that money out when it could generate substantial returns is a poor decision. I’m not getting your point other than anger.

I don’t think I was assertive as I’ll be damned if I give anyone an interest free loan. I didn’t say it and didn’t infer it. I’d certainly do it in the right case but to an incredibly valuable car manufacturer? Uh, no I don’t think they’re deserving of an interest free loan. Would they be so kind to me? Of course not. Don’t exaggerate my comment.

I didn’t declare myself anything other than someone who makes his living investing money thus the lack of desire to give up returns for vapor ware. I said experienced and nothing else. The rest is your projection.
I’m sorry for, and equally puzzled by, your anger over this question. But I’m happy you’re buying cars, enjoying them and turning a profit. So why post in the thread that doesn’t interest you?

I think you’re best off muting me because I obviously trigger you. In summary I’m puzzled by your reaction that I’m questioning to see if people are tired of holding on to these deposits for so long.

In the end the simple answer to your comment about depreciation is it’s better to lose 100k than 125k.
any rational person can see and agree with your point. waiting for a vehicle does not mean 4 yrs and counting while someone uses your money for their own investments. you could have bought bitcoin but elon used your 50k to buy his own

Question. How long after wiring over the cash was it confirmed on your Tesla account? I sent it over yesterday morning and I'm not seeing it on the account yet ~28 hours later. Not that it's been a huge amount of time but I have a little anxiety surrounding this.

I'll point the insults, etc out for you.

You wrote:
I find it difficult to take somebody serious who is citing the opportunity cost of $50,000 over a few years worth of investment....

That's insulting to assume someone isn't serious because you disagree with their opinion. I would take someone serious who was thoughtful on how to deploy 50,000 of their hard earned money.

You wrote:
Ohh... I see now. You didn't realize you were putting a deposit on something that wasn't yet created from a company with a track record of delays. Got it. It super sucks that Tesla forced you to make such a decision and took advantage of your lack of knowledge on money related topics.

Insulting, patronizing and antagonizing. Tesla didn't force me, or anyone else, to put a deposit on the car. It was clearly a willful decision by any who did so. Then you insult me further when you say, "...took advantage of your lack of knowledge on money related topics."

I wasn't taken advantage because I didn't apply the deposit. Also you are insulting my intelligence, kind of just period, but at least specifically as it relates to money management.

Then at the end of the same post your wrote:
I think I'll stick with my 4-year-old cars that someone else has taken that hit on and sell them for a profit.

This way we know how smart your are after insulting my intelligence earlier in the post.

I wrote:
"However, as someone who’s been managing funds for over 30 years I always consider returns."

You wrote in response:
"...but hey, I'm not a fancy fund manager like you so what do I know about finances?"

Did I use any words like fancy? Just staying that my 30 years of practice at something causes me to think about things a certain way. It's providing context. I see no grand claims associated with my statement, you added that. I'd rate this as antagonizing at best.

You wrote:
"Meanwhile, I'm over here looking at that on the front end like "I'll be damned if I'm going to give anyone a $50k interest free loan for any reason,"

Looking at what? I didn't get righteous in my portrayal. I simply stated that it's not a smart financial move to provide an interest free loan. I am carefully weighing the outlay of 50,000 bucks. Yes I don't give interest free loans to for profit entities. Friend or family member, different story. Antagonizing.

You wrote:
"These bots sure are getting good at stirring an empty pot these days."

Insulting.

I wasn't projecting when I said these posts came across as angry. Actually, assuming you were angry was wrong on my part and I take it back. I feel as though you were attacking and antagonizing me and I'll leave it that. Writing makes it hard to read intent, so you are correct, I do not know the context under which you were posting. I retract the angry statements. However, if after reading this you don't see how someone could insulted then I guess we just see things very differently and you know what? cinema hd That's ok.

More than happy to understand the items that I wrote that may have insulted you and reconsider them.
Thank you very much.

Reactions: cgell and Zer0t