Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has installed their own chrome delete?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• B91E1C9E-6559-48AB-8FEF-AA170FF1730A.jpeg
    B91E1C9E-6559-48AB-8FEF-AA170FF1730A.jpeg
    694.9 KB · Views: 189
its basically just matte black of plasti dip for all of the chrome trim, the handles however I did something a bit different, I didnt want them to standout as much against the paint, so I made them very close to the actual color of the car.

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpeg
    IMG_1343.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1344.jpeg
    IMG_1344.jpeg
    376.1 KB · Views: 143
here are the door handles. Its not exact, but its surprisingly close enough, I just used the same coloring as the rims which I also did. Color is 4 layers of matte black, and then lightly dusting top with the pearlescent, it lightens up the black to different degrees of effectively grey...

Attachments

• IMG_1301.jpeg
    IMG_1301.jpeg
    290.8 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_1306.jpeg
    IMG_1306.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: bktiger86
I know you asked about kits, but Im gonna wait on doing vinyl.....I may end up using a kit at some point, but I wanted to see how good I could make plasti dip look, even though I know it wont last forever, it just cost me 3.5 cans of dip plus the masking supplies, did it in about 4 hours. I am by no means a painter, so first go wasnt very successful, but by the 3rd try I got the technique down and I am happy with it....

Attachments

• IMG_1342.jpeg
    IMG_1342.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 138
Just plasti dipped the emblems too much of a pain to do them with vinyl. Nikola kit was convenient because it was already pre-cut but it was annoying trying to find all the correct pieces need in the the kit because of the duplicates. Then having to watch the vid to find which one went where and order to do them in. It was missing a couple pieces for the mirrors so I just ended up using my leftover vinyl to finish it rather than waiting on them to send the missing ones. Since I did mine with a longer roll I was able to do the trim piece over the windows in 1 piece rather than 2 or 3 pieces that the other kits would be. Less seams just looks cleaner to me.

Just plasti dipped the emblems too much of a pain to do them with vinyl. Nikola kit was convenient because it was already pre-cut but it was annoying trying to find all the correct pieces need in the the kit because of the duplicates. Then having to watch the vid to find which one went where and order to do them in. It was missing a couple pieces for the mirrors so I just ended up using my leftover vinyl to finish it rather than waiting on them to send the missing ones. Since I did mine with a longer roll I was able to do the trim piece over the windows in 1 piece rather than 2 or 3 pieces that the other kits would be. Less seams just looks cleaner to me.
Yeah, I’m not interested in having seams.

Reactions: rickyjb
I did mine with plasti dip about 3 years ago. Did all the chrome except the handles, (wanted the clash of chrome) and the rear applique thing, (just didn't seem necessary as it blended well in the back).
I did the T on the front and back as orange for leukemia awareness with plastidip as well.
The whole process was easy and i did it all in an afternoon to include cleaning and masking the car. With the exception of the louvers, i did those recently when i was replacing the louvers, so it was one of those since its apart already things. but it looks a lot better with the louvers blacked out.
I'm currently trying to figure out how to remove some of the chrome pieces so i can do a permanent black paint on it. But plastidip holds up well, as i've put over 80k miles on the car in 3 years and it still looks good.
Sorry for the dirty car but its the only pic i have :)

IMG.jpg

Reactions: davidc18