TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Who has installed their own chrome delete?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by domodan, Sep 29, 2020.

1. domodan

domodan Member

I'm curious to hear from anyone who has done this themselves. Curious how it turned out, what kit you used, and if you'd do it again. Bonus for pics!

Thinking of doing the chrome delete on my Midnight Silver Metallic and using the Matte Black film. Would love to hear from anyones experience.

• Like x 2
  2. Ken-E

Ken-E Member

3. Ken-E

Ken-E Member

Attached Files:

4. Durwood101

Durwood101 Member

I recently did mine. Let me see if I can throw up some pics

5. domodan

domodan Member

That would be awesome! Which kit did you use? Was it hard? How long did it take?

6. Durwood101

Durwood101 Member

its basically just matte black of plasti dip for all of the chrome trim, the handles however I did something a bit different, I didnt want them to standout as much against the paint, so I made them very close to the actual color of the car.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
  7. Durwood101

Durwood101 Member

here are the door handles. Its not exact, but its surprisingly close enough, I just used the same coloring as the rims which I also did. Color is 4 layers of matte black, and then lightly dusting top with the pearlescent, it lightens up the black to different degrees of effectively grey...

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  8. Durwood101

Durwood101 Member

I know you asked about kits, but Im gonna wait on doing vinyl.....I may end up using a kit at some point, but I wanted to see how good I could make plasti dip look, even though I know it wont last forever, it just cost me 3.5 cans of dip plus the masking supplies, did it in about 4 hours. I am by no means a painter, so first go wasnt very successful, but by the 3rd try I got the technique down and I am happy with it....

Attached Files:

• Like x 3
  9. Durwood101

Durwood101 Member

Here is the side cameras and the front/back emblems.

Attached Files:

• Like x 5
  10. domodan

domodan Member

Thank you. I hadn’t thought about PlastiDip. That’s a good idea, but it makes me nervous for some reason.

• Like x 1
  11. bktiger86

bktiger86 Member

Very impressive. Great job on the DIY

12. mipmapped

mipmapped Supporting Member

I used Tesbros pre cut chrome delete and was very pleased with the result. All instructions are by videos on YouTube. The kit came with two sets in the box in case of a mistake. And I replacing the Tempest wheels while I was at it.

Attached Files:

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  13. krsgio

krsgio Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did my own using a roll of 3M satin black. I did a Nikola kit for my moms 3.

• Like x 1
  14. GHammer

GHammer What a long strange trip its been.

I did mine a few years ago with a combination of vinyl from RPMTesla and Plastidip for the parts they dont sell.
    20160609_191334crop.jpg

• Like x 1
  15. domodan

domodan Member

How did you do the emblems? Would you recommend the Nikola kit?

16. krsgio

krsgio Member

Just plasti dipped the emblems too much of a pain to do them with vinyl. Nikola kit was convenient because it was already pre-cut but it was annoying trying to find all the correct pieces need in the the kit because of the duplicates. Then having to watch the vid to find which one went where and order to do them in. It was missing a couple pieces for the mirrors so I just ended up using my leftover vinyl to finish it rather than waiting on them to send the missing ones. Since I did mine with a longer roll I was able to do the trim piece over the windows in 1 piece rather than 2 or 3 pieces that the other kits would be. Less seams just looks cleaner to me.

17. domodan

domodan Member

Yeah, I’m not interested in having seams.

• Like x 1
  18. somebodyDK

somebodyDK New Member

That looks beautiful! Did you have to remove the different parts or could you wrap them while they were attached to the car?
    Nice rims by the way!!

19. Durwood101

Durwood101 Member

Thanks man!

20. airborne spoon

I did mine with plasti dip about 3 years ago. Did all the chrome except the handles, (wanted the clash of chrome) and the rear applique thing, (just didn't seem necessary as it blended well in the back).
    I did the T on the front and back as orange for leukemia awareness with plastidip as well.
    The whole process was easy and i did it all in an afternoon to include cleaning and masking the car. With the exception of the louvers, i did those recently when i was replacing the louvers, so it was one of those since its apart already things. but it looks a lot better with the louvers blacked out.
    I'm currently trying to figure out how to remove some of the chrome pieces so i can do a permanent black paint on it. But plastidip holds up well, as i've put over 80k miles on the car in 3 years and it still looks good.
    Sorry for the dirty car but its the only pic i have :)

IMG.jpg

• Like x 1