Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tire noise is definitely louder but that's usually par for the course with winter compounds.

I got the Nokian R3's installed on Monday. They are definitely noisy. I don't know if this is because it's a brand new tire and the noise will come down once worn a bit. The noise seems to be more a whirling sound... it scales with the car speed. I can see it being annoying for longer trips - good thing I don't travel too much in the winter I guess.

I got the Nokian R3's installed on Monday. They are definitely noisy. I don't know if this is because it's a brand new tire and the noise will come down once worn a bit. The noise seems to be more a whirling sound... it scales with the car speed. I can see it being annoying for longer trips - good thing I don't travel too much in the winter I guess.

I rather enjoy the whine up/down - feels like sound effects from Star Trek :) #nerdup!

All,
I have a RWD model 3 and have I believe experienced the limited regen with winter tires. Rather than going by gut feel I decided to get some empirical data. I've hosted it in a google spreadsheet. I recorded a video of my car with winter tires decelerating from ~45mph to ~12mph and went frame by frame to create a graph. Then I took two youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4TpAZZvO1Y & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8dw4g95eWQ and did the same thing.
Note: These were three different cars running potentially three different software versions, if I get the motiviation this weekend I may swap tires to get a more apples to apples comparison, maybe Tesla will fix it before then.
In the meantime if anyone would like to link me to a video of their speedometer in a car with full regen capability(warm battery) I can add it to the sheet to compare(either summer or winter tires, AWD or RWD).

Anyways the takeaway is with summer tires see about 60% more regen in the 20-40mph range, and regen about equal in the <20mph range
Comparing 30mph as a datapoint
Canuck (winter) = -1.15 m/s^2
My car (winter) = -1.00 m/s^2
Nick's (summer) = -1.92 m/s^2
View attachment 352864

Here is the google spreadsheet link if you want to take a look Tesla Regen Research

This is useful info!

Ever since the 42.2.1 software update, I haven't had a problem with regen anymore. Temperature has remained consistently between -2 and 10, same tires, same PSI (approx 42-45)

• Helpful
Reactions: noicepls
Just one more Data point.

Friend has RWD with 18" Aero's. Had it since end of August.

He had Michelin X-Ice Xi3's installed on his existing RIM's/TPMS this morning. And Did 70 miles highway immediately.

No difference, No lost Regen. I believe he is on 42.3. Temp is in the 30's F today.

Just picked up the car and drove for around 7-10kms or so. Definitely feeling the absence of regen. The green bar maxes out the available regen limit but almost nothing is felt. It's 0c where I am right now.

Tire noise is definitely louder but that's usually par for the course with winter compounds.

I don't believe it's the compounds that account for increased noise, it's the more aggressive tread pattern.
Not all snows are louder. My Xi3's are quieter than the stock acoustic 18's.
I specifically chose the Xi3's for their low noise, since the Model 3 is already noisy enough and could not deal with it being any worse.

Which snow tires do you have by the way. Than can make a big difference.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ

With the music on I don't really notice it much. The acoustic foam in the OEM tires also helped reduce some decibal points.

I don't believe it's the compounds that account for increased noise, it's the more aggressive tread pattern.
Not all snows are louder. My Xi3's are quieter than the stock acoustic 18's.
I specifically chose the Xi3's for their low noise, since the Model 3 is already noisy enough and could not deal with it being any worse.

Which snow tires do you have by the way. Than can make a big difference.
I have XI2s on my rav4 and yeah I don't notice the being very loud.

I have the Hakka R3's on my Model 3. Lucky I got them installed before the first snowfall in my area.

I got the Tesla 18” tire package installed today. Had limited regen for my first couple of trips, but on my third trip full regen was available. Only had to drive about 20 kms.

Edited to add: I really like the Pirelli Sottozero II tires. They gripped the road very well in the light/wet snow we had in Toronto today.

All,
I have a RWD model 3 and have I believe experienced the limited regen with winter tires. Rather than going by gut feel I decided to get some empirical data. I've hosted it in a google spreadsheet. I recorded a video of my car with winter tires decelerating from ~45mph to ~12mph and went frame by frame to create a graph. Then I took two youtube videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4TpAZZvO1Y & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8dw4g95eWQ and did the same thing.
Note: These were three different cars running potentially three different software versions, if I get the motiviation this weekend I may swap tires to get a more apples to apples comparison, maybe Tesla will fix it before then.
In the meantime if anyone would like to link me to a video of their speedometer in a car with full regen capability(warm battery) I can add it to the sheet to compare(either summer or winter tires, AWD or RWD).

Anyways the takeaway is with summer tires see about 60% more regen in the 20-40mph range, and regen about equal in the <20mph range
Comparing 30mph as a datapoint
Canuck (winter) = -1.15 m/s^2
My car (winter) = -1.00 m/s^2
Nick's (summer) = -1.92 m/s^2
View attachment 352864

Here is the google spreadsheet link if you want to take a look Tesla Regen Research
This correlates with some test results I posted a few days ago:

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

I've also noticed something interesting tonight with our fresh snowfall:

The regen below ~ 30 km/h is essentially zero when you are on a snowy side street. To me this really adds credence to the issue that the 'regen issue' people are reporting here is indeed due to the Tesla traction control feedback limiting the regen...likely because they feel it is safer to operate this way and not have the car 'spin out' because someone isn't used to driving an EV where you really should gently remove your foot from the accelerator. Its second nature to me now, but every non EV driver I've let drive my model 3 cant get their head around 'feathering' the accelerator and they end up driving like a 16 year old learning to drive stick :)

Anyway, I didn't have much time to do a good test but I did capture some accelerometer data showing that the regen below 30 km/h is basically gone when your tires start to 'slip' on the snow. I didn't take a video, but along with this data you can see that the green regen bar 'flutters' a bit, and is essentially non-existent in this instance.

Also, to re-iterate I have an AWD and this regen issue is definitely present. People in the last few pages still seem to keep thinking this is a RWD only phenomenon. Look at my post linked above, before/after winter tires and its 50% less regen at higher speeds, and 'normal regen' at low speeds...until tonight when low speeds also dont work due to the low traction in the snow.

upload_2018-11-15_22-13-48.png

You can see in the plot above the regen force gets to around 0.15g, which is about 1/2 of what it should get to below 30 km/h (should get to around 0.25g from my previous tests)...but then after a second or two the car senses the slipping and lets off the regen and the force dropped off to about 5x less than 'normal' regen and measured around 0.05g.

Oh, and before someone suggests that what I measured above was the car slipping on the snow and nothing to do with the regen, do note that initially the car did slow down fairly quickly, so the tires were gripping the ground. It was the traction control kicking in that caused the force to lessen, not grip on the ground. If I used brakes I still had plenty of grip with the car on the section of road I tested on.

Just to drive that last point home, here is another data set where I took my foot off the accelerator (blue arrow), and after the regen dropped to zero I used the brakes to see if the tires were slipping or not (that the 3 dips indicated by red arrows after the initial regen induced one). You can see quite clearly I was able to use brakes to stop the car. The first two times I tapped the brakes I let up a bit to see if regen would hold at that force and it didn't, then I hit the brakes a bit harder and you can see I was able to grip quite well. Then I hit the accelerator a bit to confirm I could grip the ground.

upload_2018-11-15_22-24-16.png

Again, this leads me to conclude the issue is that the traction control feedback is too sensitive for this use case. There may be other reasons why Tesla doesn't want to change it, but as I've said before: my wifes bolt and my 2 previous volts never did anything like this with regen and winter tires, and I never had any stability issues driving in the winter with those cars.

Last edited:
I haven't posted the steps to report his issue to Tesla in a few pages, and we need to keep the complaints flowing! If you're having the regen issue and haven't reported it to Tesla yet, be sure to do so with the steps below.

1. Sign into Tesla.com
2. Click the Manage button under your Model 3 VIN
3. Click Ask a Question
4. Fill out the form, and be sure to select the “Escalate this concern for executive review” option
5. Submit the form

Interestingly enough, my mom has a TM3 RWD with the standard all-season tires and no Regen loss, even in yesterday's snowier/slushier conditions. She's getting her tires put on today (WRG4s).

I had the same experience driving in the snow yesterday. The car didn't reduce regen in slippery conditions quickly enough to keep the back end from being unstable. I had to manually set regen to low. I'll be installing my winter tires this weekend and dealing with the regen issue since the car was not good in snow with the all-seasons.

So, to recap, on dry pavement with snow tires regen is disabled. On snow-covered slippery pavement with all-season tires regen is not disabled. Seems like the traction control system needs work!

I’m on 42.4 (RWD Model 3) and my regen is weak. Seemed to happen after the car noticed I had different wheels on it and asked for the wheel size.

On a certain road going home I never had to use the brakes previously. Now I use significant brake effort to slow down to make the turn. This is after a 2 hour drive coming home and the car/battery fully warmed up.

It’s just such an odd thing to happen considering I’m on 18” Aero wheels and Tesla tpms (Hakka R3 tires).