Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just for another data point - I've been driving for a few weeks now with Nokian Hakka R3's on factory 18" aero wheels and sensors and I have NOT noticed this happening to me. Full regen is available at all speeds (except for when the temperature is actually colder and the car itself is cold, in which case I'll have a few dots to the left of the battery meter showing limited regen, although it's not even enough to really notice).

The temperature here has varied from 5C up to ~20C. AWD.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Just for another data point - I've been driving for a few weeks now with Nokian Hakka R3's on factory 18" aero wheels and sensors and I have NOT noticed this happening to me. Full regen is available at all speeds (except for when the temperature is actually colder and the car itself is cold, in which case I'll have a few dots to the left of the battery meter showing limited regen, although it's not even enough to really notice).

This puts the onus on the rims (weight). Very confused at the moment.

So there’s an awd without the issue.

Model 3, just got Nokian Hakkapalitas installed on our aero rims and I immediately noticed Regen issues. I can't one pedal drive. It was about 7C in the GTA today. Looks like it will improve when it gets cooler?

Regen not be impacted with snow tires. I just installed Nokian WRG4 on the stock aero rims, and after approx. 350 km, there is no range or regen difference. I'm on software version 40.1.
How about checking the car's settings and make sure the Regen is not knocked out of Standard?

Reactions: jsmay311
Regen not be impacted with snow tires. I just installed Nokian WRG4 on the stock aero rims, and after approx. 350 km, there is no range or regen difference. I'm on software version 40.1.
How about checking the car's settings and make sure the Regen is not knocked out of Standard?
First thing I checked. You didn’t find the Cadbury secret I’m afraid.

Do you have RWD or AWD? 40.1 gives me hope it’s a software issue.

Reactions: navguy12
Got Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s installed on my 18" Aero wheels a few weeks back. I noticed the limited regen right away and thought it odd, but attributed it to the cold weather limited regen at first. Then we had a day that was +18C and still limited/no regen so I started paying more attention. I did a reset of the computer, tried turning regen from std to low and back again; nothing helped. I also started to notice that at slow speeds the regen seemed normal but at normal in-town and highway speeds no regen. I was thinking of asking if anyone else has noticed this behaviour, so thanks for starting this thread. Sounds like my car's behaviour is exactly the same as yours.

Since I got my tires swapped at Kal Tire and I'm using my original rims and TPMS sensors, I find it strange that the car knows I've got winter tires on. I could see Tesla programming for limited regen when roads are possibly poor, but why at +18C? And it strikes me as *really* odd that someone who has winter tires gets limited regen, but someone on the same roads in the same conditions, but with all-season (or even performance!) tires would still have regular regen. They'd be the ones far more likely to lose traction from stronger regen. Odd programming decisions. I guess that's what you get when you have Californians coding software for cars in a Canadian winter.

I have done exactly the same. Swapped R3s at Kaltire Vaughan this past Saturday on stock 18" aeros. Noticed no regen, reset, changed the regen settings. Same experience.

Winter tires are EXTREMELY soft are warmer temperatures, you can bend the rubber with your thumb. The softness of the tires in warm temp are tricking the car to think it's slipping.. once temps get colder the rubber will stiffen up and that will go away.. the reason Regen is coming back at 30mph is there is less force on the tires causing less imposed slippage..

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush and Anto
Winter tires are EXTREMELY soft are warmer temperatures, you can bend the rubber with your thumb. The softness of the tires in warm temp are tricking the car to think it's slipping.. once temps get colder the rubber will stiffen up and that will go away.. the reason Regen is coming back at 30mph is there is less force on the tires causing less imposed slippage..
Not that at all. Most of the days I've had my R3 tires on it's been a handful of degrees below or above freezing. I've driven on both snowy roads and dry roads so that's not a factor either. Still have the issue. Also present on days where it's been warm, around room temperature. Also, regen returns below about 30 kph, not mph. That's about 18 mph.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
My ReGen Brake never felt the same after V9 update. I haven't put Winter tires on yet. Whatever you guys with Winter tire reporting here I have been experiencing since V9. Still curios to know that its related to climate change or a possible bug in V9.

Not that at all. Most of the days I've had my R3 tires on it's been a handful of degrees below or above freezing. I've driven on both snowy roads and dry roads so that's not a factor either. Still have the issue. Also present on days where it's been warm, around room temperature. Also, regen returns below about 30 kph, not mph. That's about 18 mph.
I was going to say it’s been quite cool in the gta the past week or so. Easily at or below freezing at times. Also this seems to be a model 3 issue. Not a Tesla issue. I’d assume if it was the tire compound being too soft, those same tires on an S or X would eliminate regen also. I agree it’s something with the tire that is tricking the car into thinking there is regen when there isn’t.

I think it’s obvious Tesla doesn’t know about it. They’d have an onscreen warning for it if they did just like they do when it’s absent for other known reasons.

Someone leaving a tire shop oblivious to his or her coasting machine will have an accident and they’ll investigate. I assume the telemetry Tesla gets will show no warnings, accelerator lift and no deceleration. Well, not until they hit the brake manually. Which may be too late. Model 3 braking distance just went back up it seems.