Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 RWD has been showing the dots for regen last few days. I'm still on the stock tires/rims. I dont think it has anything to do with changing to winters.
Then you haven’t read closely enough. It may very well not be the tires but there is something going on during the tire changeovers
It took a good 100km until they configured on my winters. But the car will detect them if they're set to 433MHz

And the issue persisted even after the TPMS reset? Is that correct?

Then you haven’t read closely enough. It may very well not be the tires but there is something going on during the tire changeovers

But he hasn’t changed over his tires. If he has the same problem the rest of you are having and has not done a thing to his car surely is software/seasonal/temperature related or it’s just a coincidence (I don’t buy that).

I saw that. I should have asked if anyone with RWD had it.

I agree there is some thought that the tpms cloning could be the issue here so I’m wondering how many with the issue got the tpms reset after driving for a bit.

I have RWD, and my car almost immediately sensed I had new tires, so a screen came up saying "hey you have new tires, are they 18", 19", or 20"?"

I've a feeling this is something to do with the weight of the winter tires, and maybe if we tell the car they're 20" all will be good again. We'd need the techs to push that setting again tho,

But he hasn’t changed over his tires. If he has the same problem the rest of you are having and has not done a thing to his car surely is software/seasonal/temperature related or it’s just a coincidence (I don’t buy that).
Yes but he’s displaying dots on the energy line. That means the battery is either cold or at a state of charge that’s too high and regen is limited obviously. We all deal with that.

We’re talking about when those issue aren’t present and the regen is limited. It’s happening when people switch to winters.

@Darthbenji Good point, maybe if people state if they have winter/summer tires, State of charge and ambient temperature and deviation from initial rolling radius you may get some meaningful data. You may find it takes some time to adjust. Early Tesla’s didn’t even like a different brand of the same size due to discrepancies in rolling radius despite them being as grippy as originals. You can at lest work out if it’s an algorithm. I don’t suppose any one has a CAN bus reader hooked into their car?

@Darthbenji Good point, maybe if people state if they have winter/summer tires, State of charge and ambient temperature and deviation from initial rolling radius you may get some meaningful data. You may find it takes some time to adjust. Early Tesla’s didn’t even like a different brand of the same size due to discrepancies in rolling radius despite them being as grippy as originals. You can at lest work out if it’s an algorithm. I don’t suppose any one has a CAN bus reader hooked into their car?
Actually that’s why in my original post my first paragraph addressed temp and state of charge. I assumed, incorrectly as it turns out, that posts about the issue would be limited to those that had also ruled out those known causes of low regen. So yes, your idea of indicating onscreen warnings being absent is a good one. Then we know posters have actually read and understood the issue.

Reactions: navguy12

Which is exactly what I did. As far as I'm concerned there is no software issue or change in tire grip issue. And I think it's a lot of new folks that don't understand the full system and all the conditions of regen. All I think of is, in some cases it's not tripping the TPMS / Tire Size prompt. My car showed "psi: --" until the reset prompt came up.

Some folks are saying they see the dots. Well most folks know that means the car knows your battery is cold. And it also doesn't mean no Regen. It means reduced regen. And it's reduced based on how many dots you see. More dots more reduced.

One other thing folks should probably report is, when they did change to Winter Tires did they also change tire size.

So I should report my status here with that added info.

Here is a suggested Template.

TPMS Type (Winter): Tirerack (Continental 433hz)
TPMS Reset Prompt: Yes, I think it was 2 prompts, one for TPMS Reset (Yes/No) and one for Tire Size immediately after.
TPMS Pressure Status: Blank ("psi: --") until TPMS Reset, off by 1 pound after Reset.
Delivered Tire Size: 18" Aero
Winter Tire Size: 18" Aero
Winter Tire Type: Xi3
Model: P3D-
Temperature: Full Warm up (NO DOTS)
Regen Status: Working at all speeds.

Out of curiosity, has anyone that’s swapped to winters had the sensor reset screen come up after driving a bit?

I effectively don't have TPMS on my winter tires right now and still have the issue. My universal TPMS were not programmed before i installed. Need to get that fix, but i don't think TPMS is the issue. Also, i drove my car long enough today that the regen dotted lines were no longer there. Still no regen at higher speeds.

Which is exactly what I did. As far as I'm concerned there is no software issue or change in tire grip issue. And I think it's a lot of new folks that don't understand the full system and all the conditions of regen. All I think of is, in some cases it's not tripping the TPMS / Tire Size prompt. My car showed "psi: --" until the reset prompt came up.

Some folks are saying they see the dots. Well most folks know that means the car knows your battery is cold. And it also doesn't mean no Regen. It means reduced regen. And it's reduced based on how many dots you see. More dots more reduced.

One other thing folks should probably report is, when they did change to Winter Tires did they also change tire size.

TPMS Reset Prompt: Yes, I think it was 2 prompts, one for TPMS Reset (Yes/No) and one for Tire Size immediately after.
TPMS Pressure Status: Blank ("psi: --") until TPMS Reset, off by 1 pound after Reset.

TPMS Type (Winter): Autel MX Sensor
TPMS Reset Prompt: No. i need to reprogram them so they get an ID.
TPMS Pressure Status: Blank
Winter Tire Size: 18" Custom
Winter Tire Type: Continental Wintercontact SI
Model: RWD-
Temperature: Full Warm up (i.e. i have NO DOTS)
Regen Status: Working on 30km or less only

I'd appreciate if someone could post an image of the dots, never noticed them before.

Also, just heard back from service, said engineering is aware of the issue and will be reaching out to ppl once they have a resolution. So very similar to what the other guy said earlier.

Sucks having no regen tho. I've really noticed it increasing my power usage. :/

upload_2018-10-26_12-54-4.png

Reactions: navguy12 and Buggle

You may also want to add what the TPMS is set to?

TPMS Type (Winter): Kal Tire (Unknown Brand 433hz)
TPMS Reset Prompt: Yes, I think it was 1 prompt, one for TPMS Reset.
TPMS Pressure Status: Blank ("psi: --") until TPMS Reset, off by 2 pound until I refilled it to 42PSI cold.
Winter Tire Size: 18" ION Aftermarket Rims
Winter Tire Type: Nokian R3's
Model: LR.RWD
Winter Regen Status: Not aggressive until under 40km/h.

Update on my earlier post this week (with recap):

1. Swapped stock Michelin Primacy all-season tires on the car over to Nokian WRG4 all-weather tires, on original 18" aero rims. This was done at KalTire, where the technician set pressures at 42 PSI all around. Outside temperature: 5 deg. C (45 deg. F).

2. When I started the car to leave the tire shop, no TPMS related message appeared on-screen, and tire pressure readings came up automatically within just the drive around the block, with the screen displaying 41 PSI for each tire.

3. I have experienced NO loss of power regeneration, with the same amount of deceleration as before the tire change (I'm on version 40.1). It has been around 7 deg. C here all week long.

Notes:
I supplied the tire shop with my set of four ReverseLogic Model 3 Jack Pads to hoist the car up on all four wheels at once. It took them 90 minutes for mounting and balancing before I got the car back. The final result was a great job done, and no issues with any driving dynamics, now over 600 km later. Regarding the Nokians, my wife feels that the WRG4 tires are somewhat quieter and subjectively better "feeling" than the Primacy originals, and we both agree there is less understeer now on our RWD Model 3. Had a short drive in rain too, and the grip and predictability remained as great as ever in the Model 3.

Winter Regen Status: Not aggressive until under 40km/h.

I'm still on my factory 18" aero + primacy and have noticed less regen due to colder weather (with dots). I'm not dismissing this issue at all, but wanted to note regen is always stronger at lower speeds until you slow down to creep/near stop.

From a technical perspective it makes sense if the power (rate of energy) regenerated is capped to a certain limit. Since kinetic energy is to the square of velocity, you need to decelerate less to regenerate the same energy at a higher speed. If my napkin math is correct, slowing from 80km/h->75km/h yields more kinetic energy than from 40km/h->29km/h. So to the people inside the car, the deceleration/g-force will in fact be more than twice as much at 80km/h vs 40km/h.

Obviously, the overall regen rate could be much lower than before with this issue but it feeling stronger at lower speeds should be expected.

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I'm still on my factory 18" aero + primacy and have noticed less regen due to colder weather (with dots). I'm not dismissing this issue at all, but wanted to note regen is always stronger at lower speeds until you slow down to creep/near stop.

From a technical perspective it makes sense if the power (rate of energy) regenerated is capped to a certain limit. Since kinetic energy is to the square of velocity, you need to decelerate less to regenerate the same energy at a higher speed. If my napkin math is correct, slowing from 80km/h->75km/h yields more kinetic energy than from 40km/h->29km/h. So to the people inside the car, the deceleration/g-force will in fact be more than twice as much at 80km/h vs 40km/h.

Obviously, the overall regen rate could be much lower than before with this issue but it feeling stronger at lower speeds should be expected.

This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I was gonna say the same thing.

Even with NO dots, Regen is less aggressive at high speeds.

We need to not mix things. The complaint here is NO Regen above some speed.
Any limited Regen is probably normal (for non functioning TPMS or Temperature) and is indicated (with dots).

If you don't have fully working TPMS Regen will probably have issues.
Reduced Regen is Normal until it's fully warmed up and that can take a long time depending how cold it is.

The Regen even on stock setup is tapered. As you go slower and slower it gets more aggressive.
If it was too aggressive at highway speeds I think it would be dangerous.
Like if you cancel cruise and your foots not on the accelerator and someone is on your butt you don't want it to slow down too aggressively.

Reactions: eepic
This has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I disagree, someone was describing less aggressive regen at higher speeds.

I'm offering some possible clarification so that everyone has as much understanding as possible regarding what the system should/shouldn't be doing. That way we can better help isolate the cause of the actual issue.