Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry I don't understand?

I don't understand it fully myself either, so can't explain very well. here's my best effort --- my sensors were giving low pressure warnings with any weather below 10C. The false readings decreased with the temperature. They became so low the car deactivated my regen braking, and it wouldn't kick back in till the tires warmed up and the false readings went away. I took it into service and he asked me what my TPMS sensors were set to. I said I dunno, factory default. He said "ok, I'll set them to 45PSI, will make the false warnings go away". I said ok, and that was the end of it. So you can set the TMPS to go off at a certain PSI reading (or something?).

This issue is unrelated to the winter tire issue.

I don't understand it fully myself either, so can't explain very well. here's my best effort --- my sensors were giving low pressure warnings with any weather below 10C. The false readings decreased with the temperature. They became so low the car deactivated my regen braking, and it wouldn't kick back in till the tires warmed up and the false readings went away. I took it into service and he asked me what my TPMS sensors were set to. I said I dunno, factory default. He said "ok, I'll set them to 45PSI, will make the false warnings go away". I said ok, and that was the end of it. So you can set the TMPS to go off at a certain PSI reading (or something?).

This issue is unrelated to the winter tire issue.

Thanks for clarifying.

I think I more or less covered all the variables.

But to be more explicit, my TPMS has never been "set" to anything by a service person or me.

I put new Sensors on (from Tirerack Continental 433hz). I was extremely careful in my selection, knowing there was a history of TPMS issues and Tesla. I was royally pissed when I purchased my "Factory Take Offs" and I missed noticing in the "fine print" that they removed TPMS. Even though the pictures showed them clearly present.

Anyway I saw used OEM TPMS on Ebay but then I saw the Tirerack ones for a very good price and they looked identical.
So I went with those. They were automatically recognized, no programming nothing. The message popped up, asking me to "Reset TPMS" and choose tire size. Since then they have read correctly (1 lb off). I have not had them long, so we'll see how they do when temperatures dip.

My guess is, what might be happening is different TPMS may have a different "curve" to them. So when you do a "single point calibration" (which is my guess is what Tesla is doing when they say, "I'll set them to 45lbs") you'll be only correct in and around that pressure. As Temps and/or readings change other TPMS sensors might have a different curve (e.g. slope). So when they drop to say 40 lbs they read 0.5V but the OEM reads 0.7V. Tesla might also have a temperature compensation curve. I'd be curious if other manufactures have to identify tire size.

If I were you, what I would do, and I might as well too, is lower the pressure on one tire to say 30lbs with a manual gauge and see if the TPMS reads similar. If you don't, my guess is, your TPMS is not compatible.

Someone on another board posted he has the issue with the OEM sensors and wheels. Just swapped tires to the R3s. So that means to me anyway, it’s not the rims or the sensors.

Link please

I googled for the problem on other forums and I came up with you creating the same thread.

I didn’t read the whole thing but it looks like you cloned them. That might confuse the car.

This whole thing seems blown out of proportion.

Normal tapering of regen
Cold temps affect on regen
Improperly behaving TPMS and it’s affects on regen.

I can’t find anyone that just swapped tires.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: navguy12 and bpjod
Link please

I googled for the problem on other forums and I came up with you creating the same thread.

I didn’t read the whole thing but it looks like you cloned them. That might confuse the car.

This whole thing seems blown out of proportion.

Normal tapering of regen
Cold temps affect on regen
Improperly behaving TPMS and it’s affects on regen.

I can’t find anyone that just swapped tires.

You just said you didn’t read the whole thing so why would expect to find someone then?

Yes I started the other thread. I wanted to reach and survey as many as possible. Users there aren’t necessarily users here. I haven’t changed mine out yet. I’m going tomorrow. The one I’ve been referring to belongs to a buddy. I expect it’ll be me tomorrow about 2pm:)

Here’s the link to the guy that just swapped tires. SuperDaveMaine. Post 35

Reactions: navguy12
Someone on another board posted he has the issue with the OEM sensors and wheels. Just swapped tires to the R3s. So that means to me anyway, it’s not the rims or the sensors.

Just came upon this thread. I have experienced this problem just this past weekend with my stock 18" aeros and rubber. LR RWD. I don't drive on the highway often but it was just yesterday. I would guess about 10 C outside. Thought it was a bit odd but thought this was how the regen worked when it got cold.. I do get a warning when its cold in the morning that there is limited regen.

My M3 RWD has been showing the dots for regen last few days. I'm still on the stock tires/rims. I dont think it has anything to do with changing to winters.

I noticed this as well today. Almost 1 /3 of my regen was unavailable during my 25 minute (non-highway) commute in the morning and afternoon. I'm still on my 19" Sports rims. The temperature this morning was approximately 5 C, however in the afternoon, it was hovering around 11 C.

Please read the title of the thread as well as the first post before posting. The last two posts are referring to the known loss of regen due to temperature and not as a result of changing to winter tires.

We all lose regen when the battery is cold. I too when I left my office today was limited. It sat outside all day in 8 Celsius. It was expected.

I noticed this as well today. Almost 1 /3 of my regen was unavailable during my 25 minute (non-highway) commute in the morning and afternoon. I'm still on my 19" Sports rims. The temperature this morning was approximately 5 C, however in the afternoon, it was hovering around 11 C.

Working EXACTLY like it’s supposed to.

Regen shuts down when the battery is cold.

I just drove 35 miles with it 40F and it took that long for full regen. And I expect when it’s 0F it may never warm up enough to start regen. That’s what you all bought.

Read the F manual. F stands for Fine. ;)

75% of these posts appear to be folks not knowing how their car work.
20% don’t have TPMS working 100% (for various reasons)

Maybe 5% (1-2) people have a real issue, with no proof the problem is a “winter tire”.

And another couple that say they have an issue without describing all the details.

You just said you didn’t read the whole thing so why would expect to find someone then?

Yes I started the other thread. I wanted to reach and survey as many as possible. Users there aren’t necessarily users here. I haven’t changed mine out yet. I’m going tomorrow. The one I’ve been referring to belongs to a buddy. I expect it’ll be me tomorrow about 2pm:)

Here’s the link to the guy that just swapped tires. SuperDaveMaine. Post 35

He says he has LOW regen at high speeds. Not no regen. Then later in same post said he had almost no regen at low speed.

This is deep down in your thread. You started the thread on both sites and appear to have not even mounted snows yet?

I heard Tesla charged $200 each for TPMS, maybe that’s a wild rumor too. So I got what I believe is equipment from TireRack.

My lifetime is 239 wh/mi at 1400 miles. I expect that will gradually get worse as it gets colder.

I just did 120 miles. First 35 miles was low on regen because it was 40F out. By the end it was 32F. With snow tires and heat on I got 260 wh/mi P3D- If I had a warmed battery before I started I’d probably be 250 wh/mi on the trip. It’s all running fine.

I thought I noticed BEFORE Winter tires and No dots. That high speed regen seemed lighter (V9?) I don’t want to start another rumor. But I assumed it’s that I’m just getting better at one foot driving and my wh/mi have been great. So I didn’t think much about it.

But it feels no different after putting the snows on.

I certainly believe if TPMS is not 100% it will cause issues.

• Disagree
Reactions: thesteve
Working EXACTLY like it’s supposed to.

Regen shuts down when the battery is cold.

I just drove 35 miles with it 40F and it took that long for full regen. And I expect when it’s 0F it may never warm up enough to start regen. That’s what you all bought.

Read the F manual. F stands for Fine. ;)

75% of these posts appear to be folks not knowing how their car work.
20% don’t have TPMS working 100% (for various reasons)

Maybe 5% (1-2) people have a real issue, with no proof the problem is a “winter tire”.

And another couple that say they have an issue without describing all the details.

I entered the tire place. Regen worked. I left an hour later, it didn't, and hasn't since. What's not clear about that?

The problem here is ppl are posting all kinds of random stuff not related to the issue at hand.

I entered the tire place. Regen worked. I left an hour later, it didn't, and hasn't since. What's not clear about that?

The problem here is ppl are posting all kinds of random stuff not related to the issue at hand.

I agree people are entering unrelated problems.

And maybe you said earlier the other details. But working when entered and not when exit means nothing without the rest of the details.

What is the status of your TPMS sensors when you left?

Or are you on the same wheels and TPMS sensors?

He says he has LOW regen at high speeds. Not no regen. Then later in same post said he had almost no regen at low speed.

This is deep down in your thread. You started the thread on both sites and appear to have not even mounted snows yet?

I heard Tesla charged $200 each for TPMS, maybe that’s a wild rumor too. So I got what I believe is equipment from TireRack.

My lifetime is 239 wh/mi at 1400 miles. I expect that will gradually get worse as it gets colder.

I just did 120 miles. First 35 miles was low on regen because it was 40F out. By the end it was 32F. With snow tires and heat on I got 260 wh/mi P3D- If I had a warmed battery before I started I’d probably be 250 wh/mi on the trip. It’s all running fine.

I thought I noticed BEFORE Winter tires and No dots. That high speed regen seemed lighter (V9?) I don’t want to start another rumor. But I assumed it’s that I’m just getting better at one foot driving and my wh/mi have been great. So I didn’t think much about it.

But it feels no different after putting the snows on.

I certainly believe if TPMS is not 100% it will cause issues.

I’m putting mine on tomorrow. I’m going to charge for a good hour before I leave to ensure no dots and no warnings. I’m going to make sure my TPMS is reading correctly also. I’m even going to check my air pressure prior to leaving. I’ll boost it a bit if they’re below 42. Then I’m going to drive an hour to the shop and enjoy normal regen. When I leave the shop I’ll check that the TPMS is working as it should be. I’m going to put the winters on my OEM rims even though I’m buying replikas. I’ll use them for the summer now instead. I fully expect to leave with normal regen and I’ll bet you $20 I don’t have it. I’m on version 9 and have been for over a week. I’ve noticed zero difference in the regen with it.

I was alerted to the issue by my buddy that got his winters put on a week ago. We’ve been trouble shooting since. We aren’t uninformed. We know what should affect regen. We know the warnings too. We also know the difference between lifting and having regen and lifting and coasting. We can deduce, like others, that the only thing that’s changed is tires. I’m not sure why you deny it’s a real issue for RWDs. Even the techs get it and are looking into it. I’ll take their opinion over yours. I mean really, if he had his roof done and he told me it leaks, I can’t complain about a leak in it even though I’m watching water drip on his hardwood? I have to get my roof done first with the same shingles before I say ‘hey I’m getting timberlines installed and my buddy just did and he’s got a leak, anyone else?’

With all that being said, I may have misread your tone. Your 3 isn’t doing this. I get it. Yours is also AWD and no one apart from RWD have said they have this going on.

Anyway, I appreciate the input form those in in a similar situation. We all just want our cars to work as they should. Maybe it is a TPMS issue. Tell me what status you’d like me to check for and I will.

Last edited:
I’m putting mine on tomorrow. I’m going to charge for a good hour before I leave to ensure no dots and no warnings. I’m going to make sure my TPMS is reading correctly also. I’m even going to check my air pressure prior to leaving. I’ll boost it a bit if they’re below 42. Then I’m going to drive an hour to the shop and enjoy normal regen. When I leave the shop I’ll check that the TPMS is working as it should be. I’m going to put the winters on my OEM rims even though I’m buying replikas. I’ll use them for the summer now instead. I fully expect to leave with normal regen and I’ll bet you $20 I don’t have it. I’m on version 9 and have been for over a week. I’ve noticed zero difference in the regen with it.

I was alerted to the issue by my buddy that got his winters put on a week ago. We’ve been trouble shooting since. We aren’t uninformed. We know what should affect regen. We know the warnings too. We also know the difference between lifting and having regen and lifting and coasting. We can deduce, like others, that the only thing that’s changed is tires. I’m not sure why you deny it’s a real issue for RWDs. Even the techs get it and are looking into it. I’ll take their opinion over yours. I mean really, if he had his roof done and he told me it leaks, I can’t complain about a leak in it even though I’m watching water drip on his hardwood? I have to get my roof done first with the same shingles before I say ‘hey I’m getting timberlines installed and my buddy just did and he’s got a leak, anyone else?’

With all that being said, I may have misread your tone. Your 3 isn’t doing this. I get it. Yours is also AWD and no one apart from RWD have said they have this going on.

Anyway, I appreciate the input form those in in a similar situation. We all just want our cars to work as they should. Maybe it is a TPMS issue. Tell me what status you’d like me to check for and I will.

Sounds like a plan.

Your posts imply many others have this issue and I just don’t see it. There have been to many others that have posted regen issues for other reasons. And that has obscured the issue.

I admit I have not read every post on every forum on the issue. But every time I have looked it’s been either uneducated new owner, TPMS, or lack of information. But it seems a bit overblown.

Let us know how it goes. And I wish you luck.

Sounds like a plan.

Your posts imply many others have this issue and I just don’t see it. There have been to many others that have posted regen issues for other reasons. And that has obscured the issue.

I admit I have not read every post on every forum on the issue. But every time I have looked it’s been either uneducated new owner, TPMS, or lack of information. But it seems a bit overblown.

Let us know how it goes. And I wish you luck.

Go to another thread your posts are useless and mucking up the thread. You do not have RWD which is where the issue lies. Blaming tpms and uneducation and your mother on all the people who have the issue is not acceptable. I’ve had many cars I am highly technical and I know all the differences between loss of regen due to cold vs this issue.

There is definitely an issue I had my tires changed on a mild day with same tpms from original and original rims no changes except the tires and felt the loss of regen instantly when I got the car back. There’s nothing else it’s not cold its definitely warmed up and suddenly can’t one pedal drive.

Switched to winter tires on the Aeros yesterday. Car was driven 20 mins then in a heated shop for two hours while they did the tires. I definitely noticed much reduced regen on the drive home. Even with the “gas” pedal unpressed completely, the green bar was less than a quarter of an inch in size at around 80 km/h. Not normal in my experience.

A bit reluctant to get in the middle of the shouting here but thought I’d share my experience. I’ll update if anything changes.