Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thought I’d give an update. I noticed today I’m getting a little more regen than before not as good as oem tires but better than before. Still on 39.7 version. It was a little colder today. I’m thinking they will get better as it gets colder and the compound is not as soft. So must be something to do with the compound causing some slippage tricking the car not to regen.

I think your right. I too had a bit better Regen than i did yesterday. However no where near the stock oem tires.

Once again it’s the posters issue he only swapped tires and regen is gone at higher speeds. My car had no problems regen even when psi was low or high before this issue. Stop blaming people you add nothing to this thread except redirect. Numerous people have confirmed the issue on RWD

Once again you don’t know when someone is trying to help someone. I gave a suggestion to put his pressure back where was before he went in. And I explained why.

Glad to hear your car is self healing too.

Maybe the car is recalibrating to those tires.

Don’t be such a D.

• Disagree
Reactions: Harrta
Thought I’d give an update. I noticed today I’m getting a little more regen than before not as good as oem tires but better than before. Still on 39.7 version. It was a little colder today. I’m thinking they will get better as it gets colder and the compound is not as soft. So must be something to do with the compound causing some slippage tricking the car not to regen.

I'm exact same. It's *slightly* better today, but not much. Same 39.7. I'm thinking their engineers maybe did something overnight?

Once again you don’t know when someone is trying to help someone. I gave a suggestion to put his pressure back where was before he went in. And I explained why.

Glad to hear your car is self healing too.

Maybe the car is recalibrating to those tires.

Don’t be such a D.
I’ll let it sit overnight and then check the cold tire temp and then go add to them. I too want as close to a replication as possible.

I’ll also agree that tonight it seemed better than earlier today with a light lift instead of a full one. It was also near 0 Celsius tonight vs this afternoon and if there’s something to what the tech thought it was (soft sticky tires) that might be why also. Having said that, I’m not sure it’s not just me adjusting. I know certain areas where I can floor it, lift and make the next corner easily without manually braking. Even tonight I couldn’t so if it is better it’s not how it was.

Last edited:
I'm also having this exact issue, no limited regen bars, but definitely NO regen right down to 30kph before it kicks in normally. Running on 18" Aero rims with Toyo GSI-6 tires. Just swapped today, temperatures was about +2C to +5C. Thought this was odd as well, I really hope there's a fix for it soon!

I installed new snow tires on OEM 18" this morning. I do have limited regen driving back from OK Tires. It was pretty warm outside today (16 degree). I'll try to monitor it for next couple of days.

TPMS Type (Winter): OEM
TPMS Reset Prompt: No
TPMS Pressure Status: 44 psi
Delivered Tire Size: 18" Aero
Winter Tire Size: 18" Aero
Winter Tire Type: Conti WinterContact SI
Model: 3 RWD LR
Temperature: Full Warm up (NO DOTS)
Regen Status: Limited Regen

I installed new snow tires on OEM 18" this morning. I do have limited regen driving back from OK Tires. It was pretty warm outside today (16 degree). I'll try to monitor it for next couple of days.

TPMS Type (Winter): OEM
TPMS Reset Prompt: No
TPMS Pressure Status: 44 psi
Winter Tire Size: 18" Aero
Winter Tire Type: Conti WinterContact SI
Temperature: Full Warm up (NO DOTS)

Is that the only winter tire they sell up there.

After putting on new rims and tires for about 2-3 weeks can confirm that I’m experiencing the same thing.

- replika 18”
- new tpms and calibrated
- Michelin x-ice

Even after warming up, driving for 30 mins and no dots still get much less Regen then before. Starts around 30km/h.

TPMS Type (Winter): 433 MHz from tirerack - not cloned
TPMS Reset Prompt: Yes
TPMS Pressure Status: 42 psi
Winter Tire Size: 18"
Winter Tire Type: XIce3
Temperature: about 50F

I was seeing some odd behavior of the limited regen dots. When I was just driving there were no dots, but then if I would accelerate or lift, i'd sorta see the regen dots flicker and then go away. Very odd, I wish I took a video of it. Either way, i'm seeing similar behavior to everyone else. Nearly no regen down to about 20mph, at which point it kicks back in. I hope they fix this in the next update.

TPMS Type (Winter): 433 MHz from tirerack - not cloned
TPMS Reset Prompt: Yes
TPMS Pressure Status: 42 psi
Winter Tire Size: 18"
Winter Tire Type: XIce3
Temperature: about 50F

I was seeing some odd behavior of the limited regen dots. When I was just driving there were no dots, but then if I would accelerate or lift, i'd sorta see the regen dots flicker and then go away. Very odd, I wish I took a video of it. Either way, i'm seeing similar behavior to everyone else. Nearly no regen down to about 20mph, at which point it kicks back in. I hope they fix this in the next update.

I’ve found the flickering dots is right about the time they’re about to disappear because your battery is warmed up. Just my experience anyway.

Has anyone who's driven a few hundred miles on their new snow tires still experiencing this? I ask because new tires, even snow tires, have a break-in period where you're wearing off the slippery release compound (see https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-driving-fun-2/winter-tire-break-in-v1.

If you're using the same wheels and TPMS sensors, the vehicle has no clue you've changed anything except from its behavior on the road. Roadster V2 & V2.5 have a tire replacement "learn" function that enables the car to recalibrate to the new tire, which might have a different diameter than the tire it's replacing (see No regen after tire replacement if you're interested).

If traction overall is poor, then regen on RWD cars may cause the rear tires to slip slightly, but since the fronts don't have regen, those wouldn't slip. The resulting difference in tire rotation would be perceived by the vehicle and could be causing the car to reduce regen, just as Traction Control can reduce power under acceleration. With the release compound still on the new tires, that could cause enough additional slip to make regen reduce in situations that a broken-in All Season tire wouldn't.

Has anyone who's driven a few hundred miles on their new snow tires still experiencing this? I ask because new tires, even snow tires, have a break-in period where you're wearing off the slippery release compound (see https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/make-driving-fun-2/winter-tire-break-in-v1.

If you're using the same wheels and TPMS sensors, the vehicle has no clue you've changed anything except from its behavior on the road. Roadster V2 & V2.5 have a tire replacement "learn" function that enables the car to recalibrate to the new tire, which might have a different diameter than the tire it's replacing (see No regen after tire replacement if you're interested).

If traction overall is poor, then regen on RWD cars may cause the rear tires to slip slightly, but since the fronts don't have regen, those wouldn't slip. The resulting difference in tire rotation would be perceived by the vehicle and could be causing the car to reduce regen, just as Traction Control can reduce power under acceleration. With the release compound still on the new tires, that could cause enough additional slip to make regen reduce in situations that a broken-in All Season tire wouldn't.

The M3 is aware when you change tires. A setting popped up after I got mine saying "A new set of tires has been detected. Are they: 18", 19", 20"?"

Had my first commute today. Charged before leaving to 80%.
Regen still pretty much non existent above 30km/h. I did some practice lifts around 90-100 km/h and the brake lights don’t come which makes sense since the car coasts. It was 3-4 Celsius for my drive.

I do hope this gets sorted quickly.

Reactions: navguy12

I've driven about 1000 Km since changing my tires and there has been no change. Still feels like it's definitely not regen-ing enough. Only at about 30Km/h

• Informative
Reactions: Darthbenji