Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hope this is true, it really sounds like a kick the can down the road sort of reply.

I talked with the service manager in Mississauga this morning, and he told me they're aware of the problem, don't have a solution, and are collecting tire information to pass up the chain.
Absolutely agree on the kick it down the road theory. My hope is that when it actually get cold, as in below 0c, the tires firm up and bring back regen.

I have my winters on since OCT 18th and have driven over 1000km. The regen got a little better with V9 but still not the same as the stock OEM tires/rims.
I’m at about 300km. I had v9 prior to my swap so for me anyway, it was night and day once I put the winters on. As I documented on my drive to the tire shop, I had full regen.

I also agree that the issue will grow exponentially as more and more people put theirs on. Most aren’t aware and will think they can drive normally. Once someone rear ends someone maybe Tesla will warn people. I can’t believe they haven’t sent out an advisory.

Not that it’ll help but I tweeted this thread to Elon. I’m sure he gets so many he’ll not see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
If this is all true I wonder why it seems to impact RWD but not AWD.

For all I know it does impact AWD too but perhaps not so blatantly.

BTW, I put my All season OEM 18” back on because it was a tad early for snow tires. I just wanted to test the snows. I probably put 300 miles on them. TPMS Reset did not pop back up. But what’s odd is the TPMS used to be off by 1 lb on every wheel, consistently. Now they are dead on, on every wheel.

Note also the message from “founder” says any tire swap, not just snows.

Probably with all the reduced cold weather regen. Maybe the relearn takes longer.

If it's true that the M3 will only work properly with the Sottozero's then Tesla needs send out a notice ASAP. Otherwise most people are going to end up installing Ice-X, Blizzak, or Nokian tires and be very annoyed that they have no regen. This thread is going to explode over the next month as people in the northern US install their winter tires.

People in the northern US use winter tires lol? People in Ontario barely use them. I think the US would be largely limited to Vermont, Minnesota, Maine, NH, and a few tiny states bordering the prairies. None exactly massive population centres.

People in the northern US use winter tires lol? People in Ontario barely use them. I think the US would be largely limited to Vermont, Minnesota, Maine, NH, and a few tiny states bordering the prairies. None exactly massive population centres.

Are you kidding? All of New England has been hammered over the last decade.

One Winter in MA we may get nearly nothing. And large lakes don't freeze. Next Winter we get 9 feet. And 4 weeks near 0F.

That said, I don't think this is that big an issue. Most people in the snow belts got AWD ;)

Those of us in New England with RWD M3s definitely need winter tires. And not the "performance" winter tires that Tesla includes in their package.

Reactions: mswlogo

I flew the US extensively for my entire career. They get snow. Lots of it. Especially the entire Midwest through the east/north east. I had more cancelled and delayed flights to the US Eastern seaboard due to snowstorms than I did to the Canadian maritimes.

I have my winters on since OCT 18th and have driven over 1000km. The regen got a little better with V9 but still not the same as the stock OEM tires/rims.

As a control group to rule out some theories, I'm still on the stock 18" setup and finally got v9 (39.x) on Saturday:
- No perceived difference in regen from v8 to v9
- No perceived difference in regen from colder temperatures once the car warms up and dots disappear
- Yes, Wh/km efficiency has gone down due to colder temperatures (higher air resistance, running heat)

Once again you are wrong here, a lot of us in Ontario purchased our M3's before the rebate was cancelled and only have RWD as the option. I think there were 5-10k vehicles in this situation, so I would say a majority of us here in snow belts have RWD

Many RWD owners in New England too. Some because AWD wasn't available and some because we wanted the increased efficiency/range of the RWD. In any case, there will be a lot of RWD M3 owners installing winter tires soon and getting a rude awakening when regen doesn't work properly.

As a control group to rule out some theories, I'm still on the stock 18" setup and finally got v9 (39.x) on Saturday:
- No perceived difference in regen from v8 to v9
- No perceived difference in regen from colder temperatures once the car warms up and dots disappear
- Yes, Wh/km efficiency has gone down due to colder temperatures (higher air resistance, running heat)

Confirming this is nothing to do with v9 - I've had it for a while and there was no regen change. It's winter tire-related - driving away from my tire change it was night and day - I suddenly had to start using the brakes like crazy and being careful not to rear-end people. No response to my Tesla ticket yet - they'd said a response by today, I guess on Cali time they still have a while...

Reactions: navguy12
Confirming this is nothing to do with v9 - I've had it for a while and there was no regen change. It's winter tire-related - driving away from my tire change it was night and day - I suddenly had to start using the brakes like crazy and being careful not to rear-end people. No response to my Tesla ticket yet - they'd said a response by today, I guess on Cali time they still have a while...
Exactly why they should put out a warning to unwitting owners until they have it sorted.

Which rim did you choose? Does tsla uses special TPMS or any tire shop will have it. Sorry totally noob
I've already mounted the OEM all-season tires onto a new set of rims with aftermarket TPMS. Can't wait to wear the new rims in the Spring! I picked Michelin X-Ice Xi3 for their reputation, durability and quiet ride. I'll find out how they are when the Canadian Winter hits in (hopefully) 2-3 months