Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update. After 3 weeks/2000km, I have gotten most of my Regen back. It happened before the latest update. I'm mostly back to one pedal driving.

I guess it takes a bit of time for the car to adjust to the new tire grip.

18 inch aero / Nokia Hakka 9.
For clarification could you post the model you have and what you experienced from the get go? Was it immediate when you put the tires on? Did it gradually return? You say mostly returned. Where do you still notice it lacking? I’m sure we’d all love some hope.

Reactions: navguy12
A lot of good details and experiences posted in this thread. I've just installed my winter tires (XIce on 18" new rims) and have the regen issue. Still on 42.2. I do have a quick question, has everyone contacted Tesla about this? I have not as of yet and wondered if I should given there has been no real response or acknowledgement to the issue.

A lot of good details and experiences posted in this thread. I've just installed my winter tires (XIce on 18" new rims) and have the regen issue. Still on 42.2. I do have a quick question, has everyone contacted Tesla about this? I have not as of yet and wondered if I should given there has been no real response or acknowledgement to the issue.

The more people they hear from, the more likely they’ll fix it. So, I’d recommend complaining to Tesla through as many channels as you can think (online, service center, phone, etc). The squeaky wheel gets the grease!

The more people they hear from, the more likely they’ll fix it. So, I’d recommend complaining to Tesla through as many channels as you can think (online, service center, phone, etc). The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Just got off the phone with Tesla support/service. Interestingly enough, the support person on the phone has not heard of this. He said it was the first time that he has received a call about the issue. He's escalated and we'll see if I get a return call. Will update when I hear back.

dropped by oakville service center..talked to one of the techs. He asked if wheels were after market..and he thought it may be different wheel size..So me thinks they are making stuff up :)
i have rwd with 18" ice on new rims..
i have toggled the settings many times.. still no luck
when on highway it WANTS to regen but the green line sputters so it must be getting some false readings on the regen. so hit brakes I must...
anything below ~40 km/h regen is fine...
jb

• Informative
dropped by oakville service center..talked to one of the techs. He asked if wheels were after market..and he thought it may be different wheel size..So me thinks they are making stuff up :)
i have rwd with 18" ice on new rims..
i have toggled the settings many times.. still no luck
when on highway it WANTS to regen but the green line sputters so it must be getting some false readings on the regen. so hit brakes I must...
anything below ~40 km/h regen is fine...
jb

Yeah, the line techs have no idea. It’s not the wheels or TPMS since many people report the issue with OEM wheels/TPMS. Most plausible theory is that the extra “squirm” that good winter tires have (especially above 45F) is confusing the traction control software software and causing it to limit regen. Tesla needs to be make that software less sensitive.

At the very least, everyone who’s seeing the issue should use Tesla’s online comment system to complain and flag it for executive review. I sent a note to InsideEVs about the issue, including thread links, hoping they would write something about the issue, but no luck.

Having erratic/unpredictable regen braking with winter tires is really a safety issue. If Tesla doesn’t fix it soon, reports to the NHTSA will be warranted.

All it will take is some owner that doesn’t see the change coming to have a crash. The owner will quite fairly blame Tesla. The car is not working like it should. It was a known issue, for two weeks now or longer and they’ve done nothing, let alone warn people.

I can see Elon now. ‘Wait a sec, you’re telling me we knew about this????!!!! What did we do again??? Dick all??? You’re fired!

We should all tweet Elon this thread. We know they act quickly when media writes about it.

The reason I put it in the ca
This thread should probably be moved into the main Model 3 areas since it’s not Canada specific.
the reason I put this thread here is that the percentage of owners that put on winter tires has to be exponentially higher in Canada than the US. I started a thread under the model 3 battery and charging forum and it got some interest but not like here. As expected, posting it I Canada got more exposure since Canadians will predominantly have the problem. Regardless, there’s will be those in the North US that have the problem any day now when they swap. I don’t like the idea of moving the thread as it will potentially limit the collection of info. There should maybe me one on the main model 3 forum though so unwitting US owners know about it.

Yeah, the line techs have no idea. It’s not the wheels or TPMS since many people report the issue with OEM wheels/TPMS. Most plausible theory is that the extra “squirm” that good winter tires have (especially above 45F) is confusing the traction control software software and causing it to limit regen. Tesla needs to be make that software less sensitive.

At the very least, everyone who’s seeing the issue should use Tesla’s online comment system to complain and flag it for executive review. I sent a note to InsideEVs about the issue, including thread links, hoping they would write something about the issue, but no luck.

Having erratic/unpredictable regen braking with winter tires is really a safety issue. If Tesla doesn’t fix it soon, reports to the NHTSA will be warranted.

That's a good idea. I think Electrek is a better place for that tip, so I messaged them as well.

For clarification could you post the model you have and what you experienced from the get go? Was it immediate when you put the tires on? Did it gradually return? You say mostly returned. Where do you still notice it lacking? I’m sure we’d all love some hope.

I posted a few pages back. As soon as I put on the winter tires, Regen is mostly gone above 30 km/hr. Especially in higher speeds such as 70 km/hr, it is non existent. Below 30 the reduced Regen is less noticeable.

Now I got about 80% of old Regen back.

I drove a few miles (kilometers) today with my Nokian R3’s and 19” TST Tsportlines and had no issues with regen. My problem was that it took forever for the new tpms sensors to be recognized and paired to the 3. I drove about 30 mins last night with a mix of city and highway driving for about 20km and the car did not pair the sensors. I drove it again this afternoon and it finally paired after another 5 mins of driving. My experience with the S and X all have paired within 5-10 mins of driving.

The R3’s felt really squirmy and soft compared to the stock 20” setup. My R2’s on my S didn’t feel as soft. The energy usage is about the same for the first day of driving...will have to log a few more days to see what the difference in energy use is. I have them aired up to 43psi cold.

I drove a few miles (kilometers) today with my Nokian R3’s and 19” TST Tsportlines and had no issues with regen. My problem was that it took forever for the new tpms sensors to be recognized and paired to the 3. I drove about 30 mins last night with a mix of city and highway driving for about 20km and the car did not pair the sensors. I drove it again this afternoon and it finally paired after another 5 mins of driving. My experience with the S and X all have paired within 5-10 mins of driving.

The R3’s felt really squirmy and soft compared to the stock 20” setup. My R2’s on my S didn’t feel as soft. The energy usage is about the same for the first day of driving...will have to log a few more days to see what the difference in energy use is. I have them aired up to 43psi cold.

The issue is only on RWD from what I read you have a P3D+

I switched my tires yesterday, and like many others with RWD my regen feels different now, it's there but not enough anymore to do one pedal driving.

Coming off the highway the regen bar shows a long bar but seems to become small quickly, then as I slow down it gets bigger again.

Looking forward to getting it back soon like others are starting to see.

Add me to the list.

Installed Bridgestone Blizzak's today and exact same result as others have described.

Greatly reduced regen above 30km/hr.

I am amazed at how the car can sense different rubber on the rims.

Hope this gets fixed. I like one pedal driving and miss it already.

Vin

• Informative
I had a Tesla mobile service tech working on my car recently to replace some parts. I talked to him a bit about this issue, if he's seen it and what he knows. Essentially what he told me was that the control system for the regen is very sensitive, and it is calibrated from the factory using the stock tires (the various ones that are optioned with the 3). Traction differences from stock type tires, and how the tires compress (squish), can cause regen to go into a safe mode. So winter tires having lower dry surface traction and being much softer trip it up.

He wasn't saying this as a certainty, just from what he knows/has heard. I've chatted with him before and generally trust his opinion.

I had a Tesla mobile service tech working on my car recently to replace some parts. I talked to him a bit about this issue, if he's seen it and what he knows. Essentially what he told me was that the control system for the regen is very sensitive, and it is calibrated from the factory using the stock tires (the various ones that are optioned with the 3). Traction differences from stock type tires, and how the tires compress (squish), can cause regen to go into a safe mode. So winter tires having lower dry surface traction and being much softer trip it up.

He wasn't saying this as a certainty, just from what he knows/has heard. I've chatted with him before and generally trust his opinion.

and he said the solution is...? Did he have any insight into whether or not the control system is modifiable via software update? Just sort of blows my mind that Tesla didn't see this coming. I mean they sell tons of cars in Norway, and iirc they tested the M3 somewhere super cold, so... how on earth could they have only tested it with one particular type of winter tire?