Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wouldn't be so fast to change the headline. There are definitely more RWD on the road. AWD deliveries only started in Sept. As noted earlier, I had regen impacted with my AWD when the FW was upgraded from 39.x to 42.3. I'm still on the stock aero 18". I wouldn't be surprised if this is related. There is definitely some issue related to the firmware, tires, rwd/awd, specific car, etc. A few others have noted a difference in AWD regen with 42.3. Some have noted no difference.

If it's true that the M3 will only work properly with the Sottozero's then Tesla needs send out a notice ASAP. Otherwise most people are going to end up installing Ice-X, Blizzak, or Nokian tires and be very annoyed that they have no regen. This thread is going to explode over the next month as people in the northern US install their winter tires.
So true and on top of that, their service centres are going to be busy answering the same questions.

Regen was working normal with factory 18" tires on 2018.42.4. After I put on my winter tires (Xi3) with after market TPMS sensors from eBay, I noticed loss/limited regen others on this thread is experiencing from full warm up vehicle with no limited regen dots. When I installed my winter tires, message screen also popped up to confirm my tire size. Hoping it's just recalibration issue that the system has to learn. I'm going to be putting in a ticket to Tesla on this issue as well. Will report back if anything changes.

Reactions: navguy12
What method do people use to "put in a ticket"?

1. Sign into Tesla.com
2. Click the Manage button under your Model 3 VIN
3. Click Ask a Question
4. Fill out the form, and be sure to select the “Escalate this concern for executive review” option
5. Submit the form

I stongly suggest that everyone here does this. I also suggest that your comments focus on the unpredictable regen making the car seem unsafe to you, and driving in winter with all-season tires also being unsafe. This needs to be treated as a safety issue that must be corrected ASAP.

1. Sign into Tesla.com
2. Click the Manage button under your Model 3 VIN
3. Click Ask a Question
4. Fill out the form, and be sure to select the “Escalate this concern for executive review” option
5. Submit the form

I stongly suggest that everyone here does this. I also suggest that your comments focus on the unpredictable regen making the car seem unsafe to you, and driving in winter with all-season tires also being unsafe. This needs to be treated as a safety issue that must be corrected ASAP.

Great tip! I just submitted a ticket for it.

Reactions: navguy12 and JD29
Agreed. I just did the same thing. Let's hope it starts to get the attention of the right people.

From my discussion with the ranger yesterday they're well aware of it and have someone working on it, I doubt they'll make any rash changes to such a fundamental part of the driving tech so I expect to just have to live with it for a bit.

I think calling it unsafe per the other comment above is a bit of a stretch - on my first drive from the tire place yes, but now I'm pretty used to it. As with all the cool Tesla tech, at the end of the day we're still responsible to stay alert and drive the car.

From my discussion with the ranger yesterday they're well aware of it and have someone working on it, I doubt they'll make any rash changes to such a fundamental part of the driving tech so I expect to just have to live with it for a bit.

I think calling it unsafe per the other comment above is a bit of a stretch - on my first drive from the tire place yes, but now I'm pretty used to it. As with all the cool Tesla tech, at the end of the day we're still responsible to stay alert and drive the car.
Agree for the most part. Except that first drive. If you don’t know your brakes aren’t the way they were when you drove it last and there is no warning or notification I think it’s unsafe.

Reactions: navguy12

Someone that’s paying attention should be able to compensate for the unpredictable regen with friction braking. Though, having the car suddenly apply full regen at 20mph seems like a recipe to get rear ended. In any case, braking is one of those things that really should be consistent and predictable for safety reasons.

It took Tesla about two minutes to fix the long braking distance of the M3 once Consumer Reports highlighted it. They could rapidly fix this issue too, if they wanted to. Spotlighting the issue with multiple customer complaints, and hopefully some blog write-ups, will hopefully light a fire under them to do so.

It took Tesla about two minutes to fix the long braking distance of the M3 once Consumer Reports highlighted it. They could rapidly fix this issue too, if they wanted to. Spotlighting the issue with multiple customer complaints, and hopefully some blog write-ups, will hopefully light a fire under them to do so.

As I recall it was more like a few days for that fix. The reason for the quick response was the huge media coverage of the Consumer Reports results at a time when Tesla was trying to ramp up the Model 3 and dealing with hit piece after hit piece. You'd need to go rustle up that kind of hysteria for this to really get that kind of reaction. So if it's really dangerous for you, maybe reach out to the press - we can probably get together and help with the subject line since many of us have seen enough hysterical Tesla-bashing headlines to last a lifetime. I'll start - how about "Tesla Model 3 braking doesn't work in winter - owners stunned by manufacturer response".