Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was at Tesla Service today and asked if there has been any progress on this. The service advisor said that the only tires that were calibrated to work are the Pirelli's. I let him know there were owners on here that were saying otherwise and that even the Pirelli's were causing regen issues. He was in disbelief. Kept trying to tell him that it's not a matter of limited regen, regen set to low nor high SoC. He said he'd have to drive in a car equipped with the Pirelli's and experience it for himself to believe it. Fair enough, but it seems the Service folks are being told something from the top that isn't true.

Just an FYI.

I have been using Nokian WRG line of tires for my winter commutes in Ontario continually over the last ten years, from when I lived in the snow-heavy SS Marie area (120 inches of average annual snowfalls), a form of driving hell in northern Ontario's 2-lane TransCanada Hwy winter driving conditions not often seen even once since my return to the southern Ontario and GTA vicinity eight years ago. I've never felt the need for more aggressive dedicated snow tires than these WRGs, even during high speed winter commutes of 125 km/h on the 401 for my all-year driving, starting with WRG2 on a front-wheel-drive VW Golf, then WRG3 on a low-slung rear-wheel-drive Porsche 911 for year-round driving, through to the current WRG4 series on the Model 3 RWD. I expect the current series of these 4-seasons Nokians to be the best yet and that they are going to be perfectly suited for the Model 3 - they are designated as low rolling resistance for noise and range considerations - and recommended by Nokian officially for electric cars, due to their extra heavy load carrying capacity. The Model 3 also has the advantage that its low-slung CoG and Tesla's excellent torque management at any speed is already ahead of the game when it comes to winter behaviour. So far, my wife and I are very pleased with the tire. We expect not only great winter traction, but also great summer driving with these tires on our speed-limited highways compared to Europe where these tires are made. After swapping out the stock Michelin Primacy all-season tires on the aero rims with these all-weathers, I immediately noticed the enhanced feel and control, and better balance overall compared to even the good feel of the original Michelins that were on the car before, so that was a pleasant surprise as I had not wanted to sacrifice the feel. As a last point, I do expect to turn OFF the car's great Standard Regen during my winter driving to achieve better defence against slippery situations (just like not using cruise control on slippery roads). Finally, I'm only writing this as a reply and response to AnesDragon's specific inquiry based on my choice and not as a recommendation.
I had the WRG4 put on my car today. This is the fourth time purchasing the WRG tires over the years. I think they are perfect for our Calgary climate. Our roads are bare and dry most of the winter so a super soft compound tire is kind of wasted. I don't notice any noise difference from the all season tires the car came with. Slightly softer over the cracks. A little more slip in the corners but straight ahead launching seems about the same.
My regen did not change.:)

Reactions: noicepls
I was at Tesla Service today and asked if there has been any progress on this. The service advisor said that the only tires that were calibrated to work are the Pirelli's. I let him know there were owners on here that were saying otherwise and that even the Pirelli's were causing regen issues. He was in disbelief. Kept trying to tell him that it's not a matter of limited regen, regen set to low nor high SoC. He said he'd have to drive in a car equipped with the Pirelli's and experience it for himself to believe it. Fair enough, but it seems the Service folks are being told something from the top that isn't true.

Just an FYI.

This is dangerous. It sounds like we have a problem that Tesla or at least their technicians are not aware of. I drive an X with the original tires and I lost regen after the recent update, not completely lose it but significant enough that I now have to use brake. I used to drive my X without using brake or only brake at stop sign/ stop light. I will contact the SC next week to see what they say about my case. They are more than welcome to test drive my vehicle.

Below again are the steps to report this issue to Tesla, for anyone who isn’t reading through this whole massive thread. Unless it’s against the rules, or bothering people, I’ll try to repost them every few pages.

1. Sign into Tesla.com
2. Click the Manage button under your Model 3 VIN
3. Click Ask a Question
4. Fill out the form, and be sure to select the “Escalate this concern for executive review” option
5. Submit the form

Keep those complaints flowing so that Tesla gets motivated to fix this soon. Winter is coming!

I had the WRG4 put on my car today. This is the fourth time purchasing the WRG tires over the years. I think they are perfect for our Calgary climate. Our roads are bare and dry most of the winter so a super soft compound tire is kind of wasted. I don't notice any noise difference from the all season tires the car came with. Slightly softer over the cracks. A little more slip in the corners but straight ahead launching seems about the same.
My regen did not change.:)

That slip in the corners is due to the new-tire layer of "slickness" that will be gone after breaking in the tires over approx. 500-600 km of normal driving.

Just an FYI.

I was at Vancouver Tesla service center for paint and regen issue. The tech basically told me that the issue is with non-Tesla qualified Winter Tire issue. I didn't want to argue with them as I was there mainly for the paint issues. They cleaned off the paint residues for me. It's not the best, but I didn't want to spend more time there as my detailer will do some corrections before the ceramic coating later this month.

I'm hoping Tesla provides and fix soon.
Btw, they issued new software update for me so I'm now on 2018.42.4. I was on 2018.39.7 forever.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I was at Vancouver Tesla service center for paint and regen issue. The tech basically told me that the issue is with non-Tesla qualified Winter Tire issue. I didn't want to argue with them as I was there mainly for the paint issues. They cleaned off the paint residues for me. It's not the best, but I didn't want to spend more time there as my detailer will do some corrections before the ceramic coating later this month.

I'm hoping Tesla provides and fix soon.
Btw, they issued new software update for me so I'm now on 2018.42.4. I was on 2018.39.7 forever.

Tires needing to be pre-qualified by the auto manufacturer is not something any consumer should expect or accept in a mass produced car. Tesla needs to make their traction control and regen systems adaptable to any reasonable tire that an owner may choose to install.

This is dangerous. It sounds like we have a problem that Tesla or at least their technicians are not aware of. I drive an X with the original tires and I lost regen after the recent update, not completely lose it but significant enough that I now have to use brake. I used to drive my X without using brake or only brake at stop sign/ stop light. I will contact the SC next week to see what they say about my case. They are more than welcome to test drive my vehicle.

Sounds like what happened to me. Huge drop in regen with firmware update to 42.3. Model 3 AWD

RWD with 18's and stock Pirelli setup experiencing low or no regen. This was Tesla's response via my tesla and not going through executive escalation. Took a while, but I here is the response:

Customer Support Tesla via dv4q0i5szw1nih.5-6dxxeaq.na55.bnc.salesforce.com
10:31 AM (1 hour ago)
to me

Hello (name redacted),

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Customer Support. We do greatly apologize for the delay in responding to your email. We are working on adding functionality to our traction control system to detect winter tires and change the calibration to allow full regen while maintaining good vehicle stability. Until a software update is available, it is recommended to leave the vehicle in low regen mode through the UI to increase the consistency of behavior in this state.

This issue is not a safety concern as what we've seen is generally a continuous loss of regen that can easily be accounted for by the driver. Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle.? If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752)

(name redacted)| Service Support

ref:_00D506dxX._500f1lGWtJ:ref

edit add: Tesla works on Sunday's. Kudos to them. Waking up on Sunday to see a support email is awesome. These people work hard and it is much appreciated by me. In an ever changing world, this keeps me Tesla strong. Perfection is impossible, but if your strive for it. Well maybe you can achieve excellence. Never have felt like a number as a Tesla customer. That will keep me in line for my next one. :)

Last edited:
RWD with 18's and stock Pirelli setup experiencing low or no regen. This was Tesla's response via my tesla and not going through executive escalation. Took a while, but I here is the response:

Customer Support Tesla via dv4q0i5szw1nih.5-6dxxeaq.na55.bnc.salesforce.com
10:31 AM (1 hour ago)
to me

Hello (name redacted),

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Customer Support. We do greatly apologize for the delay in responding to your email. We are working on adding functionality to our traction control system to detect winter tires and change the calibration to allow full regen while maintaining good vehicle stability. Until a software update is available, it is recommended to leave the vehicle in low regen mode through the UI to increase the consistency of behavior in this state.

This issue is not a safety concern as what we've seen is generally a continuous loss of regen that can easily be accounted for by the driver. Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle.? If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752)

(name redacted)| Service Support

ref:_00D506dxX._500f1lGWtJ:ref

Thanks for the update. Really. I’ll post it on the other board under fake news:)

Seriously though, thank you for coming back and keeping us updated.