Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had issues with regen starting as soon as winters installed. very inconsistent as well. Reported issue to Tesla as indicated and they responded with an acknowledgment that they are working on a solution.

Exactly!
Winter tires installed and ReGen went SOUTH!
I was certain that my TM3 had a serious ReGen breakdown

I just got my Nokian R3 installed today on the aero rims and haven't noticed a difference in regen yet. I'll be doing more highway driving tomorrow but I did quite a bit today

Same Nokia R3's installed and ReGen is AWOL!
Btw, running 42.3 update...looking for fix asap

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
Ok so there’s one RWD without a problem. It took me 1km to notice it so 50km you’d notice for sure

I installed Nokian R3's on stock aero's over the weekend on my RWD. Regen definitely feels different, on screen it's limited to maybe 1/3 of the bar even when dots are gone, and certainly need to use the brakes a lot more at higher speeds. That said, maybe I was psychologically ready from this thread but it didn't feel as big a deal to me.

On a side note, anyone find the R3's much noisier than expected? I start hearing this whirring noise above 30 km/hr, and above 80km/h it sounds like a washer on spin cycle (smooth whirring, so don't think its a balance issue).

Add me to the list of affected vehicles:

LR RWD
Aero wheels
Nokian Hakka R3

Reported via MyTelsa portal.

Received a response within 20 minutes:

On Nov 12, 2018, at 10:05 AM, Customer Support Tesla <[email protected]> wrote:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to us here at the Executive Care Team. I am sorry to hear about this experience. The described symptom has been reported to be corralated to Winter Tires other than Pirelli Sottozero.

We are working on adding functionality to our traction control system to detect winter tires of other makes and change the calibration to allow full regen. The car is safe to drive in this state. We recommend using low Regen mode for the best consistency until a fix can be rolled out.

For future customer support needs, please feel free to reach out directly to our dedicated customer support teams via [email protected].

With kind regards
(name redacted) | Global Executive Care
Burgemeester Stramanweg 122 | 1101EN Amsterdam
servlet.ImageServer

ref:_00D506dxX._500f1m8Zck:ref​

I responded, referencing @outdoors report below:

Thank you for the prompt response.

As a data point for a customer who is reporting this symptom with the approved Pirelli Sottozero winter tire package, please refer to:

ref:_00D506dxX._500f1lGWtJ:ref

I look forward to a resolution in the near future.​

RWD with 18's and stock Pirelli setup experiencing low or no regen. This was Tesla's response via my tesla and not going through executive escalation. Took a while, but I here is the response:

Customer Support Tesla via dv4q0i5szw1nih.5-6dxxeaq.na55.bnc.salesforce.com
10:31 AM (1 hour ago)
to me

Hello (name redacted),

Thank you for reaching out to Tesla Customer Support. We do greatly apologize for the delay in responding to your email. We are working on adding functionality to our traction control system to detect winter tires and change the calibration to allow full regen while maintaining good vehicle stability. Until a software update is available, it is recommended to leave the vehicle in low regen mode through the UI to increase the consistency of behavior in this state.

This issue is not a safety concern as what we've seen is generally a continuous loss of regen that can easily be accounted for by the driver. Please visit our Support Page, which covers frequently asked questions about Tesla and your vehicle.? If you have any further questions or concerns, you can reach Customer Support at [email protected] or by phone at 1-877-79-TESLA (83752)

(name redacted)| Service Support

ref:_00D506dxX._500f1lGWtJ:ref

edit add: Tesla works on Sunday's. Kudos to them. Waking up on Sunday to see a support email is awesome. These people work hard and it is much appreciated by me. In an ever changing world, this keeps me Tesla strong. Perfection is impossible, but if your strive for it. Well maybe you can achieve excellence. Never have felt like a number as a Tesla customer. That will keep me in line for my next one. :)

I am following this closely. After swapping out my aeros for aftermarket rims and Michelin Xices I am having the exact same issue. I find the green regen bar tries to start growing when you lift off at medium to high speed then disappears. The car is trying to regen, but it must sense a fault and gives regen back. I submitted a bug report. Great thing about Tesla's is that we know this will be fixed shortly.

Reactions: Muskol
Just got a call from Tesla, they pushed a server side update to my car to try and resolve the issue.

Unfortunately, the update has not really helped as far as I can tell, it’s definitely not as it was.

An important take away is that Tesla can push server side updates to your car, meaning it’s not a firmware update. Instead, it is a mechanism to tune parameters and presumable more.

Just got a call from Tesla, they pushed a server side update to my car to try and resolve the issue.

Unfortunately, the update has not really helped as far as I can tell, it’s definitely not as it was.

An important take away is that Tesla can push server side updates to your car, meaning it’s not a firmware update. Instead, it is a mechanism to tune parameters and presumable more.

Interesting. Was there any indication on the car’s screen or in the app that the update had occurred?

Got the Tesla winter package installed today and took it for a spin to Guelph.

The regen is different at high speeds but there is definitely a good amount. Not as aggressive as with the all-season stock tires but I see what other posters mean as at 30 km/h there is a noticeable "grab" to bring it down almost to a stop. I'd call it a more "muted" regen at highway speed which for me feels like a smoother ride.

No complaints with the install other than my appointment being 8:30am-12:30pm and the installer arriving at almost 1pm. One of the TPMS sensors seems to be faulty as I'm getting the "Call Tesla Service" message. That sensor isn't returning a pressure amount in the driver side rear tire. The tires feel great and are quiet - awaiting the first big snowstorm to see how these guys handle it.

Last edited: