Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue for me. LR RWD. Using the Tesla 18" Winter Package with Sottozeros. Regen has been wonky the day I put the tires on, even with a fully warm battery.

I notice going around corners regen is completley cut off. Generally regen is inconsistent (sometimes heavy, sometimes green bar all the way but car is freewheeling).

Surprised that changing tires would do this. My initial thought was that it was because of a cold battery, but who knows.

So you are using the Tesla winter package and also experiencing reduced regen? Did you submit a ticket to Tesla? They need to know this is a problem for all winter tires on the LR RWD!

So, put on the R3's today. RWD. Went down to 18" for the winters. I was expecting to see no regen, but it was still there. Low speed and high. It seems maybe a little bit less, but it still really slows the car down. I am on 42.4. Also I was pleasantly surprised yesterday driving home with my all seasons (Perelli P7's) during that dump of snow. A couple of times other cars (including a Jeep Patriot) were spinning their wheels starting out on a slight uphill, I just went around them like I was wearing snow tires. Felt very solid on the road. I will say that self driving is a long way away. At one point on the highway I put the autopilot on to see how it would do (we were only moving at about 50 km/hr) and it could not handle not seeing the lines since the road was snow covered. Tried to weave all over the place, so I shut if off and drove as if I remembered how! Also the sensors got covered in slush and all but the forward camera's were covered about 30 min into the drive and stopped working. Overall quite happy with the car in the bad weather.

I like your posts and value the details. I was under the impression that you were able to detect the regen loss on instrumentation, but that it wasn't particularly noticeable in the seat of your pants. If I misunderstood, I apologize.
No worries....didn't mean to sound angry if it came across that way ;)

Indeed, I noticed the loss of regen at higher speeds right away. I would be very interested in seeing someone do the same measurements on a RWD before/after the tire swap to see if the magnitude of regen loss is the same. I could see how an AWD would have slightly better regen in the 'depleted' state since it has 2 motors it can divide the reduced regen between.

I also think that inherently the risk of having 'too much' regen is worse on an RWD....if you are coming around a curve and have strong regen and take your foot off the accelerator it could put you in a fishtail pretty quickly, but on an AWD the regen is more balanced because of the dual motor and in theory shouldn't need to scale back as much as a RWD.

In practice, I wouldn't be surprised if AWD and RWD are running the same code right now. Model 3 is still relatively new, and they can optimize and release an OTA update once they have enough data on optimization. At least that's what I hope they are going to do.

Ok so I can confirm that there is a loss of Regen with AWD and winter tires. Put on my winters yesterday, conti wintercontacts on after market rims. Under 60km/h Regen is there, but on the highway Regen is noticeably weaker when traveling over 100km/h.

Like others have detailed, it seems the squishiness of the tires throw off the traction control and Regen systems. Will see if it improves with more driving, but can assure it is a difference as others have seen.

Why has nobody in the P3D thread noted this? Very strange.

Ok I'll add a data point for the P3D+.

I installed the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 (245/40R19) on TSportline 19's on Friday. I got aftermarket TPMS sensors that were cloned from the original Tesla's 20" wheels. The car thinks i'm still driving on the original 20" as there hasn't been a prompt to ask about a wheel change. I haven't noticed any loss in regen from 80kph to 0. Reacts pretty much the same as before. I can't say anything about 100kph+ yet. I will update again when I hit those speeds.

Ok so I can confirm that there is a loss of Regen with AWD and winter tires. Put on my winters yesterday, conti wintercontacts on after market rims. Under 60km/h Regen is there, but on the highway Regen is noticeably weaker when traveling over 100km/h.

Like others have detailed, it seems the squishiness of the tires throw off the traction control and Regen systems. Will see if it improves with more driving, but can assure it is a difference as others have seen.

Did you by chance put on the Wintercontact SI's orWinterContact TS850P?

I purchased the Conti's Wintercontact TS850p since I'm trying to match the specs of the Sottozeros (98V, XL) and I get those on this week (LR, RWD) and I'll report back to see if the higher speed rating (less squishiness) makes a difference or not.

Did you by chance put on the Wintercontact SI's orWinterContact TS850P?

I purchased the Conti's Wintercontact TS850p since I'm trying to match the specs of the Sottozeros (98V, XL) and I get those on this week (LR, RWD) and I'll report back to see if the higher speed rating (less squishiness) makes a difference or not.
I have the WinterContact Si's on, running the same 235/45/18 Size spec as the tires on the Aeros wheels.

Just one more data point to add. RWD with Hakka R3s on Aero wheels with Tesla TPMS. At first (driving back from tire shop) I noticed it but thought "that's not so bad". That drive was mostly at 80kph or so. Today driving a couple hundred km across 407/404/400 and it's very noticeable. I feel the slowdown at 30 as others describe. What's strange is I'd swear there's regular regen at the top for a few seconds around 100kph (offramp) with a green bar and not much slowing but there is some (similar as I had on the all seasons for the last few weeks). But then after a couple seconds the bar disappears say 80ish down to 30 and just coasts. Battery completely warm today with a long charge finished as I was leaving.