Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, do the winters tires break the regen for good or if you put the other tires back on does it go back to normal. What I'm getting at is it the tires themselves or is something getting broken during the process of switching out the tires? I'm also try to come up with ANY reason why the cars computer would "think" differently just because there are winter tires on the car. There is no way for it know that it has another set of tires on unless the something is changing with the data coming back to it. I would think that on dry streets the regen should work just fine. People are switching out stock tires for wider tires and even different wheels (non-winter) and no has said their regen is affected as far as I know.

So, do the winters tires break the regen for good or if you put the other tires back on does it go back to normal. What I'm getting at is it the tires themselves or is something getting broken during the process of switching out the tires? I'm also try to come up with ANY reason why the cars computer would "think" differently just because there are winter tires on the car. There is no way for it know that it has another set of tires on unless the something is changing with the data coming back to it. I would think that on dry streets the regen should work just fine. People are switching out stock tires for wider tires and even different wheels (non-winter) and no has said their regen is affected as far as I know.

It 100% knows you've got new tires. A msg pops up immediately afterwards asking what size your new tires are.

I would think snow tires slip less in snow (you would hope) and the same or more on dry pavement.

True, but that is slipping "differently/more". I assume that people are complaining about less regen on dry pavement where the winter tires would be slipping more. (Or it could just be that they are flexing/twisting more which makes the traction control system think it is slipping when it isn't.)

Didn't know that. But the issue exists regardless of TPMS sensor no? Which would indicate it's not related to the car adjusting due to sensing of new tires.

Correct. Basically what MP3Mike said below, it's the TCS that's causing the issue due to the change in grip from the tires. It's apparently so finely tuned that winter tires throw the sensors off out of their calibrated range and bork out regen.

It is "sensing different tires" but not because of the TPMS but because they slip differently/more.

Reactions: Techniques
Correct. Basically what MP3Mike said below, it's the TCS that's causing the issue due to the change in grip from the tires. It's apparently so finely tuned that winter tires throw the sensors off out of their calibrated range and bork out regen.
Interesting. Well, I'm surprised that it can tell the difference between snow tires and all seasons so well. Do you get the same warning if you switch from the stock all seasons to summer performance tires?

Interesting. Well, I'm surprised that it can tell the difference between snow tires and all seasons so well. Do you get the same warning if you switch from the stock all seasons to summer performance tires?
Which warning?

Also, it's not so much that it can tell the difference between snow and all season tires but the difference in grip the two different compounds provide.

Last edited:

The best theory is that the soft compound used for good winter tires, along with deeper treads, causes enough “squirm” that the traction control systems gets confused and thinks the tires are slipping. This causes it to limit regen.

The best theory is that the soft compound used for good winter tires, along with deeper treads, causes enough “squirm” that the traction control systems gets confused and thinks the tires are slipping. This causes it to limit regen.
That seems reasonable to me. Sounds like there needs to be a software update that either automagically fixes the problem OR allows you to set your regen to "Traction Tires" and does something to compensate. I would think that even with snow tires the regen would have to be far less on snow or ice to prevent the car from sliding.

Yes. If the car detects new TPMS sensors or if the current sensors have been rearranged like with a tire rotation then you should receive the prompt.

Funny I didn't get this prompt but paid for new TPMS on my set of new winter rims. I wonder if there's a way to check to make sure the shop didn't just take my old sensors and put them in my winter set and make me pay for something they didn't provide.

I will report that whatever has happened in the background, whether learning or 44.1, regen is back to normal. RWD, Tesla package.

Also, kudos to the Oakville Tesla team - Tire Storage Guys installed the tires and after driving a bit noticed one of the tires wasn't reading a pressure level. Made an appointment through my Tesla account for the next available appointment (3 weeks later) and Oakville contacted me saying they're cancelling my appointment and to come whenever I'm available to have a look. They determined it was the TPMS sensor, replaced it, and out the door in 30 mins. Amazing!

Thanks Mike,

I've very interested to know if 44.1 helps. Even if it does, Tesla Service doesn't seem to want to push firmware out anymore. It'll come when it comes.

I will report that whatever has happened in the background, whether learning or 44.1, regen is back to normal. RWD, Tesla package.

Also, kudos to the Oakville Tesla team - Tire Storage Guys installed the tires and after driving a bit noticed one of the tires wasn't reading a pressure level. Made an appointment through my Tesla account for the next available appointment (3 weeks later) and Oakville contacted me saying they're cancelling my appointment and to come whenever I'm available to have a look. They determined it was the TPMS sensor, replaced it, and out the door in 30 mins. Amazing!

Theoretically the winter tires will be providing more grip now so should be experiencing better regen. I’m now wondering if it’s a algorithm from calendar, ambient temperature and speed. I have no luxuries like that and to be honest full regen on winter tires on slippery roads is no fun, I wonder if it’s a safety thing to stop the tears locking up causing no regen at higher speeds making the braking more predictable. Has anyone put a sniffer on the can bus to actually see what’s happening rather than just guessing

I find it strange that no one has indicated if they are getting limited regen (aka regen dots) in the colder weather. If my car is sitting outside not charging in 7 degree Celsius Vancouver weather, my display indicates that half of my regen is available (i.e. lots of dots). With half regen available, you basically coast at above 50kph and then you feel the regen kicking in. In the morning after a fresh charge in 3 degree weather I nearly have full regen available and regen acts more normal at higher speeds.

You guys out east have much colder weather and I can imagine it's affecting the available regen (regardless of snow tires) more so than out west.