Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anybody still having this issue? I have a SR+, and just got 18” aero replicas with Michelin x-ice tires installed. Regen is out of whack, works normally up to 30km/h but at higher speeds it is very limited regardless of battery %

I had my X-ice's installed last week and there was an annoying ammout of regen reduction. (SR+ as well on 18" stock aeros)
I gave it time, then reduced pressure to 45 psi (they were at 47 cold), then reset the TPMS incase.
Outside temperature varys between 5-20 degC.
After a day it seemed to get better (maybe mid-way back to the stock A/S's) but I don't know if it's also just my mind playing tricks on me.
The reason I know it's still not the same is when using autopilot in stop-and-go, autopilot seems to have to use the brakes more and it's a less-smooth experience.

I'm optimistic that this next "one-pedal driving" update helps with this, I assume it's a large revamp of the regen algorithms. (and hopefully more use of regen for autopilot too in stop-and-go!)

I had my X-ice's installed last week and there was an annoying ammout of regen reduction. (SR+ as well on 18" stock aeros)
I gave it time, then reduced pressure to 45 psi (they were at 47 cold), then reset the TPMS incase.
Outside temperature varys between 5-20 degC.
After a day it seemed to get better (maybe mid-way back to the stock A/S's) but I don't know if it's also just my mind playing tricks on me.
The reason I know it's still not the same is when using autopilot in stop-and-go, autopilot seems to have to use the brakes more and it's a less-smooth experience.

I'm optimistic that this next "one-pedal driving" update helps with this, I assume it's a large revamp of the regen algorithms. (and hopefully more use of regen for autopilot too in stop-and-go!)

I spoke to Tesla Mobile Service, they seem to think that due to the warm weather the tires are soft and it’s triggering the traction control. They said it should improve as the temperature drops. We will see!

I’m curious to see how this plays out. Presumably all the cars have the same software fix that was implemented last winter. I know how frustrating it can be to know you have an issue with regen and get the standard low temp or high soc explanations.

I was one of the first to hit regen issues last year and it was bad before the fix. I just put on my winters at the weekend and there was definitely a reduction in regen initially but nothing like pre-fix last year. It does seem like the car adjusted over the last couple of days though - back to normal now. Could be temperature, who knows.

I burned through my MXM4s at around 45K km halfway through this last summer. I put on a set of Michelin Cross Climate+. I did not see any issues with regen following the switch and I have been very happy with them through the summer. They are full rated (snowflake and mountain) winter tires. I will be interested to see how they perform in the snow. If they are as good as the reviews, they will permanently become my year round tire.

• Informative
Reactions: CharleyBC
I burned through my MXM4s at around 45K km halfway through this last summer. I put on a set of Michelin Cross Climate+. I did not see any issues with regen following the switch and I have been very happy with them through the summer. They are full rated (snowflake and mountain) winter tires. I will be interested to see how they perform in the snow. If they are as good as the reviews, they will permanently become my year round tire.
How are you liking those tires so far?

cc: @Mobsidian

I’m curious to see how this plays out. Presumably all the cars have the same software fix that was implemented last winter. I know how frustrating it can be to know you have an issue with regen and get the standard low temp or high soc explanations.

FYI my regen behaviour has returned to normal as the temps have dropped the past couple of days. I think Tesla’s explanation of high temps= soft rubber = traction control reducing regen made sense.

How are you liking those tires so far?

cc: @Mobsidian
So far, the tires have been great. Last fall I found the MXM4s had traction issues even on dry pavement once the temperatures started approaching freezing. The rubber was too hard. The dry and wet traction on the Cross Climate+ was better than it was on the MXM4s through the summer and is much better so far this fall. I didn't find much difference on noise levels (it was hard to tell going from worn older tires to new tires). My energy consumption might be a bit higher but the difference is small enough that I can't tell for sure. The only thing I have not yet tested is their performance on snow or ice. Not too much in the immediate forecast here yet but it will come.

In short, even as an all season tire I like them better than the MXM4s. If they prove to be good winter tires, then they will be my only tire going forward.

• Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
So far, the tires have been great. Last fall I found the MXM4s had traction issues even on dry pavement once the temperatures started approaching freezing. The rubber was too hard. The dry and wet traction on the Cross Climate+ was better than it was on the MXM4s through the summer and is much better so far this fall. I didn't find much difference on noise levels (it was hard to tell going from worn older tires to new tires). My energy consumption might be a bit higher but the difference is small enough that I can't tell for sure. The only thing I have not yet tested is their performance on snow or ice. Not too much in the immediate forecast here yet but it will come.

In short, even as an all season tire I like them better than the MXM4s. If they prove to be good winter tires, then they will be my only tire going forward.
Thanks for the reply!

The MXM4s are terrible in all conditions IMO. I can't wait to replace mine.

Our Central Valley of California MXM4s will probably need replacing by summer or so at about 50K km. I was just going to buy more of the same, figuring Tesla knew what they were doing. But we may be moving to someplace where winter driving is more of a thing during the lifespan of our next tires, so I'm interested to follow your experience on the Cross Climate+ through this winter! And some time back I came across this chart, which rates them super highly:
https://external-preview.redd.it/_U...bp&s=a13d904bdc620478c09dfd78e76bcd82ed46cc3a