Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has lost regen with winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hoping you are right. I will report back in a couple of days to give feedback. At the moment, my regen is nearly non existent with all other conditions being the same. I'm using brand new Hakka 9 studded on a Model 3 RWD SR+. I thought the culprit was the latest software update, but if it's just the tire change then fine.

I have those exact tires. I bought them December 2018, so I experienced the bug described above. I did not experience any issue upon changing back to them this winter, but an acquaintance in my area did experience what you are describing immediately after installing brand-new winters December 2019 on an SR+. I think this is because brand-new winters are quite soft and "squiggly" feeling when first installed - I remember thinking I was driving on marbles for the first thousand km or so on my Hakka 9's. Now they don't have that feeling at all. I suspect it will go away as you break-in the tires.

I just installed new Michelin x ice snow tires and am noticing the issues reported in this old thread.

Can someone summarize the latest news, will my regen return once the tires are "broken in"? Is the car learning the new tire configuration?

Model 3 SR+ RWD

I just installed new Michelin x ice snow tires and am noticing the issues reported in this old thread.

Can someone summarize the latest news, will my regen return once the tires are "broken in"? Is the car learning the new tire configuration?

Model 3 SR+ RWD
Truthfully, I find the winter tire regen reduction can vary between software versions.

I have my winters on (starting their third winter season of use) as of two weeks ago and the regen is reduced, but not by the really pronounced changes I felt back in 2018.

Truthfully, I find the winter tire regen reduction can vary between software versions.

I have my winters on (starting their third winter season of use) as of two weeks ago and the regen is reduced, but not by the really pronounced changes I felt back in 2018.

Oh yes, 2018 was quite a shocker - I'll never forget that first time nearly ramming into the back of someone because there was literally zero regen after putting on my winters. Kudos to Tesla who were onto it very very quickly and solved it with a software update.

I switched to winters a week ago on my Y and have no issues at all with regen.

Model 3 SR+ RWD
I just had X-Ice snows installed on our Model 3 a few weeks ago, and immediately noticed the same issues. Very little regenerative braking most of the time, and acceleration was much lower than normal too. I thought perhaps the tire shop had disconnected or damaged one of the wheel speed sensors, which (I've read) could make the computer unsure about the available traction.

I submitted a service request and Tesla sent someone out to check everything over. The tech didn't find anything wrong, but he did say that switching to tires with a very soft rubber compound can make the computer think it has less traction than it really does. This could be even more likely with brand new tires because the tread blocks are so tall and therefore less rigid (more "wiggly"). The tech said that the computer should recalibrate itself after driving around for a few days. He suggested occasionally doing some hard straight-line acceleration and coasting to help it recalibrate. I did that (when don't I?? :D) but still found it took several weeks for it to improve. Now it's much better, I'd say 90% back to normal, but still not quite the same as it would be on all season tires... maybe that's a good thing though, since the roads will be slipperier this time of year anyway.

Another thing he mentioned, is that the issue should improve as the temperature drops because the rubber compound will become more rigid. I actually did notice that to be true a few weeks ago, but now regen & acceleration are normal-ish regardless of temperature.

So hopefully yours will improve too over the next couple of weeks. Good luck!

I just had X-Ice snows installed on our Model 3 a few weeks ago, and immediately noticed the same issues. Very little regenerative braking most of the time, and acceleration was much lower than normal too. I thought perhaps the tire shop had disconnected or damaged one of the wheel speed sensors, which (I've read) could make the computer unsure about the available traction.

You sure it's not because your battery is cold? Regen can drop to practically nothing if so.

I submitted a service request and Tesla sent someone out to check everything over. The tech didn't find anything wrong, but he did say that switching to tires with a very soft rubber compound can make the computer think it has less traction than it really does. This could be even more likely with brand new tires because the tread blocks are so tall and therefore less rigid (more "wiggly"). The tech said that the computer should recalibrate itself after driving around for a few days. He suggested occasionally doing some hard straight-line acceleration and coasting to help it recalibrate. I did that (when don't I?? :D) but still found it took several weeks for it to improve. Now it's much better, I'd say 90% back to normal, but still not quite the same as it would be on all season tires... maybe that's a good thing though, since the roads will be slipperier this time of year anyway.

Another thing he mentioned, is that the issue should improve as the temperature drops because the rubber compound will become more rigid. I actually did notice that to be true a few weeks ago, but now regen & acceleration are normal-ish regardless of temperature.

So hopefully yours will improve too over the next couple of weeks. Good luck!

Thank you for sharing your feedback. After driving the car approximately 450-500 km, the issue seems to have fixed itself. My regen and acceleration were back to normal last week.

Montreal is now covered is now anyway so all that regen and acceleration means nothing :p

So to anyone having this issue, I suggest a short road trip to a neighboring city!

Reactions: navguy12
You sure it's not because your battery is cold? Regen can drop to practically nothing if so.
That's definitely a good point! In our case, it was still relatively warm out (15 C) so that wasn't the issue for us. We've had our Model 3 since Nov 2018 and we've seen regen affected a lot during two winters (both with stock all season tires). You're right, when the battery is cold there's almost no regen until it warms up.

Over the last two years with my 3 I’ve noticed when switching to winter tires that either temperature plays a role and also the gumminess of the winter tire affect regen. After driving for a bit the regen will improve. Now back in the winter of 2018/19, there was a software issue which was fixed with an update, but since then I haven’t had glaring regen issues.

Reactions: inagib and navguy12