Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has ordered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For orders places this calendar year are we really thinking it will be until 2024? They need to figure out how to speed that up. Ford pumps out more than 900,000 F-150s per year. What kind of production estimates do they have for the CT?

Backlog of CT orders is >1M. Tesla intends to increase car production 50% YoY for the next 5 years according to published plans. No estimates have been given for the breakdown of the car types (3, Y, CT, S, X, ...).

Ford Lighting reservations are running at 30% of the CT at same point in time, so Ford may be sitting on 500K reservations before they reach production. Ford is announcing their battery cell production capacity future plans for 2025 and 2030 which on pure numbers look to be many years and 1/10 of Tesla's published plans. If Ford owners hang on to their current trucks a bit longer than usual waiting on an EV truck, things would be very interesting for Ford, that kind of disruption to their gas truck profits would be ... um, what's the word ... bad.

Backlog of CT orders is >1M. Tesla intends to increase car production 50% YoY for the next 5 years according to published plans. No estimates have been given for the breakdown of the car types (3, Y, CT, S, X, ...).

Ford Lighting reservations are running at 30% of the CT at same point in time, so Ford may be sitting on 500K reservations before they reach production. Ford is announcing their battery cell production capacity future plans for 2025 and 2030 which on pure numbers look to be many years and 1/10 of Tesla's published plans. If Ford owners hang on to their current trucks a bit longer than usual waiting on an EV truck, things would be very interesting for Ford, that kind of disruption to their gas truck profits would be ... um, what's the word ... bad.

Maybe Ford has no choice. They have already lost customers to CT, so they are forced to run the risk of Osborning their current product line.

While an interesting comparison, I doubt that most looking to buy an F-150 are holding out for the Lightning model.

(For the younger crowd: The Osborne 1 was practically the first portable computer per se, and was a relatively big hit; when the Osborne 2 was announced, EVERYONE wanting an Osborne stopped buying the 1 and waited for the 2 ... causing the company to announce "without sales we can't afford to produce the next model" and folded.)

While an interesting comparison, I doubt that most looking to buy an F-150 are holding out for the Lightning model.

(For the younger crowd: The Osborne 1 was practically the first portable computer per se, and was a relatively big hit; when the Osborne 2 was announced, EVERYONE wanting an Osborne stopped buying the 1 and waited for the 2 ... causing the company to announce "without sales we can't afford to produce the next model" and folded.)
The initial F-150s will more than likely be the city dwellers and those that don't tow often or for long distances. I read that the F-150 Lightning will only get about 100 miles of range when towing. I think the pricing they announced is decent considering they are still eligible for the $7,500 tax credit.

The initial F-150s will more than likely be the city dwellers and those that don't tow often or for long distances. I read that the F-150 Lightning will only get about 100 miles of range when towing

I bought a Model S 85 because the S 60 was too low range for road trips. SO : don't buy the standard range 230 EPA Lightning. Buy the extended range battery pack, charge to 100% overnight, and get closer to 180 miles towing the next day before you need to charge. At 60 mph, that's 3 hours of driving, then park, stretch and eat and back on the road in 44 minutes for another 2 hours of driving and then park for the day.

Total mileage 180 + 120 = 300 miles in one day with a break. I'll take it.

I went ahead and "ordered" a tri-motor CT. I figured what the hell for $100 to have a spot in line. I'll just keep my eye on production progress and figure I won't actually have to make a "buy" decision for a year, maybe longer?? It's fun anyway to have some "skin" in the game.

Reactions: SmartElectric