Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has ordered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't pre ordered one and don't plan to. These were my thoughts posted in a different thread.

We bought an Expedition thinking I would tow my Mustang to car shows. Easier than packing 2 kids and luggage in the Mustang. That happened twice in 10 years. If I need to tow, I’ll just rent a truck. Expedition is great for long trips though. We use it to go to Las Vegas a couple times a year.

What I do miss is having a pickup truck and just throwing stuff in the back; plywood, 2x4s, large tools, dirty car parts, dueling tree, steel targets/stand, commercial refrigerators, etc. I had a ‘90s Toyota pickup that was great for this. Long trips to Vegas, not so much.

Still deciding between a single motor and dual motor; leaning towards single motor. Tow capacity isn’t a concern; not planning to tow. Speed is not a concern; other cars are faster and 6.5 0-60 in a truck is plenty quick. AWD isn’t needed; Expedition is 2wd and never needed to put chains in 10 years. Lastly, don’t think ~50 miles of range is worth $10k for the trips to Vegas; I’m thinking it’s not.

Also, not sure there is an advantage to putting in an order this early. My experience with the Model 3 suggest there isn’t; ordered 10/19 and delivery was 12/28; others ordered in December and got theirs within a week. So unless there is some special perk reservists get this early, I’ll wait to put my order in.

If Elon was right about the 500,000 pre-orders, then this is going to be a very long thread lol

I'm hoping they build the factory in Texas so I can take delivery fresh off the line, but I'll probably also spend 6 months panting anxiously at the perimeter fence

I still believe that deliveries of the cybertruck are going to be right out the gate. It’s a stainless steel uni-body with very minimum parts. Looks to be the easiest Tesla to build. Tesla could pump out the first 250K pre-orders within two months.

Ordered a Duel Motor AWD. Hoping the new battery tech will give it a boost in range by time I get mine.
Pre-Ordered late. March 2020. :(
Still think tis ugly but those specs and price has gotten to me.

There is a 1,000% chance the range is increased by the time of delivery. Tesla was smart to use the “+” sign next to the range. 300+, 500+. The actual range will be much higher. My prediction is that the dual-motor will be 500 and the tri-motor will be 800.

So after playing with the idea since they first did the unveiling, I went ahead and pulled the trigger on my pre-order of the tri-motor, AWD, FSD model today. My thoughts are that when it comes time to actually place my order, I will either push it out a bit if necessary, or, I will quickly assume delivery (I will also be trading my M3 in at that time). If I am unable to sell my M3 back to Tesla for any reason, I will have to go another route to offload it, but I am still getting the truck. It fulfills my desire to achieve practicality (I will actually be using it to haul lumber for building furniture, camping gear, and fishing gear (to include my kayak(s)), while not settling for a regular ICE vehicle. I am pretty much done with owning gas powered cars. I am fully sold on the technology and convenience of electric vehicles having owned my M3 since May 2018, and although there were some initial hiccups with things like software (scary to be driving down the highway at 70mph and have your entire screen reboot on it's own, several times in a row), they were not enough to turn me off of the technology.

I am looking at this vehicle the same way I did the M3; a solid investment from the standpoint of its cost of ownership overall, flexibility to be used for trips, shopping, hauling, and just sitting to watch the stars, and it's awesomeness for drive in movies (it is SOOOOO damned nice on a hot summer night to sit in the vehicle away from bugs). My only concern is overall clearance in my garage, lol. As a bonus, in my state I do not have to pay property tax for one vehicle (I am a 100% disabled vet) which they usually apply to the most expensive vehicle so while I will be paying that sales tax, I don't have the property tax bill every 6 months (especially if I can offload the M3 when I purchase the truck). That all makes it a win-win (well, win-win-win if you count the tax credit that may be applied).

Looking at an X with Wife. Can't get head around $80k for a car, as we nearly always buy low miles used. Plus the cold hit and traveling to our cabin with a trailer might not even be possible with the X.
The tri-motor, 500+ mile Cybertruck would get it done, and for less money than the X! Sprung this idea on Wife. Showed her and her words were. "What the F*&^*&* is that? Definitely not! It's hideous, and not going to happen, I am starting to loath it already". So there you have it. A bit over the top for a midwest Wife.

Asked an X for her, Cybertruck for me. Got no comment.

I placed a downpayment for a tri-motor with FSD to beat the price increase. Can always get $100 back if it doesn't grow on her before my time comes up.

Similar here.

Me: "Tesla is about to announce a pickup. Can I get one?" (phrased for domestic tranquility)
Her: "If it can pull any camper I want, yes."
[CT announced]
Me: "They announced it. I preordered the top end; can pull anything you want."
Her: "OMG that's ugly! No!"

I'll just sit on the preorder and let her come to grips. Worst case, Elon promised refunds if it causes marital discord.

Similar here.

Me: "Tesla is about to announce a pickup. Can I get one?" (phrased for domestic tranquility)
Her: "If it can pull any camper I want, yes."
[CT announced]
Me: "They announced it. I preordered the top end; can pull anything you want."
Her: "OMG that's ugly! No!"

I'll just sit on the preorder and let her come to grips. Worst case, Elon promised refunds if it causes marital discord.

Funny how different women react to the Cybertruck. The first time she saw it she made this kind of visceral moany sound...that I have never been able to make her make in 34 years of marriage. She made a reservation right then, tri-motor FSD. I still have feeling of inadequacy. Not sure what’s going to happen when it’s in the driveway. :(

Just sayin.

Looking at an X with Wife. Can't get head around $80k for a car, as we nearly always buy low miles used. Plus the cold hit and traveling to our cabin with a trailer might not even be possible with the X.
The tri-motor, 500+ mile Cybertruck would get it done, and for less money than the X! Sprung this idea on Wife. Showed her and her words were. "What the F*&^*&* is that? Definitely not! It's hideous, and not going to happen, I am starting to loath it already". So there you have it. A bit over the top for a midwest Wife.

I placed a downpayment for a tri-motor with FSD to beat the price increase. Can always get $100 back if it doesn't grow on her before my time comes up.
It took me just two days to get over the look of the CT. But then I live in Southern California. :)

ordered on Black Friday :) Dual Motor

Attachments

• IMG-5383.PNG
    IMG-5383.PNG
    217.8 KB · Views: 81
I am still not liking the look. BUT elon said in the Earnings report that the actual stainless steel exoskeleton is not finalized and he used the word "armor" or armor-plating when talking of changes before it comes to market. AND said he wanted it to be "more bad ass" than the car that was shown.
So I am feeling even better. The only reason I liked the original look was because it looks that way mostly due to engineering and not designing. I love minimalism in the form of "Just make it do, don't make it look."

You could get MY now....

You could get MY now....

Could, but would like the extra space of the X. The Caddy SRX cargo is just a bit small and is always PACKED when we go places.Y is just a bit larger cargo wise, even with the frunk, but now as large as the X. Lookng at the 5 seater X because it is known to have the most cargo space of the Xs.

Plus the X now has 371 miles so might make our cabin in the winter with cold loss. The heat pump on the Y would be nice, but no heated steering wheel??? WTF Tesla???

And that dash... I'm old school but the 3/Y dash is just to little for me. Give me that center display. I know Cybertruck has the 3/y layout, and not a fan.

Plus, the FWDs are a gimmick, but no one in town has even seen them (this is NOT Calli). Car shows here have old muscle, new muscle, some trucks but no Teslas. Would be cool to show them off.

Planning to get the tri-motor, but with little-to-no intent to actually tow. Looking more at the range, which I hope is greater once it's actually released. I'm big into adventure motorcycling, and love going to truly remote areas. I'll need to range to accomplish this once I start overlanding with the Cybertruck.

Reactions: SmartElectric
Just getting around to posting this. I ordered a Tri-motor with FSD about a week after the announcement. I ordered my 3 at announcement so I'm used to being on the waiting train. I'm not speculating on agonizing over anything. Just call me when it's ready. Meanwhile I'm watching them build the factory down the street. My advice to folks doing their first long wait for a Tesla: Treat it like buying Tesla stock long term. Just check in every few months and wait for the payoff.