Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has put a 2” tow hitch on an S, with a connection to the trailer brakes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I know there are a few threads over the past several years discussing the lack of a factory hitch option for the Model S and what owners have done themselves to provide towing capability for their car.

What I have not been able to find is an owner who has installed a 2” tow hitch on their S that can handle a 2,000 lb or greater trailer and also installed the electrical connection so that the car controls the trailer brakes.

Anyone done this who can share what hitch they installed and how they made the connection from an aftermarket brake controller installed in the car to the brakes in the trailer that is being towed?

Last edited:
I had this same question and found an EV dealer in NZ that appears to have done just that. They use an older P85 to tow a car hauler around, from the looks of it the trailer they're using has trailer brakes. Search "tesla p85 hulk" on google and you'll find pictures/video. It was pretty recent so they may even respond to questions if you ask. I'd guess the biggest consideration was limiting tongue weight.