Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has the boasting right to #1 updated to v8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What a joke. Again Musk didn't keep his promised deadline. And the biggest joke is that he obviously doesn't let anyone at Tesla do PR, it's a one man freak show. Might work right now, as long as he's in the lead, and has all his ever forgiving fanboys for himself. Good luck in a couple years when the big boys in the Industry are on par or better than his cars. Chrysler already got him on mileage, Audi is coming next year with an amazing system, Porsche is going to kill him within the sports car segment (power will not be an issue anymore, everyone will have as much power as they want)...and Tesla really doesn't have anything except the lead and the cult status. That's going to be gone quick once Model 3 comes out, with way too high production numbers for a service aftercare system that already shows big weaknesses despite still tiny car numbers.
Chrysler has 3k dealerhships, I think, where they can install chargers right away, there goes the charger advantage.
And what does Musk do, he plays around on twitter all day, the day when he promised the highly anticipated AP update. Or plays with his rockets, or his solar stuff, or his train vision. Wasn't he ousted as the CEO in all his prior companies? Maybe he can pull it off, I just don't see how. Sorry for the rant.

Whoa! Check your heart rate monitor.

A) It's a firmware update.
B) We still have over an hour to go on the west coast (where Elon lives)
C) Night time doesn't mean end of day and these things generally push overnight
D) He clearly said they were aiming for today and that it might be a slow rollout
E) Not sure if you missed this one but it's firmware. Just firmware. Maybe you thought this was the update that cured cancer? In that case I'm right there with you. Damn it Elon!

I've made all the same complaints before and the criticizing Tesla for over-promising and under-delivering is fair. They deserve it. All that other stuff in your post though is high subjective.

What a joke. Again Musk didn't keep his promised deadline. And the biggest joke is that he obviously doesn't let anyone at Tesla do PR, it's a one man freak show. Might work right now, as long as he's in the lead, and has all his ever forgiving fanboys for himself. Good luck in a couple years when the big boys in the Industry are on par or better than his cars. Chrysler already got him on mileage, Audi is coming next year with an amazing system, Porsche is going to kill him within the sports car segment (power will not be an issue anymore, everyone will have as much power as they want)...and Tesla really doesn't have anything except the lead and the cult status. That's going to be gone quick once Model 3 comes out, with way too high production numbers for a service aftercare system that already shows big weaknesses despite still tiny car numbers.
Chrysler has 3k dealerhships, I think, where they can install chargers right away, there goes the charger advantage.
And what does Musk do, he plays around on twitter all day, the day when he promised the highly anticipated AP update. Or plays with his rockets, or his solar stuff, or his train vision. Wasn't he ousted as the CEO in all his prior companies? Maybe he can pull it off, I just don't see how. Sorry for the rant.
I'd like to suggest you take about 19 minutes to cool off by watching this video of the jokester you just ripped on:

• Funny
Reactions: newtman
Wasnt Steve Jobs ousted from Apple? BTW the NeXT cube was great...

Reactions: SoccerMan94043
He said the goal was to release it on Wednesday. He didn't make any promises though.

When it he said tonight he likely meant sometimes in the early morning hours while you're sleeping. He also said it was going to be released gradually.

I'll be really surprised if I wake up tomorrow and no one has it. But, I won't be the least bit surprised if I don't have it.

It's not just a firmware update, it's a HUGE change, not even update to Teslas AP...unless you're talking about 7.1 :0) It's basically a (forced) restart of the AP, a switch from camera to radar, and it may even downgrade Teslas AP to the level of other car makers.

It might be subjective about some aspects. but it's also important to see it clearly.

The AP is greatly restricted, but you were always SUPPOSED to have at least one hand at the steering wheel anyways. They didn't downgrade how well it followed the lanes. They simply brought it in line with what other manufactures had in terms of nagging. They had to do this because of the amount of media pressure and regulatory bodies. Yes, it sucks we lose something really cool because of people doing dumb things. Like the idiot who fell asleep and ended up on youtube. Or that idiot who crashed in Montana.

What did change significantly was the AEB system. The AEB system had some massive deficiencies, and with version 8.0 they corrected most of them. The switch from Camera+Radar AEB activation to only requiring the radar to activate isn't going to happen immediately. It's going to happen later on after there has been sufficient data gathering.

For the vast majority of us with the AP hardware it adds value to our car.

As posted in a different thread about the Bolt - comparing the Model S/X range to Bolt range is the wrong comparison. We are all team Electric, but the Bolt's 7.2kW charger vs the 120kW Supercharger means that you're going to need a quite a few Snickers bars if you take a Bolt on a road trip. The Supercharger network is a really important part of the Tesla model and even IT'S not fast enough to really make EV a mainstream thing yet.

These points about "miles of total range", dealership count, performance, features, which car can drive itself with the most sensors, aesthetics or how long between CEO tweet and critical mass firmware update do not matter if you are sitting in a parking lot at night with your family for 4 hours trying to get the Bolt (or whatever) ready for the next leg of the trip.

Everything Seashepherd mentions are tiny battles that will go back and forth. The war will be won over convenience relative to gas stations.

S4, I agree, except one point. The current AP worked amazingly, better than anyone else's, hands on the wheel or not. But with the hardware switch to radar they probably, no one knows yet, had to basically restart their AP. And it may not work nearly as smooth anymore as it used to. Or maybe it does. We will know very soon. I really hope it does ;0).
In this aspect I think it's a bigger update, than just a firmware update.

These points about "miles of total range", dealership count, performance, features, which car can drive itself with the most sensors, aesthetics or how long between CEO tweet and critical mass firmware update do not matter if you are sitting in a parking lot at night with your family for 4 hours trying to get the Bolt (or whatever) ready for the next leg of the trip.

Who's to say this won't be the case with Tesla's at some point in the not too distant future?

• Disagree
Reactions: CmdrThor
Yes, it is subjective, of course. Except that he was ousted as a CEO in all other companies.
What?
... a switch from camera to radar
No, it's a switch to camera and radar, each a primary sensor.
Only if one is interested in FUD. Tesla does not lose money on each car, they have a 20-30% margin. I despair at the poor level of analysis being foisted upon the unknowing masses.