TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who has the boasting right to #1 updated to v8.0?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Soolim, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Soolim

Soolim Member

is that you?

• Dislike x 3
  2. 2virgule5

2virgule5 Member

3. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

Tweet from earlier today from Elon Muck reads:

"V8.0 starts downloading tonight. Release will be gradual to make sure there aren't small regressions. Many car configs, many environments."

4. msnow

msnow Active Member

Seriously? He tweeted this out at 7:30 AM PDT.

5. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

6. msnow

msnow Active Member

Right, we are aware of the Climate Control stuff

7. Mike K

Mike K Member

Whoa! Check your heart rate monitor.

A) It's a firmware update.
    B) We still have over an hour to go on the west coast (where Elon lives)
    C) Night time doesn't mean end of day and these things generally push overnight
    D) He clearly said they were aiming for today and that it might be a slow rollout
    E) Not sure if you missed this one but it's firmware. Just firmware. Maybe you thought this was the update that cured cancer? In that case I'm right there with you. Damn it Elon!

I've made all the same complaints before and the criticizing Tesla for over-promising and under-delivering is fair. They deserve it. All that other stuff in your post though is high subjective.

• Like x 7
  8. one5n1neSDoo

one5n1neSDoo Member

I'd like to suggest you take about 19 minutes to cool off by watching this video of the jokester you just ripped on:

• Funny x 1
  9. larmor

larmor Member

Wasnt Steve Jobs ousted from Apple? BTW the NeXT cube was great...

• Like x 1
  10. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

He said the goal was to release it on Wednesday. He didn't make any promises though.

When it he said tonight he likely meant sometimes in the early morning hours while you're sleeping. He also said it was going to be released gradually.

I'll be really surprised if I wake up tomorrow and no one has it. But, I won't be the least bit surprised if I don't have it.

11. Seashepherd

Seashepherd Member

Musk is not Jobs. No one has any idea how Tesla can become profitable. The opposite was the case with Jobs.

• Dislike x 14
    • Like x 2
  12. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Come on guys, Elon is waiting patiently for his update like the rest of us.

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  13. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

It might be subjective about some aspects. but it's also important to see it clearly.

The AP is greatly restricted, but you were always SUPPOSED to have at least one hand at the steering wheel anyways. They didn't downgrade how well it followed the lanes. They simply brought it in line with what other manufactures had in terms of nagging. They had to do this because of the amount of media pressure and regulatory bodies. Yes, it sucks we lose something really cool because of people doing dumb things. Like the idiot who fell asleep and ended up on youtube. Or that idiot who crashed in Montana.

What did change significantly was the AEB system. The AEB system had some massive deficiencies, and with version 8.0 they corrected most of them. The switch from Camera+Radar AEB activation to only requiring the radar to activate isn't going to happen immediately. It's going to happen later on after there has been sufficient data gathering.

For the vast majority of us with the AP hardware it adds value to our car.

14. amallah

amallah Member

As posted in a different thread about the Bolt - comparing the Model S/X range to Bolt range is the wrong comparison. We are all team Electric, but the Bolt's 7.2kW charger vs the 120kW Supercharger means that you're going to need a quite a few Snickers bars if you take a Bolt on a road trip. The Supercharger network is a really important part of the Tesla model and even IT'S not fast enough to really make EV a mainstream thing yet.

These points about "miles of total range", dealership count, performance, features, which car can drive itself with the most sensors, aesthetics or how long between CEO tweet and critical mass firmware update do not matter if you are sitting in a parking lot at night with your family for 4 hours trying to get the Bolt (or whatever) ready for the next leg of the trip.

Everything Seashepherd mentions are tiny battles that will go back and forth. The war will be won over convenience relative to gas stations.

• Like x 3
  15. Seashepherd

Seashepherd Member

S4, I agree, except one point. The current AP worked amazingly, better than anyone else's, hands on the wheel or not. But with the hardware switch to radar they probably, no one knows yet, had to basically restart their AP. And it may not work nearly as smooth anymore as it used to. Or maybe it does. We will know very soon. I really hope it does ;0).
    In this aspect I think it's a bigger update, than just a firmware update.

• Dislike x 4
  16. jevan43

jevan43 Member

Who's to say this won't be the case with Tesla's at some point in the not too distant future?

• Dislike x 1
  17. 3Victoria

3Victoria Member

What?
    No, it's a switch to camera and radar, each a primary sensor.
    Only if one is interested in FUD. Tesla does not lose money on each car, they have a 20-30% margin. I despair at the poor level of analysis being foisted upon the unknowing masses.

• Like x 4
  18. jevan43

jevan43 Member

• Dislike x 3
  19. Seashepherd

Seashepherd Member

Amallah, who knows. If batteries are good for 5-600 miles in a couple years, then how often do you really need to recharge your car outside your home...I don't think power or battery will be a deciding factor in a couple years. I think it's going to be autonomous driving...

• Dislike x 2
  20. 3Victoria

3Victoria Member

Ok last words: Teslas profits are being reinvested into capital expansion expenses. You view is that joe loses money every month because he pays his mortgage.

• Like x 3