Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has the boasting right to #1 updated to v8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Amallah, who knows. If batteries are good for 5-600 miles in a couple years, then how often do you really need to recharge your car outside your home...I don't think power or battery will be a deciding factor in a couple years. I think it's going to be autonomous driving...

A lot of things can alter the equation, but almost everything we're talking about is just a debate over which company will have the biggest piece of the <1% EV market share. For EVs to start getting into the >99% of the rest of the market, there needs to be an affordable car that can give a reasonable alternative to the fact that most people don't even think about refueling a car until the absolute last possible minute. Nissan, Toyota, Chevy, Audi, BMW and Porsche haven't even proposed an idea to address that. The only thing close enough that is even in the pipeline right now are the promises of the Model 3 and 2-3x more Superchargers. Until some other company at least has a *PLAN*, Musk can tweet whenever he feels like it, because there is no serious alternative.

Reactions: robertvg
No, it's a switch to camera and radar, each a primary sensor.

I wish Tesla would clarify exactly what the AEB uses to activate.

As I understand it under Firmware 7.X it used the Camera plus a radar confirmation. Where AEB didn't activate unless both systems detected something. This is why no one ever got AEB to work when they tested it with pedestrians. Clearly MobileEye picks up pedestrians because the Forward collision warning goes off. But, to my knowledge the AEB has never activated for one. This is also why it's failed to activate even for stalled cars that were half way in the lane. Of course the camera saw the stalled car, but the radar didn't (the radar only really works effectively in 7.X for large moving objects).

With Firmware 8.X the first change they're making is improving the amount of data from the radar so it can detect objects that aren't moving. This is what's really incredible about this change. This will greatly enhance AEB out of the gate because now when the camera see's something the radar is MUCH more likely to concur, and the AEB will activate. Tesla also plans on having the AEB activate JUST from the radar detecting, but they're not doing that immediately. It hasn't been said EXACTLY when that switch will happen.

Last edited:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3978806-much-tesla-lose-per-car

It all really depends on which accounting methods are utilized in the computation...
Seeking Alpha??? I'm Sorry, But I Have NEVER Seen A website so blatantly attack a company with FUD ever, in the history of all mankind. Those "articles" are often nothing more than a veiled attempt at destroying the positive that Tesla is trying to accomplish. Some of those "authors" are so full of garbage that I need a front end loader pick up my phone to read their "stories ". What is most disappointing? The site continues to let the "writers" post their garbage. I guess as long as they're getting their Web hits, they don't care. Shame. Journalistic Integrity. Ideas of a bygone era.

Yes, it is subjective, of course. Except that he was ousted as a CEO in all other companies.
It's not just a firmware update, it's a HUGE change, not even update to Teslas AP...unless you're talking about 7.1 :0)
It's basically a (forced) restart of the AP, a switch from camera to radar, and it may even downgrade Teslas AP to the level of other car makers.

Tech maven, what do I not understand?
Interesting write up btw:

Tesla is a hot mess—there is no path to profitability
Short TSLA are we?;)

IMG_4351.JPG IMG_4352.JPG IMG_4353.JPG IMG_4354.JPG IMG_4355.JPG IMG_4356.JPG IMG_4357.JPG IMG_4358.JPG IMG_4359.JPG IMG_4360.JPG

What a joke. Again Musk didn't keep his promised deadline. And the biggest joke is that he obviously doesn't let anyone at Tesla do PR, it's a one man freak show. Might work right now, as long as he's in the lead, and has all his ever forgiving fanboys for himself. Good luck in a couple years when the big boys in the Industry are on par or better than his cars. Chrysler already got him on mileage, Audi is coming next year with an amazing system, Porsche is going to kill him within the sports car segment (power will not be an issue anymore, everyone will have as much power as they want)...and Tesla really doesn't have anything except the lead and the cult status. That's going to be gone quick once Model 3 comes out, with way too high production numbers for a service aftercare system that already shows big weaknesses despite still tiny car numbers.
Chrysler has 3k dealerhships, I think, where they can install chargers right away, there goes the charger advantage.
And what does Musk do, he plays around on twitter all day, the day when he promised the highly anticipated AP update. Or plays with his rockets, or his solar stuff, or his train vision. Wasn't he ousted as the CEO in all his prior companies? Maybe he can pull it off, I just don't see how. Sorry for the rant.

Do you own a Tesla?

Reactions: Chopr147
Btw, Archer, do you have an objection to my statement that no one has any idea how Tesla will ever become profitable?

They're definitely walking a tight rope. There are enormous barriers to entry in automotive, and that's why there hasn't been a new auto company survive in the better part of a century. Tesla has already gone further than any other company since and they've done so because they've let fly with absolutely all of the ammunition. They will either succeed and become the first new automaker of the new millennium or they will run out of cash, go through a crisis and come out as a division of a larger firm. The only certain thing is that if they are timid, they will fail.

I still give them a 50/50 chance to survive as an independent. Tesla has an almost Apple-like following and they show signs of being able to sustain it. That will allow them to keep their selling price up in the face of competition, and even as their production costs drop. And their industrial division - the production of large scale power storage systems - could potentially be a significant source of cash.

I don't place a lot of stock in what the experts are saying. The experts are incredibly bad at predicting what will happen at technological inflection points, simply because things change so chaotically. The most valuable companies in the world today were in dorm rooms 15-20 years ago. Or in Apple's case they were a basket case being propped up by Microsoft to avoid anti-trust litigation. Who would have predicted the current state of affairs? And going back further, you had the same thing happen in the early part of the 20th century - where the advent of practical electrical power and the ICEs led to wholesale turnover in the industrial base.

The advent of EVs and the arrival of cheap solar are just such an inflection point, where the knowledge base and installed infrastructure of an entire industry is as much a hindrance as an asset. I would not hazard a guess as to who will be left standing in 20 years. But I don't think that there are any experts who know any better than any of us.