Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who has the boasting right to #1 updated to v8.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk is not Jobs. No one has any idea how Tesla can become profitable. The opposite was the case with Jobs.
I think in the best case you are being willfully ignorant. Best case for you I mean.

Tesla could already be profitable, comfortably profitable. Against odds and expectations, they built a highly rated and highly acclaimed car (Model S) and sold it with generous profit margins. But profitability, especially in the relative short term, was not the primary goal. The stated goal was and is to accelerate the transition to electric vehicles and sustainable transport in general. If Musk could have kept Tesla private, I'm sure he would have done so.

The catch 22 is that if Tesla had pursued profits and focused on making and selling a high margin vehicle, they would likely have been profitable but they would have failed in their stated mission. The reason so many traditional car makers are reversing course and so suddenly investing in electric vehicles is because Tesla didn't stop with the model S. Tesla boldly announced intentions to sell EVs for the masses and put billions towards this goal in the form of the gigafactory, Fremont expansion, work force expansion, and charger network expansion. The huge positive response to the planned model III is confirmation that the strategy is working. The heavy investment has forced a paradigm shift in the automotive world. That is exactly what Musk wanted to happen.

The current development and expansion costs are huge. That is why the company is not currently profitable. Despite what short sellers and critics say, it's not that the company, the cars (S and X), or EVs in general are unprofitable. The path to profitability is to gradually shift the ratio towards selling more cars and investing a smaller percentage of revenue into development. Whether that will happen is uncertain. But there is a path to get there. A successful model III launch is obviously important.

GM, VW group, and the other legacy automakers already have a lot of the infrastructure, work force, and experience in place from decades of investment. They can and should build great EVs. Tesla does not have these legacy advantages. They've had to build from scratch. They could have tried to build up slowly so as not to burn through cash so quickly, but then they would have been at least a decade behind where they are now. You gotta give credit to Tesla. Cars like the Bolt are proof that Tesla is succeeding.

Ok just went through the pictures. Looks like a good update. I like the improvements to nav and autopilot and media.
Looks like the only thing we didn't get is better phone integration. But otherwise looks like a decent update.
I haven't received the update yet, but based on the above notes, I'm giving it a 7/10.

Of course if there is better phone integration, the rating will go higher.

And what does Musk do, he plays around on twitter all day, the day when he promised the highly anticipated AP update. Or plays with his rockets, or his solar stuff, or his train vision. Wasn't he ousted as the CEO in all his prior companies? Maybe he can pull it off, I just don't see how. Sorry for the rant.

Meh.. Jobs was tossed out. He learned from the experience and came back a lot smarter. Yes Musk is doing a lot of things...but that's a characteristic of the types of slightly nutso visionaries who do these sorts of things. Read about Ford, Hughes or Edison.

Thanks for the pictures. Here is my first take.

The click to start and click to end voice commands are an improvement but everyone else is able to parse the audio rather than force the user to parse when the voice command ends. You still can't say "Call John Doe mobile" for people with multiple phone numbers. So... a nice improvement but still far behind the rest of the industry. It seems that hands free calling still involves looking at the screen rather than staying focused on traffic.

I had hoped for more support of iPod commands I.e. shuffle play, playlists etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Blastphemy
Btw, Archer, do you have an objection to my statement that no one has any idea how Tesla will ever become profitable?
You need to understand accounting, depreciation, the distinction between current expenses and capital expenses, and a host of other such issues. If you do you'll see no company with a growth rate above 50% pa is likely to be profitable on a GAAP basis.

Then you need to understand the difference between Tesla sales recognition and that of other public auto companies. That difference alone depresses current income by 20-25% because Tesla makes sales regonition when the vehicle is delivered to final purchaser whereas all other recognize income when vehicles are shipped from the factory to dealers. If there were a zero growth situation that would not be so dramatic but Teska is growing fast, so it is very much material.

If you crunch the public numbers, which few analysts bother to do, you'll find out Tesla is profitable right now on a steady state basis. That is maybe interesting; it was interesting enough for me to run the numbers. However, it is not real world because Tesla is now investing to increase production by 400% or so.

As a major factor one needs also to consider that Tesla is highly integrated, so must invest in many things that most car builders do not. In particular Tesla is investing in Lithium mines (via forward purchasing contracts) and the gigafactory. Another two huge investment areas are showrooms/service centers and Superchargers. Nobody else has these items. The Superchargers are front-ended investments that are handily recouped on vehicle sales today, and probably via direct owner payments in the future. The showrooms/service centers are also front ended and will be profitable with increased volume.

I don't know whether you are posing serious questions or are just trying to foment negative opinions regarding Tesla. Assuming you are serious, nobody sane would argue that Tesla does not face serious, perhaps unprecedented, challenges. Nobody has ever done what they are trying to do. Quoting Mark Twain: "It is hard to predict the future, especially because it has not yet happened". We do not know the future of Tesla. Using the semi-derisive term "fanboy" might describe many of us, but that does not mean anybody minimizes the challenges facing Tesla.

Disclosure: I am long TSLA and have added to my TSLA holdings during recent price dips.

Agree. Not sure how annoying the nanny will be, though. It seems like a lot of my false hands on wheel prompts went away with the security update.

I don't mind leaving a few fingers on the wheel pretty much all the time - it makes me more connected to what's happening anyway.

This is such an awesome update. Not going to get hung up on the "nanny" stuff as this was completely inevitable giving the current circumstances(accidents, NHTSA involvement, "no hands" youtube videos etc.). I normally drive holding the bottom of the steering wheel anyhow so my "work around" will be to continue holding the bottom of the steering wheel...easy.

This is such an awesome update. Not going to get hung up on the "nanny" stuff as this was completely inevitable giving the current circumstances(accidents, NHTSA involvement, "no hands" youtube videos etc.). I normally drive holding the bottom of the steering wheel anyhow so my "work around" will be to continue holding the bottom of the steering wheel...easy.

So the auto-steer functionality is totally irrelevant for you then. But for everyone else this will be annoying. Especially on normal high-way driving. Something I do about 200 miles of every day.

I'm seeing that a lot of people are starting to get the update now. Anyone in Europe?

It would be very interesting to know if they're actually doing it worldwide this time like Elon said (and like he also said when 7.0 was released, but it didn't turn out to be true that time).

So the auto-steer functionality is totally irrelevant for you then. But for everyone else this will be annoying. Especially on normal high-way driving. Something I do about 200 miles of every day.

If you do your 200 miles per day of highway driving without touching the wheel, it will likely affect you.

But in that case, you aren't really driving or even prepared to drive, are you?

The only reason I thought this would be annoying for me was the frequent prompts to hold the wheel while I was already touching the wheel I had under 2.32.100, but those seem mostly gone in 2.36.31, so I'm not worried.

If you do your 200 miles per day of highway driving without touching the wheel, it will likely affect you.

But in that case, you aren't really driving or even prepared to drive, are you?

The only reason I thought this would be annoying for me was the frequent prompts to hold the wheel while I was already touching the wheel I had under 2.32.100, but those seem mostly gone in 2.36.31, so I'm not worried.

Who said that I'm driving without touching the wheel? I wrote that I do 200 miles of highway-driving every day. Why wouldn't I be prepeared to drive och drive? I never wrote how much of these 200 miles are on autopilot...

Who said that I'm driving without touching the wheel? I wrote that I do 200 miles of highway-driving every day. Why wouldn't I be prepeared to drive och drive? I never wrote how much of these 200 miles are on autopilot...

Well, the point I was trying to make is that if you are holding the wheel even lightly you probably won't get any nags at all, so it isn't an issue.

It's only if you 'drive' with your hands in your lap that the software will annoy you.

Thanks for the pictures. Here is my first take.

The click to start and click to end voice commands are an improvement but everyone else is able to parse the audio rather than force the user to parse when the voice command ends. You still can't say "Call John Doe mobile" for people with multiple phone numbers. So... a nice improvement but still far behind the rest of the industry. It seems that hands free calling still involves looking at the screen rather than staying focused on traffic.

I had hoped for more support of iPod commands I.e. shuffle play, playlists etc.
I don't think iPod is supported anyway except through Bluetooth.