TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Who hasn't upgraded from AP1 functionality to EAP?

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by polymathic, Nov 22, 2016.

Tags:
?

After placing your September AP1 order, did you upgraded to to EAP?

1. Yes. Better spend $2,000 now than $3,000 later.

10 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No. AP1 functionality is fine and I bet I will end up with EAP anyway without having to upgrade.

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. polymathic

polymathic Member

So a bunch of us MS and MX buyers are ending up with AP2 hardware after ordering and paying for AP1. From reading the many threads on the subject, it seems a majority have opted to upgrade to EAP immediately. A poll should settle this question.

If most upgraded to EAP, it would seem keeping a separate downgraded version for AP2 less interesting for Tesla. Taking into account all cars coming off the factory don't even have cruise control enabled right now seems to indicate there is work left, and that developing a sub-EAP version in parallel for just a few buyers would be time poorly spent.

Surely, Tesla is rushing to get some AP functionality to the new cars as soon as possible; after all, they are delivering cars now with features we paid for missing.

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

"A poll should settle this question"...You must be new here... :rolleyes:

• Funny x 1
  3. gearchruncher

gearchruncher Member

I'm not deciding if I upgrade until my delivery day. Why decide ahead of time?

However, the math has already been done, and there's 10-20K cars in the AP2 HW but purchased with AP1 state, which means Tesla has $20M-$40M revenue to lose if they move everyone to EAP for free. They can surely afford a little bit of software work for $40M. So if you're waiting hoping it will just come for free, it seems unlikely.

• Like x 1
  4. polymathic

polymathic Member

But of the the 10-20k cars with AP2 HW, it seems many have already upgraded. So that number may be in fact far smaller.

5. Terthen

Terthen Member

I upgraded... main reason was I'm hedging a little bit one day they'll get to full autonomous driving but I'm not 100% sure about that... I would pay for that if they get there, so I'm paying now for EAP to save $1000 here knowing if I waited until they get to full autonomous driving it would have cost me $2000 more than paying today.

6. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I've been giving full autonomous driving a lot of thought lately. If you believe Tesla will get there, then I guess (as long as you have the money) there is no reason to wait, pay for it now at the reduced rate.

I'm sure regulations will eventually allow it, but even if it doesn't, how different is it from what we have today? Today we have to monitor it while driving certain "allowable" sections of one's trip. That "allowable" section will eventually increase to the complete trip and as long we monitor it, regulations shouldn't be a problem, right? Is there anyone with knowledge in this area able to comment?

7. polymathic

polymathic Member

I've thinking along those same lines, vandacca. Even if regulations don't change, full autonomy might be reached but require a licensed driver at the wheel. I could live with that, too.

• Like x 1
  8. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

#8 Canuck, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    It only makes to sense to allow full autonomy but keep a driver behind the wheel, and nags, as part of the process to determine issues and when the driver should be removed from the equation. That's what I see Tesla doing, as is trying to push it out fast, by releasing the videos. Next (or probably right now) they are asking regulators to let AP2.0 read lights, stop signs, turn, park and everything else with a driver in the seat as a stepping stone before the removal of the driver. They will say to regulators, let us prove it to you with a driver as a fail-safe. I can't see why regulators would not allow that since AP1.0 is allowed and it can drive right through a red light whereas AP2.0 will at least stop you and is safer in so many ways.

So regulators approve, say within a few months or so.

Then one of two things will happen: (1) Tesla will activate all hardware under EAP and give it to everyone who paid for EAP and has AP2.0; or (2) Tesla will say regulators are asking for the driver to remain in the seat before full autonomy is approved and if you want in you have to pay to activate FSD -- but it will be with a driver, or you can just wait and pay the extra fee when driverless full autonomy is allowed, but that could be some time later. My prediction is on (2) since Tesla needs cash and removal of the driver could take some time. Why give away something for free when you can charge for it?