Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who here is going to lose 3G Connectivity - Feb 2022 when it sunsets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Akikiki

A'-Lo-HA ! y'all
Nov 26, 2012
Kaneohe, HI
Curious & Reminder. Are you going to lose Internet Connectivity come Feb 2022 as announced?
FYI, 2012-2015QTR1 Model S's came factory with 3G. Late March/early April '15 was start date for LTE in Model S.

More than a year ago, AT&T announced they were shutting down the 3G network.

Have you made that appointment to upgrade to LTE?

MCU1 replacements and MCU2 upgrades have been coming with LTE upgrades.

But unless people specifically requested, authorized or cut a deal with Tesla, the LTE upgrades were not included in the eMMC warranty replacements.

Who? How many will lose connectivity if all goes as planned?

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
As a temporary solution, you can tether to your phone (personal hotspot). Permanent solution: a modem upgrade ($200):

• Funny
Curious & Reminder. Are you going to lose Internet Connectivity come Feb 2022 as announced?
FYI, 2012-2015QTR1 Model S's came factory with 3G. Late March/early April '15 was start date for LTE in Model S.

More than a year ago, AT&T announced they were shutting down the 3G network.

Have you made that appointment to upgrade to LTE?

MCU1 replacements and MCU2 upgrades have been coming with LTE upgrades.

But unless people specifically requested, authorized or cut a deal with Tesla, the LTE upgrades were not included in the eMMC warranty replacements.

Who? How many will lose connectivity if all goes as planned?
tesla is responsible to replace the 3g with lte at there cost. you know how many people have free premium connectivity? 1000's that is a contract that tesla has to stand by or breach of contract I can see 10's of thousands of people that still have 3g.

tesla is responsible to replace the 3g with lte at there cost. you know how many people have free premium connectivity? 1000's that is a contract that tesla has to stand by or breach of contract I can see 10's of thousands of people that still have 3g.

Modem upgrades are not promised. In fact, they are explicitly excluded. See below:

Who is eligible for a Premium Connectivity subscription?
All Model S, Model X, Model Y and Model 3 ordered on or after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).

Premium Connectivity FAQ

Last edited:
Modem upgrades are not promised. In fact, they are explicitly excluded. See below:

All Model S, Model X, Model Y and Model 3 ordered on or after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).

[URL='https://www.tesla.
the modem is the main part of Elons great 17" vertical MCU1 which is so outdated like still using a iPhone 1 without that 3g modem how is would Tesla send OTA updates and Navi and see every move you make?

• Love

Premium Connectivity FAQ
ok so no premium connectivity, what does the standard connectivity and Tesla's OTA updates use for the cellular connection?

Premium Connectivity FAQ
[/QUOTE
so no premium connectivity, what does the standard connectivity and Tesla's OTA updates use for the cellular connection?

ok so no premium connectivity, what does the standard connectivity and Tesla's OTA updates use for the cellular connection?

Standard connectivity is over Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth for audio streaming). Most OTA updates also require Wi-Fi. If you check the link I provided above it explains the Standard Connectivity:

“All cars come with Standard Connectivity which provides access to most connectivity features over Wi-Fi only, in addition to basic maps and navigation and music streaming over Bluetooth®.“

• Informative
Standard connectivity is over Wi-Fi (or Bluetooth for audio streaming). Most OTA updates also require Wi-Fi. If you check the link I provided above it explains the Standard Connectivity:

“All cars come with Standard Connectivity which provides access to most connectivity features over Wi-Fi only, in addition to basic maps and navigation and music streaming over Bluetooth®.“
this is really confusing what does navigation work off? what does the mobile app use to communicate between your phone and your car? there has to be a cellular connection of some kind?? I would think Tesla would be discussing this potential disaster before it actually happens. do they have 50k+ lte modems in stock? it will be a nightmare for Tesla if it happens as you describe it? P.S. I own 2 MS that have 3g still.

att is shutting down their 3G network in Feb. t-mobile is shutting down theres in July. Tesla must have their own cellular network?

this is really confusing what does navigation work off? what does the mobile app use to communicate between your phone and your car?
The navigation is based on preloaded maps, which are updated from time to time via Wi-Fi. The app will work over Wi-Fi, but will not work over 3G: if you have Wi-Fi where the car is parked, you will be able to access it via the app.

att is shutting down their 3G network in Feb. t-mobile is shutting down theres in July. Tesla must have their own cellular network?
I believe Tesla uses AT&T in the US.

Last edited:
The navigation is based on preloaded maps, which are updated from time to time via Wi-Fi. The app will work over Wi-Fi, but will not work over 3G.

I believe Tesla uses AT&T in the US.
I dont think your correct about this
The 3G sunset is a major problem, not specific to Tesla. A lot of smartphones will become useless next year. Won’t even have any trade-in value.
yes but each cellular company has its own 3g network. so your saying come February if people have not upgraded to 4g they will loose premium connectivity and the mobile app functions? I don't think that's possible Tesla does not require premium connectivity to use the mobile app. Do you know what kind of fallout from Tesla owners there would be? Tesla would have mentioned something about this by now.

I am just repeating what Tesla is saying on the website. Don’t shoot the messenger if you don’t like the message! ;)

This was posted in July:

I am just repeating what Tesla is saying on the website. Don’t shoot the messenger if you don’t like the message! ;)

This was posted in July:

Sorry about the attempted shooting!! you should have mentioned that post in the beginning. I think it's going to be disaster for Tesla. so many owners are going to find out that they lost all those functions the day after att kills 3g. the SC's will be swamped with customers who don't know what happened. You would think Elon would be on top of this planning ahead. but just like the emmc recall he fails in bringing his own technology up to date. Sad

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Sorry about the attempted shooting!! you should have mentioned that post in the beginning.
I actually did! I mentioned it in my very first post in this thread! :)

I think it's going to be disaster for Tesla. so many owners are going to find out that they lost all those functions the day after att kills 3g. the SC's will be swamped with customers who don't know what happened.

I agree! I am surprised that Tesla hasn’t contacted all affected owners like yourself proactively.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and teacher
Sorry about the attempted shooting!! you should have mentioned that post in the beginning. I think it's going to be disaster for Tesla. so many owners are going to find out that they lost all those functions the day after att kills 3g. the SC's will be swamped with customers who don't know what happened. You would think Elon would be on top of this planning ahead. but just like the emmc recall he fails in bringing his own technology up to date. Sad
Yes, you may be correct. Come the days after 3G sunset, there may be a lot of S owners upset. But people have to apply a little common sense and connect the dots. There's been warnings and announcements its coming. Across the vast universe? No. But its out there. There's those that no matter how much or how many times they have been told, will behave as if they never heard it anyway. Tesla and Elon both have got other things on their plate than worry about making sure everyone has connectivity via cell service.

Tesla has created an upgrade path. 1) pay to replace the 3G card to LTE car. or 2) pay to replace the MCU1 w refurbished version that includes LTE, or 3) pay for the MCU2 upgrade.

It appears to me, that you are thinking Tesla has an obligation to perform one of those three things for free? If you were still using an iPhone 2 or 3, (3G) would you expect Apple to give you a new iPhone so you can use a cell network? Please understand, I am not being critical of your thinking - I think I am just laying out the facts.