Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who here is going to lose 3G Connectivity - Feb 2022 when it sunsets?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know for sure that the Navigation, the Autopilot, and even the FSD will work without cellular. I’ve driven in areas without signal. You lose the satellite view maps, which require cellular data, but those are for visualization only. The maps that the car uses for navigation are pre-loaded and do not depend on the cellular connectivity.

What I am curious about is how Supercharging will work for cars without LTE come February. I assume that connectivity is required for Supercharging. I see three possible option for Tesla:
  1. They could allow Supercharger activation via the mobile app, just like they now do it in Netherlands for non-Tesla cars
  2. They could install Wi-Fi at all Superchargers. They started installing Starlink at some Superchargers, but I doubt they can install that at all locations by February.
  3. And there is always the tethering option: connect the car to the personal Wi-Fi hotspot on the phone. This only works if your phone company and your data plan support tethering. Not all of them do.
I guess we’ll find out soon enough…

Yes, you may be correct. Come the days after 3G sunset, there may be a lot of S owners upset. But people have to apply a little common sense and connect the dots. There's been warnings and announcements its coming. Across the vast universe? No. But its out there. There's those that no matter how much or how many times they have been told, will behave as if they never heard it anyway. Tesla and Elon both have got other things on their plate than worry about making sure everyone has connectivity via cell service.

Tesla has created an upgrade path. 1) pay to replace the 3G card to LTE car. or 2) pay to replace the MCU1 w refurbished version that includes LTE, or 3) pay for the MCU2 upgrade.

It appears to me, that you are thinking Tesla has an obligation to perform one of those three things for free? If you were still using an iPhone 2 or 3, (3G) would you expect Apple to give you a new iPhone so you can use a cell network? Please understand, I am not being critical of your thinking - I think I am just laying out the facts.
what is the cost on a refurbished MCU1? what is refurbished in it? there are probably 1000's of MS owners who don't belong to this club or any online Tesla clubs/forums and not tech savvy how would they know about the end of 3g? I had a few different cars in for service since June one was for the emmc recall and had them replace the touchscreen because of leakage at the same time they didn't mention I could upgrade to 4g/ LTE or MCU2 (this was my 1st time owning a Tesla and 1st visit to a SC ) less then a week later I find out about the MCU2 upgrade so I rescheduled to get the upgrade, they didn't want to credit me for the touchscreen saying they told ne about the upgrade when I was getting the emmc replaced which was a lie,, that's a nother story. in the past 3 months I took 2 other MS in for the emmc recall they didn't mention anything about the death of att 3g. I myself just found out about this recently. it's strange you can use some of the mobile app functions but not all? I'm mostly curious about the refurbished MCU1. thank you.

Last edited:
Modem upgrades are not promised. In fact, they are explicitly excluded. See below:

Who is eligible for a Premium Connectivity subscription?
All Model S, Model X, Model Y and Model 3 ordered on or after July 1, 2018 can subscribe to Premium Connectivity. All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).

Premium Connectivity FAQ
so if you have a 2017 s with new infotainment(mcu2 i think?) installed i dont think its 3g.

so if you have a 2017 s with new infotainment(mcu2 i think?) installed i dont think its 3g.
You should be fine. Do you get the LTE sign at the top of the screen when you drive?

683F12DC-C968-4A63-8C64-C4AD3C1F2227.jpeg

what is the cost on a refurbished MCU1? what is refurbished in it? there are probably 1000's of MS owners who don't belong to this club or any online Tesla clubs/forums and not tech savvy how would they know about the end of 3g? I had a few different cars in for service since June one was for the emmc recall and had them replace the touchscreen because of leakage at the same time they didn't mention I could upgrade to 4g/ LTE or MCU2 (this was my 1st time owning a Tesla and 1st visit to a SC ) less then a week later I find out about the MCU2 upgrade so I rescheduled to get the upgrade, they didn't want to credit me for the touchscreen saying they told ne about the upgrade when I was getting the emmc replaced which was a lie,, that's a nother story. in the past 3 months I took 2 other MS in for the emmc recall they didn't mention anything about the death of att 3g. I myself just found out about this recently. it's strange you can use some of the mobile app functions but not all? I'm mostly curious about the refurbished MCU1. thank you.
I've not seen anyone post the cost of installed MCU1 lately. I think though that last time I heard, it was about $1000-$1100 with old one turned in to Tesla.

What's refurbished? I don't know. Do we routinely know everything that is replaced in an ICE's automatic transmission or alternator? The MCU1 replaces what's necessary. We think the eMMC daughterboard is new now, not refurbished. The 3G card is replaced with a LTE card, its not refurbished. I suspect it has a new SD Card where the maps are loaded, simply because why risk reusing an old SD card when a new one is more convenient to install. Maybe has a new screen, we know most are new screens, because refurbishing screen is a risk as they are not as reliable.

I agree many people don't know about 3G sunsetting. I guess you will need to discuss with the SC people why they didn't offer you options. I think we should expect every tech, every service advisor and every sales person to know the entire history of Tesla, strong points and weak points. However, I also think that's not reasonable to expect, because some of those folks were probably in middle school when Tesla started and knows squat.

But would you concede that with the tools available to every consumer, Google, Twitter, FB, its hard not to find information on Tesla's strong and weak spots? Did you research possible - such as eMMC problems - the worse thing that can go wrong and should not go wrong, before you bought your? Its not hard to find out about eMMC, MCU1 and MCU2 and even 3G in a Tesla if you Google. So, frankly those that don't know about 3G sunset conditions are not looking at what's available.

I don't mean to sound harsh to you or your questions. Just comes out that way. And I apologize if I even come close to offending. If you have already got the MCU2 upgrade, this next section is not directed to you, but to others that are reading.

As for MCU1. Do not buy it. Sure, a refurbished MCU1 puts your (any year) Tesla back to just like it was the day it was sold. But MCU2 makes it better than it was when sold new. BETTER. MCU1's cost is about/roughly 60% of the cost of MCU2. I think it will cost you between $1500-$2000 installed. I was one of the first people to get MCU2 installed. Just lucky. I immediately posted a long thread on it. Look for it, you can find it. I have said more than once, that MCU2 is worth twice what they charge for it. And when I got mine, the cost was $2500. Yes, I thought/still think its a bargain at $2,000 The difference, the refresh of the entire MCU is amazing compared to MCU1.

Its not strange that some functions of the app work and others don't. If you could put iOS 14 on an iPhone 4, some apps/features are going to work and many are not. Different, yet not different. No guarantee ever that all features will work on every year.

I've not seen anyone post the cost of installed MCU1 lately. I think though that last time I heard, it was about $1000-$1100 with old one turned in to Tesla.

What's refurbished? I don't know. Do we routinely know everything that is replaced in an ICE's automatic transmission or alternator? The MCU1 replaces what's necessary. We think the eMMC daughterboard is new now, not refurbished. The 3G card is replaced with a LTE card, its not refurbished. I suspect it has a new SD Card where the maps are loaded, simply because why risk reusing an old SD card when a new one is more convenient to install. Maybe has a new screen, we know most are new screens, because refurbishing screen is a risk as they are not as reliable.

I agree many people don't know about 3G sunsetting. I guess you will need to discuss with the SC people why they didn't offer you options. I think we should expect every tech, every service advisor and every sales person to know the entire history of Tesla, strong points and weak points. However, I also think that's not reasonable to expect, because some of those folks were probably in middle school when Tesla started and knows squat.

But would you concede that with the tools available to every consumer, Google, Twitter, FB, its hard not to find information on Tesla's strong and weak spots? Did you research possible - such as eMMC problems - the worse thing that can go wrong and should not go wrong, before you bought your? Its not hard to find out about eMMC, MCU1 and MCU2 and even 3G in a Tesla if you Google. So, frankly those that don't know about 3G sunset conditions are not looking at what's available.

I don't mean to sound harsh to you or your questions. Just comes out that way. And I apologize if I even come close to offending. If you have already got the MCU2 upgrade, this next section is not directed to you, but to others that are reading.

As for MCU1. Do not buy it. Sure, a refurbished MCU1 puts your (any year) Tesla back to just like it was the day it was sold. But MCU2 makes it better than it was when sold new. BETTER. MCU1's cost is about/roughly 60% of the cost of MCU2. I think it will cost you between $1500-$2000 installed. I was one of the first people to get MCU2 installed. Just lucky. I immediately posted a long thread on it. Look for it, you can find it. I have said more than once, that MCU2 is worth twice what they charge for it. And when I got mine, the cost was $2500. Yes, I thought/still think its a bargain at $2,000 The difference, the refresh of the entire MCU is amazing compared to MCU1.

Its not strange that some functions of the app work and others don't. If you could put iOS 14 on an iPhone 4, some apps/features are going to work and many are not. Different, yet not different. No guarantee ever that all features will work on every year.

@Akikiki - Not on topic, but some owners have been reporting an increase on vampire drain after their MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, IIRC, due to lack of standby power supply of the older cars. Have you experienced this issue?

@Akikiki - Not on topic, but some owners have been reporting an increase on vampire drain after their MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade, IIRC, due to lack of standby power supply of the older cars. Have you experienced this issue?
Aloha @Droschke, Sorry, I don't know what standby power supply of the older cars, you are referring to. Short answer... No, to increase as in vampire drain. Yes, I have a vampire drain. Drain of about 2-3 miles of range a day. While that may to some people seem a lot, considering my car, I think its about right. Since my second S, four years ago, and this one now another four years, total eight now I've had two 2-channel Blackvues installed, running. So, yes, a drain.

MCU2 was installed in my '17 S, on 30 Mar 2020, 21 months ago. I guess no one keeps a log of daily or such battery drain. I don't. Thinking back, what its been like over the years, since MCU2, the vampire drain is not more than before MCU2.

• Helpful
Reactions: Droschke
@wk057 has a great explanation of what's going on with the higher vampire drain on pre-April 2015 built Model S':
Unfortunately, pre-Q2-2015-ish vehicles have a lack of hardware required for low-cost sleep.
MCU2 was designed with the standby supply in mind and thus doesn't have the same hardware abilities for power saving. For example, the modem, gateway, and CPU are able to be powered directly from the standby supply in the pack. In older S', this has to happen from the normal 12V system without hardware for any intermediate modes. Based on my understanding of the hardware, a retrofit capability wasn't planned so no need for hardware capable of significant power saving was required. The savings of not requiring closed contactors and DCDC enabled outweighed any potential benefit by an order of magnitude.

Then when these units get installed in older no-standby supply cars, they're wasteful since they use more power AND the contactors need to be on and cycle.

MCU1 was designed without the standby supply in mind, so it was designed to not require continuous power for a lot of functions along with hardware controls to keep portions in lower power modes.
Tesla has been trying to optimize this through software with a bit of crude predictive day to day driver's routines trying to determine when to be at the ready and when not to be, but there's just not a lot they can do on earlier models that lack the in-battery standby power supply.

Tesla Support page on 3G Retirement, in case you are looking for it.
and bonus: Ingineerix's recent video on Modems
Its a pleasure to have Ingineerix setup in a new location and back feeding us good info.

Tesla 3G connectivity going away in 2022!

I'm about to go pick up my 2013. I had the safety recall (daughter board/memory card?) and the "LTE Upgrade" for an additional $200.00. When they did this on your cars, did they get your "free premium connectivity" (assuming you had it to begin with) all logged in and working okay? Also, so I now have 4g LTE or is it 3g LTE?

I'm about to go pick up my 2013. I had the safety recall (daughter board/memory card?) and the "LTE Upgrade" for an additional $200.00. When they did this on your cars, did they get your "free premium connectivity" (assuming you had it to begin with) all logged in and working okay? Also, so I now have 4g LTE or is it 3g LTE?
If you had Free Premium Connectivity before, you will have it after. Its explained on the Tesla.com/support page covering connectivity. You will see the LTE designation on the screen. And while 3G is still alive and working in some areas, if your LTE service is weak, it may fall back to 3G, (again) until 3G is gone. There is no such animal as 3G LTE.

You won't notice much difference in your connection or things you use that depend on your connection between your before and after or after and before.

If you had Free Premium Connectivity before, you will have it after. Its explained on the Tesla.com/support page covering connectivity. You will see the LTE designation on the screen. And while 3G is still alive and working in some areas, if your LTE service is weak, it may fall back to 3G, (again) until 3G is gone. There is no such animal as 3G LTE.

You won't notice much difference in your connection or things you use that depend on your connection between your before and after or after and before.
Oh good. Thanks. One of the times I went to get my car they'd signed me out of the Free one and it took me getting a manager to get me signed back in. It sounds like that's no longer an issue. Appreciate the link too. Off to read... :)

Okay. Found the pertinent paragraph:
All cars ordered on or before June 30, 2018 receive Premium Connectivity automatically for the lifetime of the car (excluding retrofits or upgrades required for any features or services externally supplied to the vehicle – e.g. telecommunications network).

Last edited:
I actually received a notice a couple weeks ago on my screen reminding me of that sunset and encouraging me to schedule a SC appointment. My first instinct was to go ahead and just upgrade to MC2 for $1500 (I have a 2013 with no autopilot, so it’s cheaper). I felt like that was a price I was willing to pay for essentially a new and faster computer. HOWEVER … switching to MC2 will cause you to lose XM, AM radio, AND FM radio! That’s a bit overboard to me. There are times when I want access to terrestrial radio (traffic, sports, etc) and there isn’t a streaming alternative. To suddenly make all of those disappear is a bit overkill. I get it — some people believe AM radio is obsolete, but even if you buy into that argument, why eliminate FM? Tesla‘s official response: “Not all customers use their FM radio.“ Guess what … not all customers use the farting feature or the Romance mode either. That’s a lame excuse. Every vehicle on the planet can get FM radio. Seems like needless overkill just to have slightly faster processor and karaoke. (Full disclosure: They will let you keep FM and XM if you pay even more for their “Radio Upgrade”, so in essence, you’re paying them them to take away those features from you and then put two out of three of them back). The value proposition just wasn’t working for me, so I decided to just pay the couple hundred bucks and get the LTE upgrade and keep my XM, AM, and FM radio. I’ll have to learn how to manage without Netflix and Sonic the Hedgehog in my car.

That is one way of looking at it. Or you could look at it as given two choices. A stripped down price to basics with simply the MCU2 upgrade (believe ME, its an UPGRADE !!), for $1500 or the better choice for $$$ ($500) more and get XM/FM too - just like you had. I would think many people would be pleased there is two choices vice just a basic - lose the radio choice. I am an example. I jumped right in with two feet in Mar 2020 and got one of the first MCU2 installed in older cars. And I paid dearly for it. I paid $2500 for my MCU2 with no radio. And I am very pleased with MCU2. I would do it again.

I think the price is now $2000 and for my $2500, I now would get the XM/FM option. But when I did mine, there was no future radio. A good friend (Teslatap.com) and I started working to restore the radio. We got one installed and wired. And the last thing I needed to make it work was GW configuration change. Telsa Corporate told my SC Manager not to enable mine (they knew of our effort). So they didn't. Mine has the installed FM radio and can't use it. Still my S is better today than it was 5 years ago when I bought it. Cost me only $2500 to bring it forward to almost a new one - with rattles. Almost a new one. And yes, I can still get the FM radio back, for the same $500. Its not worth it. I didn't use anything but streaming before, so not going to spend $500 for something I don't use. Thank you Tesla for giving me that choice.

My message is: be thankful you have been given choices. Toys aside, Netflix, Disney+ aside, you would not believe the difference in the MCU between 1 and 2 until you sit in somone's older car that has the upgrade.