Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who in California or good weather state uses mud flaps/guards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the Tesla ones, was driving up the Cajon pass on way to Vegas about a month ago. Snow on the road and I don't know what they put down on road there but I could hear it hitting the wheel wells. When i finally got to stop the area in front of the rear door was rough looking and feeling. The rocker panel is very marked up too. I assume anytime, you get into bad weather you are going to hit this area of the car. I also have the PPF but haven't installed it yet.

Reactions: Gigaron
I think PPF is critical. Even in SoCal I had a number of chips on the rear doors within 500 miles. Since Tesla fixed that paint and I put on PPF I haven't seen further damage (I don't have mud flaps).

I expect the plastic lower trim will get damaged over time but I'm less concerned with that than the paint.

I live in the Los Angeles area and I have PPF installed along the lower portion of the doors, but still installed the front mud-flaps. For me it's mainly to keep rocks from flying up and hitting the paint. On the rare occasions that it rains, my car stays pretty clean now. It's a pretty cheap purchase for the added protection.

I think PPF is critical. Even in SoCal I had a number of chips on the rear doors within 500 miles. Since Tesla fixed that paint and I put on PPF I haven't seen further damage (I don't have mud flaps).

I expect the plastic lower trim will get damaged over time but I'm less concerned with that than the paint.

Are you referring to the PPF that Tesla offers? If so i was wondering how that small amount of PPF would really be effective.

Bay Area MY LR with mudflaps.

Switched from OEM Tesla ones to these a couple of weeks ago.

20210213_230251.jpg
20210213_230257.jpg
20210213_230153.jpg

Reactions: angus[Y]oung