Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • TMC Podcast #11 will stream live Saturday at 1PM PDT. We will be joined by special guest JT Stukes, a former engineer at Tesla. You can watch it live and participate in the chat on YouTube. We will addressing viewer comments and questions. For more information, follow the TMC Podcast #11 thread.

Who in California or good weather state uses mud flaps/guards

I have the Tesla ones, was driving up the Cajon pass on way to Vegas about a month ago. Snow on the road and I don't know what they put down on road there but I could hear it hitting the wheel wells. When i finally got to stop the area in front of the rear door was rough looking and feeling. The rocker panel is very marked up too. I assume anytime, you get into bad weather you are going to hit this area of the car. I also have the PPF but haven't installed it yet.

Reactions: Gigaron
I think PPF is critical. Even in SoCal I had a number of chips on the rear doors within 500 miles. Since Tesla fixed that paint and I put on PPF I haven't seen further damage (I don't have mud flaps).

I expect the plastic lower trim will get damaged over time but I'm less concerned with that than the paint.

I live in the Los Angeles area and I have PPF installed along the lower portion of the doors, but still installed the front mud-flaps. For me it's mainly to keep rocks from flying up and hitting the paint. On the rare occasions that it rains, my car stays pretty clean now. It's a pretty cheap purchase for the added protection.

hnguy054

2021 MY SR/2022 MY P
Jan 14, 2021
CA
I think PPF is critical. Even in SoCal I had a number of chips on the rear doors within 500 miles. Since Tesla fixed that paint and I put on PPF I haven't seen further damage (I don't have mud flaps).

I expect the plastic lower trim will get damaged over time but I'm less concerned with that than the paint.

Are you referring to the PPF that Tesla offers? If so i was wondering how that small amount of PPF would really be effective.

Bay Area MY LR with mudflaps.

Switched from OEM Tesla ones to these a couple of weeks ago.

20210213_230251.jpg
20210213_230257.jpg
20210213_230153.jpg

Reactions: srlawren

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC