Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is getting this low frequency rumbling with the M3? Is it the Heat pump or something else? Poll

Do you have a low frequency rumbling and noice when parked?

• No with a 2021 Model 3

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ParHunter

Nov 2, 2020
Surrey, UK
I am trying to figure out where the this low frequency rumbling and noise is coming from in my 2021 Model 3. I get it every 40-60 seconds when I park (you do get it while driving as well but you don’t notice it as much).

In some posts I’ve read that this is normal in the 2021 models and that it is caused by the Heat pump. Other posts suggest that this happens on pre-model 2021 M3 as well when there is an imbalance in the condenser fan (?) and should be fixed.

So I thought I do a poll. If most 2021 M3 owners have this rumble and noise and hardly any pre-2021 owners then it is clear it is most likely the heat pump. If you get both 2021 and pre-2021 owners complaining (but in a smaller percentage then the ones that don’t have it) then it is clear there is something wrong and this is not normal.

Please vote according to your experience.

Llama.

Jan 25, 2021
Leeds, UK
I’m pretty sure I heard this today in my MIC 2021 LR while charging at home. It was like a low thrum that would phase in and then out again every 10 seconds or so. It wasn’t quiet noise but noticeable

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
Yup got this. Did a little research and got told that its due to be fixed in a firmware update. Something to do with the heat pump ramping up too aggresively. Not sure I buy it but....forgot to ask about it when I dropped my car off at the SC actually. Hopefully I'll remember by the time I pick it up again.

Big Earl

bnkwupt
Supporting Member
Jul 12, 2017
Springfield, VA
It’s the air conditioning compressor (aka heat pump). My 2018 does the same thing with the air conditioning running; toward the end of a supercharging session.

Irata

Oct 16, 2020
UK
It's resonance from the heat pump ramping up. Looking under the frunk it's obvious, the whole thing shudders periodically.

MacJester

Aug 11, 2019
Cranbrook
I get this too, on my 2021 SR+. It sounds like it comes from the back of the car too me though, and I wondered if it might be motor connected. It never happened on my old company car which was an LR.

Keithgrif

Dec 10, 2020
Brackley
I have it (2021 M3) but I'm sure it wasn't there for the first month or so, appeared perhaps In Feb (don't hold me to that date) so maybe it was the result of a software update?

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC