Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is going to be "that guy" camping out on March 30th?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always chuckled at those hardcore deal-seekers who camp out for Black Friday, but I admit that when it comes to queuing up overnight for the Model 3 pre-order date I've given the idea more than a brief moment of thought -- probably far more than I should have. Anybody else thinking about lining up the day prior (or even earlier)?

I'll be "that guy" all day long. I enjoy these types of things, hoops to jump through and blood on the knuckles so-to-speak. Without this sort of personalized excitement, what is life? I highly doubt you'd have to camp out, and you could probably sleep in until 7:30 and get to the store by 8 with a cup of coffee to join a few others in line, but it's the whole adventure that is part of the experience.

Some people will wait an extra 14 hours and just throw in an order online and move forward with their day, and some will plan their lives around March 31st. It's that variety that makes enthusiasts who they are, and I personally never fault passion or enthusiasm in anyone.

I don't think Asia is going to get a jump over North America. To be fair, I think Tesla will work out a time so all can order at the same time - like sync the time to 10AM East coast time.

I will be that guy down under :). I agree though I'm thinkin Tesla will try to work something out to align times. They said the 31st, not at store opening on the 31st. So since our 9am on a Thursday is your night of the 30th I assume we'll get to order instore sometime in the evening of the 31st when the US stores open. As we get closer I am hoping we'll find out. I have two friends also who are prepared to camp chair it with me if we are going to get first dibs on the morning of the 31st. Otherwise we'll try to make a bit of a party before we go into the store at 6pm or whatever. Regardless look for my 360 degree video live blogging on the morning of the 31st outside the Melbourne store (just because we can :)).

I imagine "that guy" is going to also be "that guy" that the media (and shorts) go after in 2018 when his Model 3 is flat-bed towed back to a service center for a 12volt battery replacement or new drive unit or other glitch.

I waited until the high teens in VINs for Model S, I'll prolly wait into the teens for Model 3 as well.

I've asked a similar question, and the response is along the lines of "If you have to ask, you'll never understand." So I just let them have their fun. :biggrin:

Personally, I just want to make sure I get one because I'm in the market for a new car and this is the one I want (I think, pending March 30/31st reveal). Albeit, I have wait a year and a half, at least the search is over as far as I'm concerned. I feel like since there's so many more potential buyers due to the price point, it's either you're in immediately on reserve day (sound the horse gate opening) or you wait TWO and half years to get one because all the spots were eaten up by overwhelming response.

So, I am a new Tesla enthusiast, and don't currently drive a hybrid or electric. However, I have followed the M3 and believe it will be a "compelling" vehicle, so I was planning on "standing in line" on the 31st. However that changed Weds. morning when TM called me at work, after I the night before, I'd begun, inputting my info on the TM website "schedule a MS test drive", but aborted prior to submitting. I told the TM rep that I wasn't really interested in the MS, but was interested in putting a deposit on the M3 that morning. He insisted that I could do that and also test drive the MS. He told me the MS would have features and drive characteristic similar to the M3, and would be worthwhile test drive. I know they think they can upsell me, but MS isn't in my budget. Anyway he booked me for the first appointment of the day (10:00AM), and said it was fine that I really wanted to put my M3 deposit down, and didn't want to burden the TM sales staff on a very busy day.
Why would TM be scheduling test drive on the 31st, and why don't they anticipate they will be overwhelmed with M3 depositor's?

They start at 10:00. I'll show up with at folding chair at 7:30 or 8:00, but that is all.

BTW, I live 9 miles from the Tesla store / service center

I want to get a Model Y for my wife...but my enthusiasm may be a bit lower due to having a TMS already, so I get my "Tesla Fix" everyday.

I'll be "that guy" all day long. I enjoy these types of things, hoops to jump through and blood on the knuckles so-to-speak. Without this sort of personalized excitement, what is life? I highly doubt you'd have to camp out, and you could probably sleep in until 7:30 and get to the store by 8 with a cup of coffee to join a few others in line, but it's the whole adventure that is part of the experience.

Some people will wait an extra 14 hours and just throw in an order online and move forward with their day, and some will plan their lives around March 31st. It's that variety that makes enthusiasts who they are, and I personally never fault passion or enthusiasm in anyone.
PERFECTLY stated, I couldn't agree more.I am definitely joining the overnight crowd (already rumored to be several hundred strong) at the Montreal store and am really looking forward to finally meeting some of my fellow Tesla nuts in person. I think it'll be a lot of fun, and since I plan on ticking all the boxes I'm hoping an early reservation number will translate to an early delivery. Yes, I'm sure that means debugging. But hey, somebody's gotta do it :smile: