Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Who is going to be "that guy" camping out on March 30th?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Brad. Party officially kicks off at 7:30 a.m. Don't be "casually late" if you want good position in line. ;)

https://www.facebook.com/events/655987787875219/

You may want to check with Charlotte store. A friend of mine took a test drive there yesterday and sales rep mentioned they'd just found out there was some issue with Charlotte store taking reservations on the 31st. Apparently Raleigh is the nearest location that will take reservations. Either way, I'm planning to be there.

Camping out on 3rd Street Promenade store in Santa Monica, CA

There are rumors of people camping on the doorstep at least overnight. The expectation is that doors open and reservations start getting processed at 10am.

Will camp out after dinner, with my friend Jeff. Reserving the model 3 for the wife. Nicely Thursday is a holiday for me as Cesar Chavez day. Last time I did this was for the iPhone 5. I still have all my arsenal (USC tailgate chair, etc.) .

Like old times. Anyone else will show at the Santa Monica store?

Correct! As i understand the system now the credit will mostly benefit those that dont really need that tax credit in order to afford the car...
No, more accurately, the FULL tax credit will benefit those who... [blah, blah, blah]

The fact is, anyone who ultimately pays in taxes for the year will benefit. If you pay $84 in taxes for the year, you get $84 back. You still benefit.

As for the credit mostly benefiting "those that dont really need that tax credit," that very much depends on the situation and is going to be completely wrong for most. If someone is single, has very few living expenses, and plans on paying cash, then perhaps the full tax credit somewhat may apply to your statement. But a combined family income of $77K isn't that much for a family with kids in a single family home. For most families, every penny still counts! That tax credit can easily be the deciding factor on buying a Model 3, even for families who will qualify for the FULL tax credit.

BTW, I will be taking the day off work and arriving when the store opens, but I can't bring myself to stand in line. If I didn't own an S already, I'd probably be there an hour or so early, but it's a bit less urgent for me now.

I'm convinced that anyone in the US who puts down a reservation in the first few days is still going to qualify for [up to] the full tax credit. Tesla should be ramping up production fairly quickly, and since the full credit applies to both quantity of US deliveries and the next 3 to 6 months after that number is hit, they should be able to accommodate all of the early Model 3 buyers.

Last edited:
No, more accurately, the FULL tax credit will benefit those who... [blah, blah, blah]

The fact is, anyone who ultimately pays in taxes for the year will benefit. If you pay $84 in taxes for the year, you get $84 back. You still benefit.

As for the credit mostly benefiting "those that dont really need that tax credit," that very much depends on the situation and is going to be completely wrong for most. If someone is single, has very few living expenses, and plans on paying cash, then perhaps the full tax credit somewhat may apply to your statement. But a combined family income of $77K isn't that much for a family with kids in a single family home. For most families, every penny still counts! That tax credit can easily be the deciding factor on buying a Model 3, even for families who will qualify for the FULL tax credit.

BTW, I will be taking the day off work and arriving when the store opens, but I can't bring myself to stand in line. If I didn't own an S already, I'd probably be there an hour or so early, but it's a bit less urgent for me now.

I'm convinced that anyone in the US who puts down a reservation in the first few days is still going to qualify for [up to] the full tax credit. Tesla should be ramping up production fairly quickly, and since the full credit applies to both quantity of US deliveries and the next 3 to 6 months after that number is hit, they should be able to accommodate all of the early Model 3 buyers.

The assumption I made is since tesla will produce the highly optioned cars first, in other words the expensive versions, the bigger part of the credit would go to those that can afford an expensive car anyway and would not really need the credit. The credit would in a way be used to cover the luxury options for the already rich. If its a Good car the rich will buy It anyway. Id like to see the people with a lower budget be able to get into the EV market. Thats when we will see a real switch into electric cars for the masses!

For the long run I like the Tax Credit setup the way it is. Car manufacturers make a lot of money on options. Tesla needs to make as much money as possible in the short run to build a sustainable company. In the long run I think they will be able to offer an affordable EV for the masses. An EV version of the Model T.

Don't get me wrong, I wish there were tax credits for everyone but in real world economics there are limited resources to work with.

The assumption I made is since tesla will produce the highly optioned cars first, in other words the expensive versions, the bigger part of the credit would go to those that can afford an expensive car anyway and would not really need the credit. The credit would in a way be used to cover the luxury options for the already rich. If its a Good car the rich will buy It anyway. Id like to see the people with a lower budget be able to get into the EV market. Thats when we will see a real switch into electric cars for the masses!
I don't know how much the folks in these Model 3 threads read through or participate in the Model S/X threads, but there's a very obvious class difference. Don't be offended, just read on...

Just a couple days ago I was reading a thread where the guy was on the fence about getting Ludicrous on his upcoming Tesla purchase. He actually said, "It's only another $10,000." Nobody on the following pages/posts reacted to that comment, while I was completely flabbergasted! Then there was another post many moons ago about what other cars people own other than their Model S's. Answers were coming back about owning MULTIPLE other high end cars, like Lotus, Porsche, Lexus, Lamborghini, etc. Beautiful high end cars, but several people were posting that they owned numerous other high end cars. Yeah, some people out there have got some serious cash! (So jealous.)

There's an obvious income and status gap between some of the threads, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It is what it is. But I get that people who can afford to own a few of those high end cars really [really!] don't need the rebates as you said, and they will, of course, be the folks buying the top-of-the-line Model 3's. I totally see where you're coming from.

On a side note, post #15 in that thread is one of my favorite pictures of two absolutely beautiful cars none-to-nose (compliments of user @flodrab).

This conversation got seriously derailed.

Well, I'll just add my $0.029 (just like gas stations, adding that extra $0.009 :wink:).

The US Government SHOULD make the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit an instant rebate off the initial purchase price instead of this Tax Credit business.

Make it clear, make it simple, give the full benefit to everyone that buys a new EV (up to the first 1,000,000 per company :wink:). If the customer is paying the full price to put the vehicle on the road, the US Government should pay out the full $7,500 to each customer, PERIOD.

Well, I'll just add my $0.029 (just like gas stations, adding that extra $0.009 :wink:).

The US Government SHOULD make the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit an instant rebate off the initial purchase price instead of this Tax Credit business.

Make it clear, make it simple, give the full benefit to everyone that buys a new EV (up to the first 1,000,000 per company :wink:). If the customer is paying the full price to put the vehicle on the road, the US Government should pay out the full $7,500 to each customer, PERIOD.

Amen Brother!

That's a nice idea, but totally unrealistic.[emoji1]

Why not just have the government buy a new EV for every citizen?

You may want to check with Charlotte store. A friend of mine took a test drive there yesterday and sales rep mentioned they'd just found out there was some issue with Charlotte store taking reservations on the 31st. Apparently Raleigh is the nearest location that will take reservations. Either way, I'm planning to be there.

We are looking into this. We are going to plan a roadtrip to Raleigh if this turns out to be definitely the situation. Stay tuned here:

We are looking into this. We are going to plan a roadtrip to Raleigh if this turns out to be definitely the situation. Stay tuned here:

I've just checked with the Charlotte-Matthews store. The rep I spoke with ([male] didn't provide his name) indicated that it's on as expected; he said that there was no reason to think that the Charlotte-Matthews store would not be accepting reservations.

I'll check frequently over the upcoming weeks and update here and on Facebook if I hear any news about Charlotte-Matthews not accepting reservations.

• Helpful
Reactions: mikes_fsd