TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Who is going to try out autopilot?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Discoducky, Oct 11, 2015.

?

Who is going to try out autopilot?

Poll closed Oct 16, 2015.
  1. Will try it straightaway as soon as software is available and install completes

90.2%
  2. Might wait until a few others have tried it out first and then I'll do it; good or bad

2.3%
  3. Might wait until a few others say it is good, then I'll try it out

3.0%
  4. Might wait until a majority say it is good, then I'll try it out

2.3%
  5. Might wait quite a while, not sure when I'll try it out

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Not planning on trying it out anytime soon

2.3%
  1. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Sounds like it is going to be available on Thursday (fingers crossed), but who is going to try it out?

Poll:

1. I will try it straightaway as soon as software is available and install completes
    2. I might wait until a few others have tried it out first and then I'll do it; good or bad
    3. I will wait until a few others say it is good, then I'll try it out
    4. I will wait until a majority say it is good, then I'll try it out
    5. I will wait a while, not sure when I'll try it out
    6. I'm not planning on trying it out

2. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

What? I'll try it in my garage. Literally the first time it lets me push the button.

3. DougH

DougH Active Member

Who is going to wait to try Autopilot that they have been waiting almost a year for.....come on, really?

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

I'm with ya! But others might be hesitant and I'm wondering how many.

Public poll!

5. garwood

garwood Member

Why wouldn't anyone try it; just hover over the wheel as you go done the highway, I am sure it will work great and if it doesn't then I will be ready to do what is necessary. There have been many buyers including myself who purchased this car knowing that this technology would be offered soon.

6. slevit1md

slevit1md Member

Option 1, which I suspect most others will also choose.

Hoping I have the update before Saturday night, which is the first time I have anywhere of distance to drive to. Also hoping it works on roads other than highways. My drive that night is on mostly long stretches of country road with speed limits around 60, but not highway. It should work perfectly on those types of roads, but we'll see soon enough! Haven't heard of any system to be sure you're on an actual highway, and have heard that it will work on most roads, so hoping that winds up being true.

7. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Be careful out there until you know your limits (or should I say the AP limits). My worry is that even though people are still legally responsible for the actions of the car that we will get someone who tries the AP in a situation is was not designed for and someone will get hurt.

8. Jhall118

Jhall118 Member

I've been texting while driving on the freeway with TACC for a while now. If anything, Autopilot will make me more safe, not less so. icon12.gif

9. green1

green1 Active Member

Well, my car and V7.0 are now scheduled to arrive on the same day. I will be trying as many features as I possibly can! That said, I suspect that it will be delivered with 6.2 as it's being trucked here from another city, so I don't know when the update will happen.

I especially hope to have v7.0 working a week later though because I have an 8-9 hour road trip planned that weekend and I'd love to let auto-pilot do it's thing.

Of course I am not worried about it because I will be using it the way Tesla has always said it should be used, under constant direct supervision from an alert driver.

10. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

That^^^^

But I think the AP in tests I've seen often has problems at 4-way stops when it's completely driverless input. Too polite probably!

11. green1

green1 Active Member

What freeways near you have 4-way stops? that sounds suspiciously like a surface street where Tesla has stated time and time again not to use auto-pilot.

12. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Well, obvs, not freeways. Just in watching many tests of AP cars of all types, the 4-way stop seems to be the biggest hurdle. If it is to ultimately be completely AP, it will need to eventually get there. That is all I meant to ponder. And I have read no statements from Tesla about not using AP on "surface streets," whatever that means.

13. green1

green1 Active Member

I don't know where people get this idea that Tesla has made self driving, they haven't, and they've been incredibly clear and consistent with all their messaging.
    AP is not self driving, it is intended ONLY for freeway use, and is to be supervised by an alert driver at all times.

This is explained in the initial release presentation by Elon himself, it is clearly stated in the user manual, it's on the website, and it has been repeated ad-nauseum.

I really wish people would quit claiming it should do something Tesla has never said it would, and complaining when it doesn't.

14. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I said earlier that I would wait. But I know that won't be able to stand it.

15. JenniferQ

JenniferQ Member

Again, not what I said.

16. spentan

spentan Active Member

I've been trying to get on the EAP for the public beta for months. I have a P85D and I cannot wait

17. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

Saw this article: http://learnbonds.com/123986/tesla-motors-inc-tsla-autopilot-is-late-and-lacking-but-thats-okay/

and this part jumped out at me

Gosh I hope it does ;) and it seems to be the opinion of this guy

so it is very good to see that just about everyone is willing to give it a try from the current poll!

18. Jhall118

Jhall118 Member

From the current model S website advertising autopilot stuff:

" Standard equipment safety features are constantly monitoring stop signs, traffic signals and pedestrians, as well as for unintentional lane changes. "

I've brought this up a few times, because it seems to be in direct contradiction with the "freeway/highway only" mantra. Highways do have traffic lights, and maybe stop signs. From the current website, it sounds like we should expect our cars to eventually be able to respond to both, AND pedestrians.

19. freeewilly

freeewilly Member

A question just pop up in my mind. Will AP detect a Stop sign and stop the car?

20. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Nope.